ALL IN ONE THREAD[Updated 12/3/13]Read me first!

Search This thread

gregbradley

Retired Forum Moderator

If your bootloader unlock allowed = No then there is currently NO way to unlock it.
I will update this information if and when that changes

READ ME FIRST FOR NOOBS OR IF YOU ARE NEW TO XPERIA GUIDE in post 2

New Topic, New and 1st Thread !!

I Welcome all XDA Members to this usefull thread !!

So if you dont know a question, There is always someone knows the answer ;)

Enjoy !!

Many thanks to Pandemic, who I know from our x10 and NEO days, for handing this OP over to me!!

Hello all, Just to introduce myself. I am Greg Bradley from Manchester UK and I have been an avid andriod fan for 2 years now. I have been an active member of this forum for 18 months and learned a lot along the way. I am taking over the OP of this thread in the hopes that I can help guide people to finding out the best answers to any questions people may have. I am not saying I have all the answers, or that I am all knowing, only that I hope this thread will help and we can all learn from each other.

If anyone has any threads that they think should be highlighted here please let me know, I will try to keep the links to all Tutorials/ROMS/Kernels and other useful stuff current and updated so that no one can ever say "I searched everywhere and couldnt find a thing about it...."

Looking forward to getting to know you.​

So what is this thread for?
Firstly, I hope it will be a usefull place to link all the new development/tools/Tutorials in one place so that there will be no need to go trawling through pages of threads to find the thing you want to.

Secondly, its going to be for those people who are new to this forum, device or Android itself so you CAN ask your question without getting jumped all over for posting it in the wrong forum. I am hoping that this will be a friendly thread where people will help each other to get the best out of their device and to remember that we were all new once.

If you are new and you want to ask a question THIS is the place to do it, but please remember to use search first (The question may already have been asked and answered) and always give useful information (If you can) like
1. Are you rooted?
2. Have you unlocked the bootloader?
3. What ROM are you on?
4. Which kernel are you on?
5. What were you doing just before the problem happened?
6. How can we recreate the problem?
7. What have you done so far to fix it?
8. Attach any logcats you have.

Useful Links and tools in Post 2
Roms / Kernels / FTF's in Post 3

Please PM me if you think I have not credited you, or if you think something should be added!!

Last edited:

gregbradley

Retired Forum Moderator
[Q&A] General Chat, All XDA Members Welcome !! READ ME BEFORE POSTING

How to...

The purpose of XDA and why you are here.

From retired senior moderator kyphor.
Please read this

READ ME FIRST FOR NOOBS GUIDE

Noobs guide by gregbradley

I am sure there are plenty of these guides about, but it seems another one needs to be linked to the OP of this thread so this is my guide.
I welcome feedback on it (Please PM me to avoid cluttering the thread) to make sure it is correct.

So, you have just taken your new phone out of the box and you want to start playing with it.
This is the guide for you

Some important terminolgy.
(In laymans terms, please dont harrangue me with PM's about not being entirely accurate, its for noobs)

.ftf
Files that are made from official stock ROMS. These can be flashed on ANY phone regardless of root/bootloader status. Use Flashtool to do it. It is recommended you that you create your own .ftf file every time you update using official methods so you have a clean file to repair your phone with even with no internet connection.

.img/.elf
These are kernel files. They can be flashed in fastboot.

Android Version
Since v1.6 Android versions have been named after deserts. There are extensive wiki's about which version is which, just google them, but in a nutshell we have (Since 1.6)
Version history by API level
  • 3.1 Android 1.0 (API level 1)
  • 3.2 Android 1.1 (API level 2)
  • 3.3 Android 1.5 Cupcake (API level 3)
  • 3.4 Android 1.6 Donut (API level 4)
  • 3.5 Android 2.0 Eclair (API level 5)
  • 3.6 Android 2.01 Eclair (API level 6)
  • 3.7 Android 2.1 Eclair (API level 7)
  • 3.8 Android 2.2.x Froyo (API level 8)
  • 3.9 Android 2.3-2.3.2 Gingerbread (API level 9)
  • 3.10 Android 2.3.3-2.3.7 Gingerbread (API level 10)
  • 3.11 Android 3.0 Honeycomb (API level 11)
  • 3.12 Android 3.1 Honeycomb (API level 12)
  • 3.13 Android 3.2 Honeycomb (API level 13)
  • 3.14 Android 4.0-4.0.2 Ice Cream Sandwich (API level 14)
  • 3.15 Android 4.0.3-4.0.4 Ice Cream Sandwich (API level 15)
  • 3.16 Android 4.1 Jelly Bean (API level 16)
  • 3.17 Android 4.2 Jelly Bean (API level 17)
  • 4.2 Key Lime Pie (No official release from google yet but there have been some app leaks, like gmail 4.2, that can run on ICS)
Bootloader
The "initial" boot up part when you turn your phone on. Unlocking your bootloader enables you to change this. It is akin to entering the bios setup when starting a PC

CM or Cyanogenmod
One of (if not the most popular) custom ROMs for Android. CM7 is Gingerbread, CM9 is Ice Cream Sandwich, CM10 is Jellybean

Fastboot
The mode you enter when flashing kernels. Used in conjunction with adb/sdk. You can enter this mode regardless of your bootloader status, however, if your bootloader is locked you can only flash pure stock kernels. You must have unlocked the bootloader in order to flash any kernel that has been modified in any way, aka a custom kernel.

