Amazon KF2 (v.10.4.3 & v10.4.6) - Install CyanogenMod

Search This thread

to4kin

Aug 13, 2013
First - sorry for my English. Last monday i received my KF2 and when I could not find the instructions on this forum for version 10.4.3 - i decided to try it myself.

Introducing: Kindle Fire 2 (v10.4.3 & v10.4.6 already tested) installing CyanogenMod

** YOU SHOULD HAVE A WORKING NORMAL (NOT FASTBOOT) CABLE + ADB DRIVERS/ACCESS ON YOUR PC. **

*** USE AT YOUR OWN RISK! WHILE I TRY MY BEST TO PROVIDE WORKING KERNELS/ROMS, I AM NOT RESPONSIBLE IF THIS SOFTWARE OR ANYTHING I'VE WORKED ON SUDDENLY FRIES YOUR DEVICE. ***

*** READ CAREFULLY BEFORE DOING ANYTHING ***
*** Kindle Fire 1st-gen ROMs/KERNELS are *NOT* compatible with the Kindle Fire 2. Please only flash ROMs/KERNELS that are made for the Kindle Fire 2. ***

** IF YOU HAVE QUESTIONS, RE-READ THROUGH THE THREAD FOR ANSWERS. WHEN YOU'RE ABSOLUTELY SURE NO ONE HAS ASKED YOUR QUESTION, GO AHEAD AND RE-READ THE THREAD AGAIN AND USE THE SEARCH FEATURE. THEN POST YOUR QUESTION IF YOU STILL CAN'T FIND THE ANSWER **

INITIAL SETUP INSTRUCTIONS

STEP 1. Install ADB Drivers for Kindle HD and enable ADB on tablet Settings->Security->Enable ADB->On

Check ADB:

Code:
C:\> adb devices
List of devices attached
0123456789ABCDEF        device

If you do NOT see this, then make sure you have the SDK installed correctly and you have the right setup for ADB on your PC before proceeding.

STEP 2. Backup your stock partitions to your own HD for later if you need disaster recovery:

Code:
adb pull /dev/block/mmcblk0boot0
adb pull /dev/block/platform/omap/omap_hsmmc.1/by-name/boot
adb pull /dev/block/platform/omap/omap_hsmmc.1/by-name/recovery
adb pull /dev/block/platform/omap/omap_hsmmc.1/by-name/system # This will take a few minutes

Take those files and put them somewhere safe.

STEP 3. Getting root

Just follow this threat http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=2075959 -> everything working fine

STEP 4. Downgrade your bootloader

Download the older 10.2.4 bootloader file and flash to your device via fastboot:
http://goo.im/devs/Hashcode/otter2/otter2-u-boot-prod-10.2.4.bin
md5sum 5b03a7b428325de8d360ec201a745498

(You SHOULD check this before using fastboot -- downloads CAN be corrupted)

Open cmd and promt:

Code:
adb shell su -c "reboot bootloader"

Your Kindle should reboot in fastboot mode, and now flash bootloader:

Code:
fastboot -i 0x1949 flash bootloader otter2-u-boot-prod-10.2.4.bin
fastboot -i 0x1949 reboot

STEP 5. Install TWRP

First, download CM and GAPPS and copy it to SDCARD:

CM-10.1 for the Kindle Fire 2 (choose the latest version from):
http://www.get.cm/?device=otter2

Google Apps from: http://goo.im/gapps (choose the top rom CM10.1 version)

1. Copy com.powerpoint45.FMKilo-2.apk to the tablet (you can get this apk from here http://d-h.st/n7L)

2. Enable on Kindle: Device -> Allow Installation of Applications

3. Use file browser (i recomended to use ES Explorer) to install apk.

4. Run Tweezermod Installer and answer on all question about Super User -> "Allow"​

** If everything was done correctly you will at this point see the bootmenu with a BLUE logo during the reboot. **

In this time your kindle can not boot, u'll see BLUE logo, then ORANGE and then device restarted again. Don't worry - it's ok

STEP 6. Install CyanogenMod

TO ENTER RECOVERY:
During the blue logo screen press the power button to cycle through options and select "Recovery" to enter TWRP.

Once in TWRP you can Install" the CM-10.1 by selecting "Install" and then browsing the device and selecting it, then "Add Zip" and select the Gapps .zip as well.

Use the slider to start the install.

Dont forget to do FULL WIPE - cache, dalvik cache, factory reset, system.

