Viber unlocks screen when message is received

Search This thread

Viber Team

Feb 2, 2011
@IncCo. -

As we've explained, at the moment unfortunately not. We will add the option of disabling this behavior in future versions.

swissmountain

Mar 19, 2011
Zug, Switzerland
same Probelm here...

I have exactly the same issue with my HTC Sensation... Every Viber message lights up the screen and many times the phone has done weird things when I have it in my pocket.
Tried all options and settings as well, no luck...

Pleas fix this asap, it's really annoying!

Thanks.

Viber Team

Feb 2, 2011
@swissmountain -

Thank you for the details of the problem.
It's important to be accurate here - as far as we understand, the problem is that Viber lights up the screen. It doesn't unlock the phone (and if it does - then there is an option - that works, to the best of our knowledge - that prevents this from happening. This option can be found in Viber's "More" tab).

The "lighting up" problem will be addressed in future versions of us.

MrMosoani

Oct 22, 2011
Makati
@swissmountain -

Thank you for the details of the problem.
It's important to be accurate here - as far as we understand, the problem is that Viber lights up the screen. It doesn't unlock the phone (and if it does - then there is an option - that works, to the best of our knowledge - that prevents this from happening. This option can be found in Viber's "More" tab).

The "lighting up" problem will be addressed in future versions of us.

Thank you. I always visit this thread and just waiting for the fix. Just sad that it's been months now and still the issue is still there.
However, it's understandable that coding to fix it is hard. It's just that, it's been months already. :)

I still have the app but also using other similar app when viber is acting weird. Like, not sending image, always fails (then I would go to other app to send the image and the other CAN do it), then sometimes it works. There are times that it reboots the phone when it lags.
Viber is user friendly in terms of the GUI and call quality is great that is why we users are still using it. Hopefully, update will fix ALL these
to make the app perfect.

Viber Team

Feb 2, 2011
Hi,

Were trying to work as fast as we can within our limited time and manpower. We hope to bring you the major update soon (with many bug fixes, and also new features).
Meanwhile, we released a new version today: 2.3.6

Check it out and see if it helps. If not, then the wait for the new update should not be long, hopefully.

kwekwekproven

Mar 3, 2013
Still having this problem on my Nexus 4. It wakes up my screen (not unlock) everytime i recieve a message, that cause it to go loco in ny pocket. I'm on 4.2.2.

Sent from my Nexus 4 using xda app-developers app

Narga

Sep 9, 2011
HaiPhong
www.narga.net
Me too, it's lighting up the screen, after 15s the screen dim the light then keep it dimming until I unlock screen to read it. I'm using Nexus 4 on 4.2.2.
I've waited the dim screen to turn off but it's still dim the light forever

Viber Team

Feb 2, 2011
Hi guys,

This is a known issue, as we've mentioned earlier in this thread, and we plan to include a solution for this in our upcoming major new version.
We apologize for the temporary inconvenience.

Viber Team

Feb 2, 2011
Hi,

We are excited and proud to announce that we have just released a brand new product: Viber Desktop, as well as a major new update to our mobile application: Viber 3.0 for iOS and Android.

- What is Viber Desktop?

Viber for Windows/Mac lets you send free messages and make free calls to other Viber users, on any device and network, in any country!
Viber syncs your contacts, messages and call history with your mobile device, so you can start the conversation on the Viber mobile application and continue from the comfort of your PC.

In Viber Desktop you can find HD-quality voice calls, video calls, text and photo messaging, group conversations, and many more!
You can check out the cool tutorial for Viber Desktop here: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NEqS5W-KfRw
Download Viber, enter your phone number, and start connecting with your friends for free, from your computer!

- What's new in Viber 3.0 for iOS and Android?

Video messages, Online status and "Last online" feature, new package of fun stickers, improved user interface as well as enhanced photo experience, and much more.
Note that Viber is now designed according to Google's guidelines for android apps based on the HOLO theme (Android only).

As usual, we're here to receive your feedback and thoughts, and we'd be more than happy to assist you with any matter.

Best regards,
the Viber Team.

llevo3

Apr 19, 2010
OnePlus 7T
Me too, it's lighting up the screen, after 15s the screen dim the light then keep it dimming until I unlock screen to read it. I'm using Nexus 4 on 4.2.2.
I've waited the dim screen to turn off but it's still dim the light forever

+1 I'm on v3.0

---------- Post added at 09:26 AM ---------- Previous post was at 09:17 AM ----------

I have the same problem on Galaxy Nexus while ago. It was a bit annoying and because of that I have to uninstall Viber. Now it's happenig again on my Nexus 4 on v3.0 :(

Reactions: Viber Team

Viber Team

Feb 2, 2011
We are looking into it, and we will probably add an option in Viber's settings that allows the user to disable the lighting up of the screen (as opposed to simply disabling it ourselves).

We are sorry for the long wait - this issue has been discussed in the last few days, and know that we are aware of it, and plan to fix it.

Reactions: llevo3

ramiro.f

Dec 8, 2011
I was also disappointed by the fact that my screen still lights up with version 3.0, but the transition to holo style is definitely a massive improvement, great work. I'm looking forward to having the ability to disable the screen lighting up when I get a message, and then I might start using this instead of whatsapp.

