MHL Cable Discussion Thread

Search This thread

BygSii

Jan 27, 2013
I wanted to make this a discussion thread for MHL cables. Currently, I have a Rocketfish MHL Cable and I love it. It doesn't have to be plugged into the wall via micro usb for it to work, unlike my ONN brand cable.

Other things I would like everyone to discuss, is quality and content. I love the quality of picture that mine displays, pretty sure it's 1080p, but how about other brands?

Now for content. Has anyone been successful in getting a MHL Cable to work with protected material? For example, when I hook mine up and try to watch NFL Mobile, it says "HDMI Is Not Supported". Is there a Rom that will work? Maybe an App to download? Xposed Framework module?

Also, speaking of nfl games, has anyone been successful in getting a Super Nintendo emulator working with hdmi and two controllers for playing multiplayer games?

Basically, let's discuss anything and everything MHL for HTC One M8!!!

dragontology

Dec 29, 2010
North Carolina
I never put much thought into MHL, but came to this topic hoping to learn something. I found your cable on Amazon, and a lot of people are saying it doesn't work. Others are saying it does, but with an adapter. Together, the two add up to the cost of a Chromecast (which I have no experience with), so, what does an MHL cable do that Chromecast doesn't, aside from charging your phone, of course.

BygSii

Jan 27, 2013
I never put much thought into MHL, but came to this topic hoping to learn something.

I'm hoping to learn something too. I'm going to buy a chrome cast tonight. I did some searching on the web and found out that I can use my HTC One M8 to screen mirror or mirrorcast to my TV. Someone out their has created an App that enables mirroring with any rooted device. Link is here https://www.androidfilehost.com/?fid=23578570567717826

The guys over at Wal-Mart were nice enough to let my play and connect a chrome cast up to my phone. After downloading the file, I was able to watch NFL Mobile Network and Stream Twitch to a TV without any problems. There was a slight lag from what the phone showed, but nothing terrible as the sound and video synced up perfectly on the tv I was testing it out on.

I'm glad I got those two apps to stream to a TV. Not sure if an MHL Cable is going to offer anything more than a chrome cast. I'll see if I can tell a difference in quality or lag input. Thanks for bringing up the chrome cast. I know the HTC One M8 mirror option isn't supported yet, but with the phone being rooted and the extra app enabled, I can now stream anything and everything from my phone to my TV.

robocuff

Jul 23, 2011
I haven't had any experience at all with MHL but do have a few thoughts about it vs Chromecast. I come from a long list of Motorola phones which all came with a dedicated HDMI port. If MHL is the same thing as HDMI, Chromecast is the way to go. At least for me. Since getting the ability to mirror on Chromecast, I really can't think of any advantage of using HDMI. There's a couple of really good advantages for using Chromecast though. Assuming MHL works the same way HDMI does, using it doesn't allow you to do anything with your device while mirroring on the TV. If you do something on the phone, the TV displays it. Also, the screen on your device has to remain on all the time. If you happen to use/stream Netflix or Youtube or some such thing, the screen never shuts off. However, if you use Chromecast for those types of things (or other apps that support it) you can still use the phone to play a game, browse the web or whatever it is you want to do. It has no effect on the movie you're playing. A big plus is you can also turn the screen off while streaming a movie or whatever. If you turn the screen off while streaming a 2 hour movie while using Chromecast, the battery drain is next to nothing compared to HDMI (again, assuming MHL is the same). If you mirror with Chromecast, then things are pretty much the same. The ability to turn the screen off or browse the web, etc.while streaming media is a huge advantage for Chromecast. At least, the way I use my phone, it is for me.

I apologize if my post is somewhat off topic but I figured since Chromecast came into the conversation and I do have experience with HDMI, I'd put my two cents worth in. Just my thoughts on the subject.

Last edited:

okiegirl85

Aug 17, 2015
Valrico
Best MHL for HTCOne M8

Hello , I just purchased an MHL cable for my phone and it only works intermittently. You mentioned the rocketfish. Is it reliable and doesn't cut out?

QUOTE=BygSii;55211766]I wanted to make this a discussion thread for MHL cables. Currently, I have a Rocketfish MHL Cable and I love it. It doesn't have to be plugged into the wall via micro usb for it to work, unlike my ONN brand cable.

Other things I would like everyone to discuss, is quality and content. I love the quality of picture that mine displays, pretty sure it's 1080p, but how about other brands?

Now for content. Has anyone been successful in getting a MHL Cable to work with protected material? For example, when I hook mine up and try to watch NFL Mobile, it says "HDMI Is Not Supported". Is there a Rom that will work? Maybe an App to download? Xposed Framework module?

Also, speaking of nfl games, has anyone been successful in getting a Super Nintendo emulator working with hdmi and two controllers for playing multiplayer games?

Basically, let's discuss anything and everything MHL for HTC One M8!!![/QUOTE]

schneid

Dec 3, 2007
In the wind
I use one with my video head unit in my vehicle. I can mirror anything on my phone to it. I also have a MirrorLink device. All just different ways to skin a cat.