Enjoy

Tested on my Kindle Fire 2 v10.4.3 & v10.4.6

Last edited:

pythonjosh

Jan 14, 2010
7" KF HD 2, 10.4.6
This tutorial worked perfectly, up until the end, step 6.
I'm new to Kindle, but not Android. I got into TWRP prior to downloading CM10.2 and Gapps. And when i try to mount as USB, and this line shows in the log:
"Unable to locate volume information for USB storage mode"
Googling didn't help much with investigating that error. ADB sideload doesn't seem to work.
I don't know what to do from here.

to4kin

Aug 13, 2013
7" KF HD 2, 10.4.6
This tutorial worked perfectly, up until the end, step 6.
I'm new to Kindle, but not Android. I got into TWRP prior to downloading CM10.2 and Gapps. And when i try to mount as USB, and this line shows in the log:
"Unable to locate volume information for USB storage mode"
Googling didn't help much with investigating that error. ADB sideload doesn't seem to work.
I don't know what to do from here.

Check STEP 1 to check ADB. If it not working check this manual https:// developer.amazon.com/sdk/fire/connect-adb.html
When ADB start working - copy CM and GAPPS to kindle:

Promt in CMD:
Code:
adb push /path/to/filename /sdcard/download/filename

pythonjosh

Jan 14, 2010
I'm also on Win7 x64.
When it is on ADB Sideload, I see in my Device manager Amazon Kindle Fire2, but it appears to not be loading the drivers correctly.
ADB Devices are not showing any attached devices. Ideas?

---------- Post added at 09:37 AM ---------- Previous post was at 09:29 AM ----------

Also in my Device Manager, Portable Devices, it shows F: but there's no F: in my windows explorer.

pythonjosh

Jan 14, 2010
I found instructions via terminal emulator to get it rebooted into fastboot, in hopes of flashing CM 10.2 via fastboot.
Looking up the fastboot syntax for flashing a new rom, I've always used recovery on my other devices, but i don't have that option now.

to4kin

Aug 13, 2013
I'm also on Win7 x64.
When it is on ADB Sideload, I see in my Device manager Amazon Kindle Fire2, but it appears to not be loading the drivers correctly.
ADB Devices are not showing any attached devices. Ideas?

---------- Post added at 09:37 AM ---------- Previous post was at 09:29 AM ----------

Also in my Device Manager, Portable Devices, it shows F: but there's no F: in my windows explorer.

ADB Sideload - good idea. Try this manual:

1. Set the device into ADB sideload mode. In TWRP you do this by going to Advanced then ADB Sideload.
2. From the command line on PC, type adb sideload /path/to/rom.zip

The file will be copied to your device to whatever the current storage location is that you have selected in the mount page. It will always be placed in the root of that storage location and named sideload.zip (e.g. /sdcard/sideload.zip) and it will automatically delete / overwrite any existing sideload.zip you may have on your device. As soon as the file is copied to your device, it will automatically be installed. When the install is finished you will be presented with a reboot system button so that you can reboot to test your zip.

Note that sideload mode is a separate ADB mode. While in sideload mode, regular ADB commands will not work. Once the zip has been copied to the device and the install starts (or if you hit the cancel button) regular ADB mode will resume.​

My mistake in manual. Better way - copy rom file to sdcard before STEP 5.

Last edited:

pythonjosh

Jan 14, 2010
I'm still unable to use adb sideload, reports "device not found". I have the usb drivers installed, your tutorial is the only one I have used, I can't use TWRP at all.
It works, but USB drive mounting doesn't work, ADB sideload doesn't seem to work. No errors in the log, but ADB reports device not found.
I don't know what to do from here. It's nothing like 4EXT or CWM.

pythonjosh

Jan 14, 2010
Ok so I have got it in fastboot by going to Advanced->Terminal, idme bootmode 4
Once in fastboot , fastboot -i 0x1949 devices returned a device number
I flashed CM10.2 using "fastboot -i 0x1949 flash system CM102.zip
Then I ran fastboot -i 0x1949 oem idme bootmode 1
Then rebooted, doesn't load ROM, got back into TWRP, changed bootmode back to 1, reboot, says I have no OS.
That's my current status. Seems others have been at this point before, still workin on this.

pythonjosh

Jan 14, 2010
Ok you can give up on thinking now, I've bricked it. No signs of life.
I flashed the 7.23 bootloader and TWRP 2.6 from: http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=2128848
via fastboot, and now it's done for.
Found a rooted one on craigslist for $120 to replace this one for my father in law.
I've rooted a good few other Android devices, but never a tablet, first try on a KFHD2.
I give up on Kindle's.

stunts513

Feb 8, 2013
New Braunfels, TX
Ok you can give up on thinking now, I've bricked it. No signs of life.
I flashed the 7.23 bootloader and TWRP 2.6 from: http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=2128848
via fastboot, and now it's done for.
Found a rooted one on craigslist for $120 to replace this one for my father in law.
I've rooted a good few other Android devices, but never a tablet, first try on a KFHD2.
I give up on Kindle's.