Flashmode
The mode you enter when updating phone via PCCompanion/SUES/Flashtool

Flashtool
THE tool for use with xperia devices. Use it to flash .ftf's and other things

MIUI
Another popular custom ROM for Android. I am not to familair with this as I have never flashed it, but I beleive it looks very much like the iOS (imho, Yuck!)

Recovery
A pre~boot menu to allow you to backup your ROM before trying something new and restoring back to it in case you want to or your flash didnt work. Also to flash update .zips and flash new ROMS. This is what people mean when they say "flash it in recovery"

Root
Gain access to the "read only" part of your phone. You need this to do any kind of system modification that involves changing files in the read only part of your ROM.

Stock
Anything that comes officially from Sony on your phone is stock. However, you may hear peope say its stock for the xperia S, that means it is stock from Sony, but may not necassarilly work on the xperia T/TX/TL

TBC

The steps to rooting/flashing/unlocking

Part 1. Flashing stock .ftf's
No need to root or unlock bootloader.
Download flashtool and install it and the drivers from the driver folder.
Drag and drop the .ftf you want into the open window of flahtool.
Wait until flashtool tell you to connect in flashmode, do so according to the instructions in post 2 of this thread. (Flashtool was initially developed for the X10 with physical buttons)

Part 2. Rooting
If you are on 7.0.A.1.303 (Or other older firmware), follow Bin4ry's method from post 2.
If you are on 7.0.A.3.195 (Or other newer firmware), follow the other method in the how to root section from post 2.
If you are on a JB ROM, either unlock your bootloader and flash an insecure kernel or downgrade to ICS, root via Bin4rys method, install CMW for locked bootloader and flash a stock pre~rooted JB ROM

Part 3. Unlocking bootloader
You must do this to install custom Kernels.
Follow the official guide from Sony. This is currently the only way to do it. If your bootloader unlock allowed = no then you can not unlock your bootloader.

Part 4. Installing recovery
This can now be done on phones with a locked bootloader, but you must have rooted your phone, so it can only be done on older firmware (7.0.A.1.303 / 7.0.A.1.307)
Follow the guide in the recovery section below
If you are on the newer firmware or have unlocked the bootloader you can use this method as well.
Prefered method Flash the advanced stock kernel from the link in post 3. Enter recovery by the method shown in post 2
Or you can flash the cmw .zip in fastboot, but this is more complicated and not recommended ATM

Part 5. Flashing custom ROMs
You must have a recovery installed
Downlaod the ROM and flash in recovery with the instructions from the OP of the ROM

This post is unfinshed, Please PM me to give suggetions of additions or mistakes.
I resolve my self of all responsibility if you follow these instructions then drop your phone down the toilet. Thats not my fault.

Sony Xperia T LT30 Service Manuals

Create your own stock FTF. Recommended to do, even for new users or if you dont plan to do anything else.

New
Look here for another guide with screen shots. Thanks to somboons. This guide says it is for the Xperia V, but it will work on all Xperia devices.​
How to Create an FTF file of Your Xperia ICS Firmware.
[Guide] How make a FTF of stock firmware from SUS files by Deadmask (Thanks baz@gmx.co.uk for finding it)
There is no need for root and/or unlocked bootloader for this! Do this so you have your own copy of stock firmware to flash back to using flashtool if anything goes wrong with your phone. You can also share it in this thread and I will link it to the OP so others can make use of it as well.​

