[Q] Want to go from CM7 to ICS, need some help

Search This thread

Mintyass

Feb 15, 2011
The last time I flashed a custom rom to my phone was CyanogenMod-7.1.0-RC1-N1.

I'd really like to get ICS on it, but the process seems just so much more confusing this time around. If anyone give me a breakdown of what I'd need to do, or even if they could just point me in the right direction, I'd be grateful.

Y2Ne1

Feb 7, 2012
Philly , USA
www.youtube.com
i never messed with that as they are always a lil buggy i like sense better ^_^ try asking people in that thread im sure they be happy to help you bro

sorry i couldn't help :(

taodan

Nov 27, 2011
LineageOS

I'd really like to get ICS on it, but the process seems just so much more confusing this time around. If anyone give me a breakdown of what I'd need to do, or even if they could just point me in the right direction, I'd be grateful.
There are at least 3 ICS ROMs with 2 are in the working progress and the other we don't know what is the status of it. Spend some time to read first to gain some knowledge and procedures. They are in the Development section of Nexus One. And, remember, once you have Ice Cream Sandwich you don't want to have Gingerbread :)

Last edited:
Reactions: galaxys s

Jaiy

Apr 22, 2011
Boston, MA
The process is actually easier than the process you went through to root your phone and install CM7.

First, download the ICS firmware zip file to your phone's sdcard.

Next, make your backup using TitaniumBackup.

For most ICS firmware, you'll need to repartition your hboot. Google for blackrose-manual_120216.zip, download to your computer, unzip and look for the hboot_brcust-220-10-206.nb0 file. This one is pre-configured with the right partition sizes. Follow the instructions in the README file, which are basically:

Update your recovery firmware, by downloading to your computer and then using fastboot from your computer. I used the Amon-RA recovery for CM and stayed with it for ICS.

On the phone, enable USB Debugging in the CM Developer settings menu.

Boot the phone into the bootloader and go to FastBoot mode. It'll tell you what HBOOT you currently have. Read the instructions in the blackrose README to see which (if any) of the goXX.lol files you need. Then, on the computer:
Code:
fastboot flash recovery goXX.lol
fastboot flash recovery recovery-RA-passion-v2.2.1.img

Next, flash the new hboot:
Code:
fastboot flash hboot hboot_brcust-220-10-206.nb0
The blackrose-manual zip contains fastboot binaries for Linux, Mac and Windows. If you need a fastboot for FreeBSD, send me a PM.

Then boot into recovery, do a Nandroid backup, then a full wipe, then install the ICS firmware zip you put on the sdcard earlier.

That should be all. Once the new system is booted, you'll use Titanium again to restore your apps.

For what it's worth, the BCM firmware is based on CM with all the CM additions you're used to, so things will be pretty familiar. It's running well for me.

Last edited:

taodan

Nov 27, 2011
LineageOS
The process is actually easier than the process you went through to root your phone and install CM7.

For most ICS firmware, you'll need to repartition your hboot. Google for blackrose-manual_120216.zip, download to your computer, unzip and look for the hboot_brcust-220-10-206.nb0 file. This one is pre-configured with the right partition sizes. Follow the instructions in the README file, which are basically:

Update your recovery firmware, by downloading to your computer and then using fastboot from your computer. I used the Amon-RA recovery for CM and stayed with it for ICS.

Boot the phone into the bootloader and go to FastBoot mode. It'll tell you what HBOOT you currently have. Read the instructions in the blackrose README to see which (if any) of the goXX.lol files you need. Then, on the computer:
Code:

Code:
The blackrose-manual zip contains fastboot binaries for Linux, Mac and Windows. If you need a fastboot for FreeBSD, send me a PM.

Then boot into recovery, do a Nandroid backup, then a full wipe, then install the ICS firmware zip you put on the sdcard earlier.

That should be all. Once the new system is booted, you'll use Titanium again to restore your apps.

For what it's worth, the BCM firmware is based on CM with all the CM additions you're used to, so things will be pretty familiar. It's running well for me.
Restore apps from GB backup might bring FC. It is better to download them from the Google Play

Jaiy

Apr 22, 2011
Boston, MA
Restore apps from GB backup might bring FC. It is better to download them from the Google Play

While, in theory, you are correct, I restored my GB apps using TB because it is very fast to do so. In practice, they all appear to be working just fine. I believe I have run every one of them to make sure.

But I agree that a better general procedure would be to restore the apps themselves from the Play Store then restore your former app data using TB.

Mintyass

Feb 15, 2011

Code:

Code:

This is great! I found blackrose_manual_120216.zip, but the only .nb0 file in it was hboot_blackrose.nb0. Will this work, or do I need to keep looking?

taodan

Nov 27, 2011
LineageOS
This is great! I found blackrose_manual_120216.zip, but the only .nb0 file in it was hboot_blackrose.nb0. Will this work, or do I need to keep looking?
The instructions are in the Blackrose thread in the Development section, you don't need to use the manual if you're using Windows.