Don't trash the old one after u get the new one, we have a viable method now to unbrick a hard bricked kindle. The person behind the fix is working on a more user friendly version of the device that doesn't require soldering. Check it out: http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=2391047

Sent from my Amazon Kindle Fire HD running CM10.1 Tablet UI using xda-developers app

jeffrey00345

Aug 26, 2013
kindle fire 2 completely dead

:crying: after
Code:
, my kindle fire just shutted off and never response again, who can help me? :crying:

kurohyou

Aug 3, 2013
Chicago
:crying: after
Code:
, my kindle fire just shutted off and never response again, who can help me? :crying:

Assuming you have a Kindle Fire 2nd Generation, it's "hard-bricked."

Read the FAQ if you haven't already, specifically Q14 (although, read them all). Then, I would see if you can get Amazon to send you a replacement.

If they won't do that, take a look at this thread and this thread by me. As of now, I've succeeded in returning a hard-bricked KF2 to soft-bricked, but working out some bugs in order to return it to fully functional after that.

jeffrey00345

Aug 26, 2013

Read the FAQ if you haven't already, specifically Q14 (although, read them all). Then, I would see if you can get Amazon to send you a replacement.

If they won't do that, take a look at this thread and this thread by me. As of now, I've succeeded in returning a hard-bricked KF2 to soft-bricked, but working out some bugs in order to return it to fully functional after that.

thanks for your reponse:) I would try to get a replacement from Amazon.

---------- Post added at 03:29 PM ---------- Previous post was at 02:59 PM ----------

I have contacted Amazon and they said that they would send a replacement to me but now I'm worried because I didn't tell them that it was my fault, I just told them the Kindle is not working.Is this ok?

movesandpepper

Aug 29, 2013
Trying to make it work

I've followed the linked guide to installing the sdk and driver (windows 7 64 bit) and I still cannot get the adb devices to list the kf2. What am I doing wrong?

adaweawe

Jun 24, 2013
"STEP 4. Downgrade your bootloader

Download the older 10.2.4 bootloader file and flash to your device via fastboot:
http://goo.im/devs/Hashcode/otter2/o...rod-10.2.4.bin"

On 2nd gen Kindle Fire Non-HD. ver 10.4.6 rooted , can this step be completed without a fastboot cable?

I have the original usb cable. Maybe with Kindle Aide?

or tweezermod?
http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=2106463

Last edited:

galaxyn84

Aug 22, 2013
Lugones
Hello, I also I have the 10.4.6 rooted.

I have the same question that adaweawe, I can install bootloader / recovery with the original cable?

thanks

galaxyn84

Aug 22, 2013
Lugones
Hello again.
I try, but I have a problem at this point:
fastboot-i 0x1949 flash bootloader otter2-u-boot-prod-10.2.4.bin

Once put the kindle in fastboot mode, write the code in CMD and gets stuck saying <waiting for device>

What I'm doing with the standard USB cable.

edit

After trying on a USB, now the error is this:

target reported max download size of 486539264 bytes
error: cannot load otter2-u-boot-prod-10.2.4.bin

Last edited:

adaweawe

Jun 24, 2013
Hello again.
I try, but I have a problem at this point:
fastboot-i 0x1949 flash bootloader otter2-u-boot-prod-10.2.4.bin

Once put the kindle in fastboot mode, write the code in CMD and gets stuck saying <waiting for device>

how you get into fastboot mode? did u try Kindle First Aide?

i'm hesitant to try install new bootloader + TWRP on my kf2 without fastboot cable:

" *Note: After several conference calls with the Amazon Development Team we found Amazon applied a patch to the Bootloader in an effort to lock down the Bootloader, this patch rarely causes the Bootloader to stick or Bootloop, please use the above link to release the Bootloader. We have removed this patch from the boot-prod.img eliminating future issues with recovered HD 8.9" users. "
http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=2096888

and
+Note: As of Amazon OS update 7.3.x+, there has been a lot of issues with rooting and flashing the 2nd-bootloader. Many users reported bootloops during the completion of the guide. Those with tablets running 7.3.0 or higher, please proceed with caution, and make sure you have a factory cable on hand if you wish to advance. I strongly recommend you make backups in Step 2.
http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=2271909

applies to 2nd gen nonHD too i think

also hesitant to try tweezermod due to some bricks:
http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=2106463&page=4

