[APP][4.0+] MP4 Video Repair

Search This thread

iwobanas

Aug 26, 2013
Has your phone battery ever died during video recording and you ended up with the unplayable file?
If so, Video Repair is for your!

Video Repair allows easy recovery of corrupted MP4 files recorded with Android devices. At the moment it supports H264, AAC and MPEG4-SP (the last one is rather slow). If other codecs turn out to be popular I’ll implement it as well. If your recording got interrupted and you’re getting "Can't play this video." error message when trying to open the video Video Repair should be able to fix it. All you need is another working video file recorded using the same camera settings which can be used as reference. Video Repair will attempt to automatically pick the reference file.

Video Repair doesn’t support fixing or transoding of videos downloaded from the internet or recorded with other devices.

This app is a work-in-progress.
The UI isn’t polished yet but the main functionality is stable.
I successfully recovered couple video files recorded on different devices (luckily all my devices used H264/AAC codecs). I wanted to release it asap so that I can get your feedback and judge what are the common problems with broken files.

Video Repair is available on Google Play and you can watch the repaired video for free. Sharing or saving requires a small in-app purchase.

Please post your feedback below.
If your video can't be recovered by current version of Video Repair and you're OK with sharing it please email me a broken video and another short video recorded with the same device to android.video.repair@gmail.com . I'll do my best to allow fixing of your file in future versions of Video Repair.

Smallprint
Video Repair uses unmodified code of JAAD library licensed under LGPL.

Last edited:

iwobanas

Aug 26, 2013
any future support for mp4?

You're asking about MPEG4-SP (mp4v) video codec?
I'm working on this feature right now. So far I managed to recover some short videos but there are still some artifacts which I need to fix.
Please send me some sample videos (two couple seconds long videos is enough) to android.video.repair@gmail.com so that I can ensure that your codec is supported in the future updates.

Reactions: M7ammad

mrtruckincowboy

Jun 16, 2011
I'm working on this feature right now. So far I managed to recover some short videos but there are still some artifacts which I need to fix.
Please send me some sample videos (two couple seconds long videos is enough) to android.video.repair@gmail.com so that I can ensure that your codec is supported in the future updates.
i took a 5 min video with my galazy s4.
it wasn't recoverable i believe. no pc program would do it. so thanks anyways i changed the codec I'm using.

Sent from my jflte using Tapatalk

jhoff909

Sep 27, 2010
Seattle
I've a Galaxy S3 and it normally generates mp4 files but left me with a temp_video file. I "fixed" it with your app and on the phone the audio is "OK" I think but the video is maybe 1/2 time? If I play it on my PC with vlc media player, both audio and video are choppy and if I play it with the windows media player it's the same as on my phone - audio is the right speed but the video is maybe 1/2 time or so. Should my phone be supported? I'd send you the file but it's 1.2G or so... I could put it up on an ftp server if you like? PM me?

iwobanas

Aug 26, 2013
I've a Galaxy S3 and it normally generates mp4 files but left me with a temp_video file. I "fixed" it with your app and on the phone the audio is "OK" I think but the video is maybe 1/2 time? If I play it on my PC with vlc media player, both audio and video are choppy and if I play it with the windows media player it's the same as on my phone - audio is the right speed but the video is maybe 1/2 time or so.

Yes, Galaxy S3 is supported.
I added some fixes in the latest update (version 0.2.4) which should make a playback consistent on VLC and Android video player.
Unfortunately in the file you sent me the camera crashed in the middle of the recording so there is video only for the first half of the file, the rest is audio only. There is no way to recover more video since is not there :( Optimistically, the glass is half full tho (half of the file is playable)!

Reactions: M7ammad

crunchymusic

Aug 2, 2014
I added some fixes in the latest update (version 0.2.4) which should make a playback consistent on VLC and Android video player.
Unfortunately in the file you sent me the camera crashed in the middle of the recording so there is video only for the first half of the file, the rest is audio only. There is no way to recover more video since is not there :( Optimistically, the glass is half full tho (half of the file is playable)!

Phone died at the end of recording video and left temp file. I couldn't get your app to recognize it until I renamed it temp_file.mp4. Ran it and it worked on the first minute and a half. The video is 22 minutes long. Any advice?