Root Including rooting on JB DIRECTLY

• [*]NEW![12/3/13] Root JB ROM directly [T][TX][V]. Look here Thanks to stalkerx for sharing and credit to Goroh_kun! Here is the original thread by DooMLoRD. Here is the link to Bin4rys thread where you can get the latest version of his rooting script that includes this exploit.
  • [Root] Xperia T Old Firmware by Bin4ry [Recommended][Does not work on the new firmware]
  • [Root method] via Flashtool instructions. Credit to Androxyde. [Users have reported problems with this method]
  • [Root Method] New firmware by Jozinek [This method involves unlocking your bootloader]
  • Another tutorial on rooting new firmware by quinten96
  • Major update Get 7.0.A.3.195 firmware rooted with LOCKED BOOTLOADER
    Follow instructions here thanks vinss68
    You will need flashtool and a .303 ftf which can be found in this thread.
    You will need to root the .303 firmware via Bin4ry's method.
    You will need to install CMW for locked bootloader, link found in the recovery section of this post, (next show button down)
    You will need a stock based 7.0.A.3.195 ROM which can be flashed in CMW, mine for example found here
    You will also have to flash this in flashtool to return to latest stock kernel. This avoids bootloops with extended battery mode on 195 roms and 303 kernel.
  • [ HOW TO] KEEP ROOT on 7.0.A.3.195 FW via OTA Update by black97one
  • How to root Xperia V... by -Slenderman-
  • [HOW TO] Rooting the LT25i without unlocking the bootloader by Gasai Yuno
  • Rooting a JB ROM
    If you are on a JB ROM, either unlock your bootloader and flash an insecure kernel or downgrade to ICS, root via Bin4rys method, install CMW for locked bootloader and flash a stock pre~rooted JB ROM

Install Recovery

Unlock/Relock Bootloader

The official Sony method is currently the only way to do it, if your bootloader unlock allowed = no then you can not unlock your bootloader.
Please ensure you understand what this means before doing it. Read the FAQ from the Sony Unlocking Bootloader page so you are fully aware of issues involving loss of functionality and warrenty before proceeding.

Update to latest S1 Boot

Only for the Xperia T
Instructions here, thanks to gregbradley
Original thread here, thanks to Bin4ry

Tools/Kitchens
Enter Recovery

Keep pressing volume up when you see the sony logo on boot screen.
Use the volume up and down buttons to navigate, power button to select.

Enter Fastboot Mode

Turn phone off, keep volume up button pressed and attach USB cable. Let go of volume up.

To check if phone is connected in fastboot
Code:
fastboot devices
To flash a kernel use
Code:
fastboot flash boot [i]name of kernel here with file extension[/i]
Example
fastboot flash boot.img or fastboot flash boot boot.elf
To reboot
Code:
fastboot reboot
In order to do this you can use this file (If you have not already installed SDK)
Fastboot.zip - 20.91 MB
Place it on your desktop and extract it there. Open a command window from that directory and use the code above. The easiest way to open a command window is to open the folder, ensure no file is selected and hold shift and right click, then choose open command window here​

Enter Flashmode
Turn phone off, keep volume down button pressed and attach USB cable. Let go of volume down.
Follow instructions on flashtool.​

FAQ's---NEW!!!
  • I cant find the drivers for my phone.
    Go here and search for your device. The first link also has very good advice on Sony drivers.
  • I have problems with drivers/flashtool on windows 8
    Go here and try Sony's own version of Flashtool and read the insructions for installing on windows 8.
  • Questions
    Originally Posted by SCC2002

Hi, everyone. I believe these questions are not covered in this forum yet.
    1.Is it possible to just flash kernel from FTF file?
    2.Is it possible to convert or package kernel (IMG / ELF) file to FTF file?
    3.If above 2 are possible, does that mean that kernel can be flashed from flashmode instead of Fastboot mode & thus eliminating the need to unlock bootloader?
    4.Are the firmware & kernel of Xperia T / TX / TL / V interchangeable?
    5.Is there any risk trying to flash other firmware or kernel or anything that is not compatible?
    6.Is there any risk trying to flash kernel (IMG /ELF) file & custom ROM with locked bootloader?
    7.Is flashing stock advanced kernel equivalent to flashing stock kernel?
    Answers
    1) yes, stock only
    2) No
    3) No, to flash custom kernel you need fastboot, hence you need unlocked bootloader
    4) No, but you can try and see
    5) There is always a risk when you flash something to your phone.
    6) No risk, because without an unlocked bootloader it wont work*
    7) No, Stock advanced kernel is a custom kernel based on stock with cmw and a few other things incorpprated, whilst stock kernels are stock kernels.
    [*]How do I recover from a soft brick?
    Use search to find the "How to recover from soft brick thread. Or look in the tools section of this post. Or look in the third thread in the General section.
    [*]Can I find something on here that will Sim unlock my phone
    No
    [*]My bootloader unlock allowed = no, can I unlock my bootloader?
    NO!!

Last edited:

gregbradley

Retired Forum Moderator
[Q&A] General Chat, All XDA Members Welcome !! READ ME BEFORE POSTING

FTF's
Custom ROMS
Kernels
Bin4ry's Xperia Emporium [Still under construction]

This has been created and maintained by Bin4ry. It is a collection of tools and .ftf's from accross the Xperia range. Flash anything from another model at your own risk.
Bina4ry's Emporium

Last edited:

krabappel2548

Inactive Recognized Developer
Nov 15, 2011
Lommel
Who is planning to buy the Xperia T? ;)

Like some of you might have seen in development, I can't wait to develop for this new device from Sony :D

Sent from my LT26i using xda app-developers app

Reactions: cire1980

polle55

Oct 3, 2010
Video Editing App preinstalled?