I'm rooted and downgraded to bootloader version 10.2.3 and it still causes the red screen? I used the computer method and the terminal doesn't have any errors but recovery is not there. My Kindle Fire 2 is disconnected from wifi so it won't be updated to 10.4.1 Any idea why?

i really want to install cyanogenmod 10.1 on my rooted 10.4.6 without fastboot cable, but i think amazon updated bootloader to make it impossible without fastboot cable.

i disabled OTA updates and hope someone figures out 10.4.6 -> CM 10.1 without fastboot cable

Last edited:

galaxyn84

Aug 22, 2013
Lugones

i'm hesitant to try install new bootloader + TWRP on my kf2 without fastboot cable:

HI
I enter fastboot mode as shown in the tutorial

"" "" Adb shell su-c "reboot bootloader" "" "" "

I ask for superuser permissions, accept and restart in fastboot mode
Appear a black screen with fastboot logo in red, and a traffic light with flashing green light.
But I can not move from there ....

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    First - sorry for my English. Last monday i received my KF2 and when I could not find the instructions on this forum for version 10.4.3 - i decided to try it myself.

Introducing: Kindle Fire 2 (v10.4.3 & v10.4.6 already tested) installing CyanogenMod

** YOU SHOULD HAVE A WORKING NORMAL (NOT FASTBOOT) CABLE + ADB DRIVERS/ACCESS ON YOUR PC. **

*** USE AT YOUR OWN RISK! WHILE I TRY MY BEST TO PROVIDE WORKING KERNELS/ROMS, I AM NOT RESPONSIBLE IF THIS SOFTWARE OR ANYTHING I'VE WORKED ON SUDDENLY FRIES YOUR DEVICE. ***

*** READ CAREFULLY BEFORE DOING ANYTHING ***
    *** Kindle Fire 1st-gen ROMs/KERNELS are *NOT* compatible with the Kindle Fire 2. Please only flash ROMs/KERNELS that are made for the Kindle Fire 2. ***

** IF YOU HAVE QUESTIONS, RE-READ THROUGH THE THREAD FOR ANSWERS. WHEN YOU'RE ABSOLUTELY SURE NO ONE HAS ASKED YOUR QUESTION, GO AHEAD AND RE-READ THE THREAD AGAIN AND USE THE SEARCH FEATURE. THEN POST YOUR QUESTION IF YOU STILL CAN'T FIND THE ANSWER **

INITIAL SETUP INSTRUCTIONS

STEP 1. Install ADB Drivers for Kindle HD and enable ADB on tablet Settings->Security->Enable ADB->On

Check ADB:

Code:
    C:\> adb devices
    List of devices attached
    0123456789ABCDEF        device

If you do NOT see this, then make sure you have the SDK installed correctly and you have the right setup for ADB on your PC before proceeding.

STEP 2. Backup your stock partitions to your own HD for later if you need disaster recovery:

Code:
    adb pull /dev/block/mmcblk0boot0
    adb pull /dev/block/platform/omap/omap_hsmmc.1/by-name/boot
    adb pull /dev/block/platform/omap/omap_hsmmc.1/by-name/recovery
    adb pull /dev/block/platform/omap/omap_hsmmc.1/by-name/system # This will take a few minutes

Take those files and put them somewhere safe.

STEP 3. Getting root

Just follow this threat http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=2075959 -> everything working fine

STEP 4. Downgrade your bootloader

http://goo.im/devs/Hashcode/otter2/otter2-u-boot-prod-10.2.4.bin
    md5sum 5b03a7b428325de8d360ec201a745498

(You SHOULD check this before using fastboot -- downloads CAN be corrupted)

Open cmd and promt:

Code:
    adb shell su -c "reboot bootloader"

Your Kindle should reboot in fastboot mode, and now flash bootloader:

Code:
    fastboot -i 0x1949 flash bootloader otter2-u-boot-prod-10.2.4.bin

STEP 5. Install TWRP

First, download CM and GAPPS and copy it to SDCARD:

CM-10.1 for the Kindle Fire 2 (choose the latest version from):
    http://www.get.cm/?device=otter2

Google Apps from: http://goo.im/gapps (choose the top rom CM10.1 version)

1. Copy com.powerpoint45.FMKilo-2.apk to the tablet (you can get this apk from here http://d-h.st/n7L)

2. Enable on Kindle: Device -> Allow Installation of Applications

3. Use file browser (i recomended to use ES Explorer) to install apk.

4. Run Tweezermod Installer and answer on all question about Super User -> "Allow"​

** If everything was done correctly you will at this point see the bootmenu with a BLUE logo during the reboot. **

In this time your kindle can not boot, u'll see BLUE logo, then ORANGE and then device restarted again. Don't worry - it's ok

STEP 6. Install CyanogenMod

TO ENTER RECOVERY:
    During the blue logo screen press the power button to cycle through options and select "Recovery" to enter TWRP.