Last edited:
G

GuestX0019

I would read the blackrose thread so you understand what you are doing and why. Easier to get out of trouble and harder to get into it. You probably did same for CM7. The blackrose hboot is not easy to work with without knowing what you are doing. The backrose thread has pre requisites in OP, like install of drivers if you don't have them.

You guys sure the fastboot command for the exploit has the word "recovery" in it or should be:

fastboot boot go.lol

where go.lol is exact name of exploit from the actual blackrose binary folder depending what version of blackrose you are fastbooting. could be "fastboot boot go2.lol" etc

just a suggestion--

Last edited:

Mintyass

Feb 15, 2011
So I was able to use blackrose to repartition my system cache, but now I've got a problem. In the bootloader, when I select "Recovery" the phone hangs on the Nexus "X" logo, and I'm unable to get my phone to reboot into anything but the bootloader.

G

GuestX0019

you probably lost recovery and need to re fastboot it

i once had to fastboot erase system before the recovery would flash

all these issues are in the thread

G

GuestX0019

good info but if you have sdk and know fastboot do this

Copy recovery-RA-passion-v2.2.1.img to a location where fastboot can find it. Usually tools folder.

Boot your phone into fastboot mode (power on while holding the trackball)

Connect your phone via usb to your pc

type fastboot devices (to make sure that fastboot "sees" your phone)

type fastboot flash recovery recovery-RA-passion-v2.2.1.img or whatever exact name your recovery is

Mintyass

Feb 15, 2011
I was able to get into recovery, but now when I select "Flash zip from sdcard", I get an error saying that there was No Signature and that the Verification Failed.

Mintyass

Feb 15, 2011
Thanks so much for everyone's help! I've got ICS up and running now thanks to you.

Since this forum account is too new to post in the BCM thread, I guess I'll try asking a question here instead.

So far there's two problems I've encountered that would be dealbreakers for BCM. I saw on the BCM thread that voice search is currently broken, but it seems like it's kind of unexpected and will likely be fixed. The other issue I have, that I can't find anyone else complaining about, is that I don't seem to have the Car Home app anymore. Has anybody else run into this issue, or know a fix? I use my phone in my car pretty much every day in my car dock, and make extensive use of both the car home app and the voice search feature for getting navigation directions.

If there's a better place to post these questions, feel free to let me know!

Thanks

G

GuestX0019

audio has been ab issue for me and others on ics and sense roms lately, don't know why. i am back on CM7 Kangs atm bc of it. hope it is found and fixed. the current remedies don't work for me

glad you are up and running, all these roms have issues of some type for a few at least. goes with the territory--:)

someone should be able to get you a car home apk you can install or push thru adb--i always delete mine as i don't use--sorry. might be able to find it thru search/google

posting here is perfectly fine--it a couple general threads for a "meaningful" post and you will be to ten real quick

enjoy rom

ken

Jaiy

Apr 22, 2011
Boston, MA

Sorry, I wasn't watching this thread over the weekend and I see you have already moved past this. But to answer the question...

I thought the pre-partitioned blackrose-220-10-206 was in that zip, but I see now that I found it on the Evervolv ROM thread in the Nexus One development forum. Sorry for not remembering to mention that.

---------- Post added at 12:08 PM ---------- Previous post was at 11:58 AM ----------

Thanks so much for everyone's help! I've got ICS up and running now thanks to you.
You're welcome.

So far there's two problems I've encountered that would be dealbreakers for BCM. I saw on the BCM thread that voice search is currently broken, but it seems like it's kind of unexpected and will likely be fixed. The other issue I have, that I can't find anyone else complaining about, is that I don't seem to have the Car Home app anymore. Has anybody else run into this issue, or know a fix? I use my phone in my car pretty much every day in my car dock, and make extensive use of both the car home app and the voice search feature for getting navigation directions.

BCM Version RC3.3Ux has very broken voice input. Many folk (including me) have commented that no VoIP apps work with it. Hopefully this will be fixed soon. BCM3.2U2 works fine, so I have reverted to that version for now.

You can install the CarHome app from the Play Store; it doesn't seem to be included in the BCM zip file.

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.

Code:

Code:

There are at least 3 ICS ROMs with 2 are in the working progress and the other we don't know what is the status of it. Spend some time to read first to gain some knowledge and procedures. They are in the Development section of Nexus One. And, remember, once you have Ice Cream Sandwich you don't want to have Gingerbread :)
    u can flash this miui ics as like anyother roms before
    http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=1479348
    but for other ics roms u need to partition /system. for that first u need to know abt blackrose.
    http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=1270589

Sent from my Nexus One using Tapatalk