However, I noticed your notification icon is still purple in the notification bar, despite the Android 4.0 design guidelines starting it should be monochrome. Any chance this will be updated?

Sent from my Nexus 4 using XDA Premium HD app

Viber Team

Feb 2, 2011
@ramiro.f -

Our icon is purple when Viber is connected, and will be grey when it's disconnected. The change in colors here is crucial, informing the user whether or not Viber is connected to our servers, thus available.

zheker

May 20, 2013
ETA

We are looking into it, and we will probably add an option in Viber's settings that allows the user to disable the lighting up of the screen (as opposed to simply disabling it ourselves).

We are sorry for the long wait - this issue has been discussed in the last few days, and know that we are aware of it, and plan to fix it.

I (and probably not only I) would really appreciate if you could give at least approximate ETA for a fix

TIA

Viber Team

Feb 2, 2011
We understand this expectation from us, but unfortunately at this stage we are not able to announce an ETA.
We hope to add it to one of our 3.x updates. We're working on it at the moment, and when we have news we'll let you know.

Bresch

May 9, 2012
We understand this expectation from us, but unfortunately at this stage we are not able to announce an ETA.
We hope to add it to one of our 3.x updates. We're working on it at the moment, and when we have news we'll let you know.

You've been saying that for the past 6 months..
I've been forced to use Tasker to lock my screen every time there is a Viber notification. also other VoiP has a much smaller ram footprint than viber.
fed up with viber..only useful feature viber has come up with the last six months is beeing able to choose your ringtone and the holo theme..which in it self is more than 18 months old...

putu13

Sep 23, 2011
The screen still turns on every time I receive a message. v3.0.2, so almost no (positive) changes last few months.
I realize Viber is a free app and I shouldn't ask much, but it seems to me that it only got bigger and more RAM greedy. ...as if everyone had SGS4.

jarobusa

Apr 17, 2011
+1 I'm on v3.0

---------- Post added at 09:26 AM ---------- Previous post was at 09:17 AM ----------

I have the same problem on Galaxy Nexus while ago. It was a bit annoying and because of that I have to uninstall Viber. Now it's happenig again on my Nexus 4 on v3.0 :(

This is very annoying. When ever a message comes in my screen turns on. Any fix coming? If not then this will need to be uninstalled, cant have my phone flashing all night long.

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    Stop it. Just stop it.

We'd like to note the difference:

Even at the moment, Viber does unlock the screen upon an incoming message or call (unless the user chooses to do that - it's optional).
    What it currently does is that it lights up the screen. As we explained, we added an option to disable this in our upcoming Viber 4.0.

We ask for just a bit more patience, and we apologize for the temporary inconvenience.

Very few people here are mistaking the difference. The issue is you have promised a fix to for months now and failed to deliver. And please stop trying to make your customer interaction seem anything above minimum simply because you post comments in a thread addressing issues with your product twice a month. It's borderline insulting.
    and we got almost october and the problem is still here...

Not months ?

weird... seems more than months..
    Hi,

We are excited and proud to announce that we have just released a major new update to our mobile application: Viber 4.0!

What's new in the new version?

- New option for disabling/enabling the screen's lighting up upon incoming messages.
    - Choose from over 1,000 stickers in the brand new Sticker Market. The Sticker Market features endless possibilities for brightening up your conversations. Download themed sticker packages and enjoy the party!
    - Push-to-talk voice messaging. Send messages instantly with the new push-to-talk feature that streams your voice message as you record it.
    - (Android only) Supported tablet compatibility. Viber is now fully compatible with your tablet device(s). Enjoy quality conversations, wherever is most comfortable for you!
    - Group capacity increased to 100 members. Whether you want to share with your nearest and dearest or just send a message to a large group of people, Viber groups let you get in touch with even more people, all in one place.
    - Beautiful conversation backgrounds in the new background gallery. Choose elegant backgrounds to decorate your conversations from our new collection, designed by our very own Viber artists.
    - Forward messages to your groups. Sharing is caring. The popular feature for contacts is now also available for all groups!

As usual, we will be right here to receive your thoughts and feedback. If anyone encounters any problems or would like to share their experiences from our new update, please don't hesitate to contact us.

Best regards,
    the Viber Team.
    Hey, everyone. I sort of reached the fed up point today.

I'm using Viber more and more because I feel WhatsApp bait-and-switched on me from when they said years back "completely free", yes, they said this, and now they want me to pay. I don't mind buying apps, I buy a ton of them, but holding me "messaging hostage" with a bait and switch leaves the most sour taste in my mouth of principles. But now, I deal more and more with my screen being on, when my phone's in my pocket, just sitting on the desk, wherever. This MUST stop.

More and more of my friends are on Line now. It seems to have a business model that allows for free calls, doesn't have simple text messages blocked in half the countries I visit (Viber, fix port blocking, at a minimum, move text to a different port, it isn't that hard), and doesn't turn my damn screen on when I don't want it.

So, Viber, there you have it, even with a free model, you can still lose customers to MONTHS of having not fixed a problem (yes, PROBLEM) that no other messaging app seems to have. Your users will leave, they will move, I've done it once, "we're" all doing it "again" constantly.