Once in TWRP you can Install" the CM-10.1 by selecting "Install" and then browsing the device and selecting it, then "Add Zip" and select the Gapps .zip as well.

Use the slider to start the install.

Dont forget to do FULL WIPE - cache, dalvik cache, factory reset, system.

Enjoy

Tested on my Kindle Fire 2 v10.4.3 & v10.4.6
    Wow, I didn't think this will work (considering the amount of bricks there were with other methods) but this one worked! Thanks!
    One thing I did differently, though, was pushing "stack" before I did anything... but I don't have enough knowledge about that to conclude that anyone will need it.
    Thanks again! I'm running CyanogenMod 10.1 happily.

---------- Post added at 12:51 AM ---------- Previous post was at 12:42 AM ----------

Hello, I also I have the 10.4.6 rooted.

I have the same question that adaweawe, I can install bootloader / recovery with the original cable?

thanks

"STEP 4. Downgrade your bootloader

http://goo.im/devs/Hashcode/otter2/o...rod-10.2.4.bin"

On 2nd gen Kindle Fire Non-HD. ver 10.4.6 rooted , can this step be completed without a fastboot cable?

I have the original usb cable. Maybe with Kindle Aide?

or tweezermod?

and

http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=2271909

applies to 2nd gen nonHD too i think

also hesitant to try tweezermod due to some bricks:
    http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=2106463&page=4

i really want to install cyanogenmod 10.1 on my rooted 10.4.6 without fastboot cable, but i think amazon updated bootloader to make it impossible without fastboot cable.

i disabled OTA updates and hope someone figures out 10.4.6 -> CM 10.1 without fastboot cable

It's possible! I did it. I just downgraded the bootloader prior to installing Alien.
    Fastboot (with or without factory cable - normal USB also works) -> flash 10.2.6. Simple as that.

---------- Post added at 12:57 AM ---------- Previous post was at 12:51 AM ----------

HI
    I enter fastboot mode as shown in the tutorial

"" "" Adb shell su-c "reboot bootloader" "" "" "

I ask for superuser permissions, accept and restart in fastboot mode
    Appear a black screen with fastboot logo in red, and a traffic light with flashing green light.
    But I can not move from there ....

Do you mean you can't get out of Fastboot?
    Use the Fastboot reboot command or hold the power button for 20 seconds to shut down.
    push "stack" ...did u mean push "stock" 10.2.6?
    so just to be clear, this is what you did:
    start with 10.4.6 rooted
    flash 10.2.6 ...(what did u use to flash it? any special technique?)
    downgrade bootloader to 10.2.4

I meant the "Stack override file:
    http://goo.im/devs/Hashcode/otter2/stack" (credit to Hashcode)
    I started with 10.4.6 rooted, rebooted to fastboot (it's an adb command)
    I flashed the 10.2.6 bootloader, not the actual OS. Then I ran fmkilo and Powerpoint45's apk, which, luckily, succeeded. I then proceeded to install Cyanogenmod, which worked. Hope that helps!
    do u have link to 10.2.6 bootloader? this thread OP only gives the 10.2.4 bootloader. (unless u meant to type 10.2.4)

after downgrading you proceded with:

I could have sworn Hashcode had a link for 10.2.6... I must not remember correctly then. (Although I *think* they both have the same exploit)
    Yes, I flashed the 10.2.4 (apparently) bootloader, to recreate the security exploit. Then I installed the apk in the link. Sorry for the confusion!

---------- Post added at 03:54 AM ---------- Previous post was at 03:50 AM ----------

Also, I've heard the apk caused a lot of bricks (that's why the links were removed - the link for V6 on the post underneath works, though) so please be careful with it.

Edit: I think people should try out the apk first because apparently the script also results in a lot of bricks anyway.
    yep definitely cuz hash;'s website's only bootloader is the .2.4
    http://goo.im/devs/Hashcode/otter2/

indeed lots of bricks in that tweezermod apk thread maybe your pushing stack was important step

ok will look at v6 although the link isn't working atm

for other noobs like me here is what he refers to:

Actually, I think you should try out the V4 apk first because apparently people are getting less bricks that way. Better safe than sorry, right?