[Q] Disable auto correct but leave word suggestions?

Search This thread

Zanketsu

May 8, 2014
Warsaw
Hi ya lads and gals :)

I'd appreciate some help with adjusting the auto correct features on the HTC One M8 - I'd like to disable the automatic replacement of words as you type - but I'd like to leave the list of word suggestions or spell check suggestions as you tap an underlined word.

I don't know if this is a Sense 6 specific option, but you can either have both - suggestions and auto correct - or none at all. You have only one check box and you can't go deeper into the options (Sense 3.6 had more options).
i.e.: edit: sorry, can't post links yet - you can view this screen cap i.imgur.com/XIxn8mr.jpg?1

However on both Sony SP (4.3) and Sony Z1 (4.4) you can tap on word suggestions to get more options, including disabling automatic replacement of words. This however leaves the suggestion list and underlines misspelled words (but otherwise leaves them alone). Which leads me to believe this option might be available on stock android and just hidden in the Sense UI.
i.e.: edit: sorry, can't post links yet - you can view this screen cap at i.imgur.com/VPkl3k1.jpg?1

I often write bilingual messages and use various abbreviations and/or slang :p and adding these to the dictionary while fast typing is not an option in the long run :eek:.

I'd appreciate your insight into this, thanks in advance :fingers-crossed:

PS - my phone's not rooted.

Reactions: cheemacool

Zanketsu

May 8, 2014
Warsaw
Thanks for the suggestion NikosPx, but I wanna work on the stock app (I'm crazy that way :eek:).

Ok so I did some more checking and I found that Android 4.4.3 on the Nexus 4 also has separate options for suggestions and auto correct: i.imgur.com/QTsTVrs.jpg?1 - makes me wonder why HTC would choose to hide these options in the new Sense UI :confused:

Anywho, asked HTC on Twitter, but I fear I'm not popular enough to warrant an answer, sigh
twitter.com/Rotissoire/status/479230186270236672

Wonder if the GPE M8 has these settings...

Lord Carmine

Nov 23, 2014
Having the same problem..i realise this is an old post but like you i am also crazy enough to not want any additional keyboard softwares on my mobile.
just wondering if you have found a solution to your problem in stock setttings..
Htc m8 4.4.4 not rooted and sense 6.0

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    Hi ya lads and gals :)

I'd appreciate some help with adjusting the auto correct features on the HTC One M8 - I'd like to disable the automatic replacement of words as you type - but I'd like to leave the list of word suggestions or spell check suggestions as you tap an underlined word.

I don't know if this is a Sense 6 specific option, but you can either have both - suggestions and auto correct - or none at all. You have only one check box and you can't go deeper into the options (Sense 3.6 had more options).
    i.e.: edit: sorry, can't post links yet - you can view this screen cap i.imgur.com/XIxn8mr.jpg?1

However on both Sony SP (4.3) and Sony Z1 (4.4) you can tap on word suggestions to get more options, including disabling automatic replacement of words. This however leaves the suggestion list and underlines misspelled words (but otherwise leaves them alone). Which leads me to believe this option might be available on stock android and just hidden in the Sense UI.
    i.e.: edit: sorry, can't post links yet - you can view this screen cap at i.imgur.com/VPkl3k1.jpg?1

I often write bilingual messages and use various abbreviations and/or slang :p and adding these to the dictionary while fast typing is not an option in the long run :eek:.

I'd appreciate your insight into this, thanks in advance :fingers-crossed:

PS - my phone's not rooted.
    Hey, sorry but no luck. I've eventually given in and switched to swiftkey :( keeping my hopes up for the lollipop update though.