please delete

Would you like to see UbunTop as an upgrade for WebTop+?

• Keep UbunTop separate.

Votes: 48 19.4%
  • Make UbunTop a upgrade to WebTop+.

Votes: 86 34.8%
  • Have UbunTop as both standalone and upgrade.

Votes: 113 45.7%

• Total voters
Search This thread

zeguym

Apr 14, 2009
Nubia Red Magic 6
the Webtop over hdmi thread is a patch to allow you to run webtop without a dock or adapter.

this thread is a webtop replacement
I see. When using webtop over hdmi, that means i using stock webtop without dock. And this thread is another version of webtop (ubuntop right? ).

When using webtip over hdmi hack, its does not using nebtop nor webtop2sd, but in this thread, its using nebtop for activated webtop and optional webto2sd. What the difference about that?

Sorry i don't really understand about webtop, waiting for hdmi cable arrive before try it both.

Sorry about my bad english

studentjunk

Sep 24, 2007
Webtop2sd allows you to use your sd card for your webtop application instead of (maybe in addition - i'm not sure) the space set aside on the phone. It allows you to make a larger partition than is available on the phone. I think you have to format the sd card to do this. Been a while since I've done it.
Nebtop is just another hack to let you use the webtop without a dock.

The webtop will make more since once you get the cable. I would start by using either nebtop or the hdmi hack and playing with it for a few minutes. Then rom there you can decide what your wants/needs are.

Reactions: zeguym

Lokifish Marz

Inactive Recognized Developer
Mar 13, 2011
Olympus Mons, Mars
martian-imperium.com
I see. When using webtop over hdmi, that means i using stock webtop without dock. And this thread is another version of webtop (ubuntop right? ).

When using webtip over hdmi hack, its does not using nebtop nor webtop2sd, but in this thread, its using nebtop for activated webtop and optional webto2sd. What the difference about that?

Sorry i don't really understand about webtop, waiting for hdmi cable arrive before try it both.

Sorry about my bad english

1. Webtop+ and UbunTop are effectively an unlocked version of the stock webtop. It allows for you to install the apps you want. Another way to look at it is it turns your Photon into an Ubuntu PC that makes phone calls.

2. Nebtop is currently the best option for webtop without a dock. The HDMI hack, as nice as it is, has had some compatibility issues with newer ROMs.

3. Webtop2SD copies your existing webtop partition to your SDCard then runs webtop solely from the SDCard. The disadvantage is that Webtop runs notably slower on slower SDCards, Class 10 SDCards are highly suggested. The advantage is that you can create a custom partition size. The larger the partition, the more space you have for applications.

Cringer63

Jan 16, 2012
Working up to trying this real soon. I think I am on Imperium ROM for the foreseeable future. Been putting this off for months. Time to start up the research side of things, find out what the heck nebtop and stuff is. Run Ubuntu off my phone? Sounds good to me.

Sent from my MB855 using xda premium

didopido

Sep 15, 2008
Lokifish Marz, I would like to try the UbunTop and I'm currently on the latest joker's ROM, is it going to work with it?
Thank you.

Gack69

Nov 30, 2011
Louisville
As of 23:57 GMT -5 April 20, 2012 I have started the closing of Imperium Initiate website. The final wipe and domain release will occur on April 30th.

This thread is now for reference only and will no longer be maintained.

Are any of the files mirrored? In particular I am interested in: WebTop+ v1.2b with UbunTop Upgrade. I am hoping to flash that over top of Cybiks CM7 for this functionality.

Gack69

Nov 30, 2011
Louisville
Quick question for those who have a lapdock. I've modded an Atrix lapdock to work with my Mopho. I am interested in installing on Rocko's blur ROM, but torn on which to flash over top. Do I want to install webtop + Ubuntop Upgrade, or Ubuntop 1.2 standalone. I will not be using on HDMI dock but ONLY on the modded Lapdock. Which option is most appropriate or best suited for lapdock? That being said...what is the difference between the two? The standalone is a significantly larger file to flash.

TIA.

hellot1M

Jul 15, 2010
Quick question for those who have a lapdock. I've modded an Atrix lapdock to work with my Mopho. I am interested in installing on Rocko's blur ROM, but torn on which to flash over top. Do I want to install webtop + Ubuntop Upgrade, or Ubuntop 1.2 standalone. I will not be using on HDMI dock but ONLY on the modded Lapdock. Which option is most appropriate or best suited for lapdock? That being said...what is the difference between the two? The standalone is a significantly larger file to flash.

TIA.

Or wait for the new Ubuntu phone OS. (Not Ubuntu for android which I wouldn't be surprised if was included as an HDMI feature like the photon does with webtop

Sent from my I9300 using XDA

Reactions: Gack69

hoslayer13

Mar 21, 2011
Mulberry, Fl

TIA.
I think the standalone ubuntop had synaptic broken. Web top+ and the upgrade would make it stand alone except it would have residual install/config files from using the commands ubuntop upgrade folder

Sent from my MB855

studentjunk

Sep 24, 2007
If i am understanding, you want to Ron ubuntop and are trying to figure out which to install. They both have the same end result. The upgrade was made a few days earlier, and then he made the full. I think the end result is the upgrade is slightly larger after everything is installed. I remember asking a similar question earlier in the thread.
Sent from my MB855 using XDA

Lokifish Marz

Inactive Recognized Developer
Mar 13, 2011
Olympus Mons, Mars
martian-imperium.com
what is the difference between the two? The standalone is a significantly larger file to flash.