Hi,
I want to buy the T because I like video filming.
But I don´t know if there is any sony video editing app at the T preinstalled.
I tried the Galaxy S3, it has a samsung video editor ("video maker") which works fine.
The reason why I´m asking: there are no usable video editing apps at the store.
If sony has no video editor which is allows e.g. cutting with dissolves, I have to return to the Galaxy.
Thanks T owners for some information!
And excuse my terrible english...

krabappel2548

Nov 15, 2011
Lommel
Hi,
I want to buy the T because I like video filming.
But I don´t know if there is any sony video editing app at the T preinstalled.
I tried the Galaxy S3, it has a samsung video editor ("video maker") which works fine.
The reason why I´m asking: there are no usable video editing apps at the store.
If sony has no video editor which is allows e.g. cutting with dissolves, I have to return to the Galaxy.
Thanks T owners for some information!
And excuse my terrible english...

from the Xperia T firmware I extracted, I know there is Google Movie Editor available on the Xperia T :)
I don't know if that's what you are searching for, but I think the app should be good for you :p

tilal6991

Dec 25, 2010
Getting the phone Tuesday. Will be devving CM10 to the best of my ability :)

skifyr123

Mar 24, 2011
Republic City
Going to help theme Sony's firmware for the T ;) Something you guys can expect: http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=1864109 & http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=1724602

Setting up a thread soon, and hope there are some willingness people around here to test. Ofc root is needed.

A little taste (buildt from T sysui):
o69bo.png

gregbradley

Retired Forum Moderator
My xperia t has just arrived at my house and before i get home tohave a play with it i was wondering if there was another method to unlock the bootloader than the official way via here?

I have unlocked the bootloader on my x10 and my neo, but i dont want sony to know.

Any help will be appreciated.

gregbradley

Retired Forum Moderator
One more rant....this time here at VODAFONE...

Just gone to have a play with xperia t and just found out my sim card from my neo will not fit into the xperia t because the xperia t has a micro sim...

WTF, why didnt vodafone send the new sim cards? Because they were out of stock they said.....I think I will be "out of stock" of money when it comes to paying my bill...

PS, Pandemic, this thread should be in the general section ;)

Just gone to have a play with xperia t and just found out my sim card from my neo will not fit into the xperia t because the xperia t has a micro sim...

WTF, why didnt vodafone send the new sim cards? Because they were out of stock they said.....I think I will be "out of stock" of money when it comes to paying my bill...

Yes i know but mikechannon put it here;)

Send to ya face with my flying Xperia Neo V with Jelly Sandwich 7.1 + Cheese !!!

Reactions: gregbradley

crazymister

Sep 18, 2010
Almere
Sony Xperia 1 II
Sony Xperia 1 IV
---------- Post added at 05:55 PM ---------- Previous post was at 05:54 PM ----------

[/COLOR]

I had the same problem as you. You can always cut yours with some scissors and some patience. I did that and it worked perfectly.

I can make a picture of my SIM card if you like

Did I help? Then please don't forget to press the thanks button.

Is your question solved? Then mark your question solved in your title.

Sent from my Xperia T using XDA Premium.

dd66

Jun 30, 2008
Paris
just a small question: how do you install a rom with a locked bootloader? (so with no CWM recovery...)

gregbradley

Retired Forum Moderator
just a small question: how do you install a rom with a locked bootloader? (so with no CWM recovery...)

Very good point, I hadnt realised that bit yet....

You can flash ftf's in flashtool, but custom roms flashed via recovery need unlocked bootloader as (Currently) there is no way to install recovery without unlocking...I will change the OP's accordingly

gregbradley

Retired Forum Moderator
[Root Instructions]

Step 1.
Download the latest flashtool, (Link is in this thread) Ensure you have the required drivers installed.

Step 2.
Connect your device as normal via USB

Step 3.
Select Tools-> Root -> Force AdbRestore hack and follow instructions, remember to actually select restore from your phone.

Credits to Androxyde for Flashtool.

Last edited:

M3lt3mi

Oct 17, 2012
unlocking bootloader

Please excuse my ignorance here as this is my first Android previously always been an iPhone. To unlock the bootloader via the Sony way it doesn't list the Xperia T, and when I do the check on my handset it says boot loader unlock as no. I thought this meant I couldn't but all the posts on this forum seem to point to the Sony site. Is it due to the handset/carrier I have or am I missing something.

Top Liked Posts