BTW this is the furthest I have gotten with the video out of almost 10 programs- keep up the good work!

meanhacker

Aug 21, 2012
I have 3 .tmp files and I'm using one .mp4 file as a reference. Worked like a charm. If anyone has problems importing the files, make sure they're in .tmp extension. :good: Good project. Keep up the development. You are saving a lot of people's data. Cheers. :eek:

M7ammad

Aug 17, 2012
OH GOD IT WORKED , I swear i tried like every program on the internet but none of them worked, some worked but the video was out of sync with the audio but this great app worked in matter of seconds . I LOVE YOU <3
please tell me how to donate as i don't have a credit card

THANKS!! <3

i'll finish all the Thanks on you :D

coolsid8

Feb 15, 2011
India
Can you please do something for audio repair too ? I have few audio recordings which have the same issue.

nuke235

Mar 6, 2013
Worked great on a 5 minute MP4.

I was skeptical at first, but it did a great job. Keep up the good work ?

Sent from my SCH-I535 using XDA Free mobile app

techjunkie860

Jun 22, 2010
Connecticut
This app is truly amazing, worked flawlessly on my Galaxy Note 3. When I select the donate button nothing happens though. I wanted to email the developer but I didn't see the email address in the play store description. I figured I could find more information here. I was also wondering anything in the works for photos?

iwobanas

Aug 26, 2013
Please consider adding support for . m4v video format
m4v should be compatible with mp4.
On what device you recorded your m4v files?
If you email me some short sample m4v videos recorded on this device I can analyze it and see if/when it'll be possible to add support for such files.

Lento10

Apr 4, 2010
m4v should be compatible with mp4.
On what device you recorded your m4v files?
If you email me some short sample m4v videos recorded on this device I can analyze it and see if/when it'll be possible to add support for such files.

I recorded on a HTC EVO 4G, three years ago. Basically the video and sound are not sync. The video is moving but the sound is a couple of seconds behind.

iwobanas

Aug 26, 2013
The video is moving but the sound is a couple of seconds behind.
The file was not playable when you recorded it and after processing by MP4 Video Repair it's playable but there is a sync issue right?
Is the difference constant through the video or is sync better at the beginning and then getting worse over time?
If the difference is constant the only way to sync it is to use some external (PC) app and synchronize it manually.
Otherwise, if the difference is increasing over time, you may try running the broken file through the latest version of MP4 Video Repair or trying to select different reference file.

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    Has your phone battery ever died during video recording and you ended up with the unplayable file?
    If so, Video Repair is for your!

Video Repair allows easy recovery of corrupted MP4 files recorded with Android devices. At the moment it supports H264, AAC and MPEG4-SP (the last one is rather slow). If other codecs turn out to be popular I’ll implement it as well. If your recording got interrupted and you’re getting "Can't play this video." error message when trying to open the video Video Repair should be able to fix it. All you need is another working video file recorded using the same camera settings which can be used as reference. Video Repair will attempt to automatically pick the reference file.

Video Repair doesn’t support fixing or transoding of videos downloaded from the internet or recorded with other devices.

This app is a work-in-progress.
    The UI isn’t polished yet but the main functionality is stable.
    I successfully recovered couple video files recorded on different devices (luckily all my devices used H264/AAC codecs). I wanted to release it asap so that I can get your feedback and judge what are the common problems with broken files.

Video Repair is available on Google Play and you can watch the repaired video for free. Sharing or saving requires a small in-app purchase.

Please post your feedback below.
    If your video can't be recovered by current version of Video Repair and you're OK with sharing it please email me a broken video and another short video recorded with the same device to android.video.repair@gmail.com . I'll do my best to allow fixing of your file in future versions of Video Repair.

Smallprint
    Video Repair uses unmodified code of JAAD library licensed under LGPL.
    OP says it's free but your fixed video is held hostage for a 4.80 registration fee!

"Video Repair is now free on Google Play!
    Support the development of this app by donating"

Donation != Registration fee
    any future support for mp4?

I've a Galaxy S3 and it normally generates mp4 files but left me with a temp_video file. I "fixed" it with your app and on the phone the audio is "OK" I think but the video is maybe 1/2 time? If I play it on my PC with vlc media player, both audio and video are choppy and if I play it with the windows media player it's the same as on my phone - audio is the right speed but the video is maybe 1/2 time or so.

I am trying to recover a MP4 video file shot with my phone (LG E975). Android OS crashed during video recording and after device restart the video file was unplayable.

I tried to recover it using VideoRepair but when selecting video it says that no video data was found in the selected file. The MP4 file is about 3.4GB.

After some research I managed to recover it using a PC software but recovered file had no sound. I was hoping that I could use VideoRepair to recover both video and sound. :)

This issue may be caused by memory issue... I haven't tested the app on such a huge files. Please try recovering the file with the latest version of MP4 Video Repair (0.2.6) and if you get the same error select "Report a problem" from menu and send me the bug report. This will help me to diagnose the problem and fix it in a future updates.