TIA.

Webtop+ is LXDE and no extras. UbunTop is XFCE and all the apps listed in the OP. If you have a fast connection the upgrade to Ubuntop takes about 20mins. If you don't want to wait then the standalone installs in about half the time.

Or wait for the new Ubuntu phone OS. (Not Ubuntu for android which I wouldn't be surprised if was included as an HDMI feature like the photon does with webtop

The last time I talked to Canonical both Ubuntu for Android and Ubuntu phone OS are for handset manufacturers and carriers only. I wouldn't expect to see either any time soon unless there's a lot going on behind the scenes that nobody has caught wind of.

hellot1M

Jul 15, 2010
Webtop+ is LXDE and no extras. UbunTop is XFCE and all the apps listed in the OP. If you have a fast connection the upgrade to Ubuntop takes about 20mins. If you don't want to wait then the standalone installs in about half the time.

The last time I talked to Canonical both Ubuntu for Android and Ubuntu phone OS are for handset manufacturers and carriers only. I wouldn't expect to see either any time soon unless there's a lot going on behind the scenes that nobody has caught wind of.

But eventually the source should be released to the public right? Maybe once their first product is released. Ubuntu is open source I just don't see them keeping the source closed but is understanding with waiting for a product to showcase the new is which I can see being released or demoed sometime this year or early next

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    I'M BACK!!!

After having to back away from development and the community for a while for numerous reasons I'm back. I have a ton of PM's (mostly OMAP release requests) to read as well as threads so I'm playing catch up.

My goals for UT/WT+ will be another base change as well as a unified locked/unlocked version for Tegra2 devices. This will increase install time significantly but allow those with locked phones running Gingerbread the ability to use UT/WT+. I may release a fast installer version of the upcoming new release but make no promises. There is still no UT/WT+ solution for ICS and JBean users so please don't ask.

I will also be updating the website and changing a few things to make D/L's a bit easier for folks. So, yes I'm back but it may be a few days before new releases and site updates appear.
    I haven't forgotten about Ubuntop, just been busy with life. With repos dropping off and the brickwall that Avant has become it has changed the game significantly. I was almost finished with an XFCE "Unity look" build that would have fit on the Atrix then packages started disappearing from the repos. Had I known this I would have never put all that time into going through packages one by one to see what I could remove to get XFCE to fit.

Since then I've been trying to get something that is based on more current code while trying to get it to fit on an Atrix. Right now it's down to a base Puppy Debian ARM build but this now requires I build a working Puppy image that duplicates Canonical's and Moto's work with little to go on. There's also my desire to have such support implemented in AOSP so you guys are not stuck on GB. With many of the other webtop/moto devs having moved on this is a slow process.

I am also planning a relaunch of the website in January with at least one familiar name added to the Imperium banner.

Hey guys,

I've followed the instructions exactly as described, but I'm running into 2 problems:

1. I've run Webtop2sd without any errors thrown. Unfortunately, even though disk analyzer shows 2gb of space available on a 3gb partition, synaptic and apt-get are throwing an error essentially saying I don't have enough space to install the software I have attempted (OpenOffice, vlc).

2. Some of the repositories included by default do not seem to exist anymore.

From terminal in Ubuntop, run this command "df -h" and let me know what you get.

As far as the repos disappearing, Webtop was based on some very old code. The problem is that on the Atrix, getting an updated Ubuntu build to fit inside the 750MB partition is near impossible as even Maverick is dropping off as well.

Will UbunTop run over HDMI? I have an Otterbox Defender case and don't want to take the case off to drop it into the HD dock so I'd like to run it over HDMI (with bluetooth mouse/keyboard).

I did find a thread "[Q] Forcing Webtop over HDMI Cable" but it requires replacing several files so I was wondering if that trick would work for UbunTop?

If your ROM doesn't already support it then use nebtop.

If installing a new Gingerbread ROM, how can I preserve my Ubuntop setup?

Copy /data/home to you SDCard
    install your rom but do not format /osh
    after you set up your rom, copy your backup of /data/home back to the phone

This will preserve any customizations you have done to the desktop as well as any files/shortcuts you may have created.
    I've been trying to get together as much data as I can regarding the six Tegra2 devices that Moto dropped (eight if read by model number) as well as trying to locate the bloody ICS and JB Photon leaks (do not ask how I know they exist). I have also been trying to get what info I have to the proper press outlets like I did on Friday to break the news and reaching out to Moto via public and official means. As a result my dev time has been limited.

I can't remember if I uploaded the new menupatch yet for 1.1.0 but will try to get that taken care of. I also have not received much feedback from Imperium members regarding Beta 1.2.0. I'm still working on things but I hope folks understand that I'm also trying to help Moto Tegra2 owners as a whole.