S5 Active - Options?

Search This thread

BuLLitz

Dec 4, 2010
I hope this is the right place for this post. I have yet to do one in the right place. :eek:

I recently purchased an S5 Active from ATT. When I purchased it, I got the Gear 2 Neo for only $99.
I AM STEAMED that the sales person did not tell me that the S5 Active is not really compatible with the Gear 2.

When I go into the Gear Manager on my S5 Active, under Utilities category, there are only 4 applications available to me.
It was 3, but they just added a new one. 2 of my top reasons why I wanted the Gear are not available in the Gear Manager.

When I install the Gear Manager on my wife's S5, there are more Utility applications in HER Gear Manager than I want to count.

Do I have any options other than to wait and HOPE that Samsung pulls their heads out of their lower orifices???
Is there a way to trick the Gear Manager into not knowing that I have the Active model?
Is there another Gear Manager that I can use that would not block the apps?

adrock74

Feb 24, 2012
Newburgh
What apps are you wanting? My neo works great with my active. Though i do hope for some developers to open it up

BuLLitz

Dec 4, 2010

BuLLitz

Dec 4, 2010
Backcountry Navigator is available on my wifes S5, but not on my Active.
Sleep As Android is another although I coundn't find that on either the regular S5 or the Active...
http://challengepost.com/software/sleep-as-android-gear-add-on

Apparently, there is a whole world of stuff I am missing out on...

PS: According to the support desk for BackCountry Navigator, it is not the developers holding back items for the S5 Active.
It is Samsung holding back.

Thanks for the info. Yes! There is way!
I will research how to that and see what I can find.
Thanks again.

Once rooted, use a root enabled file explorer (I like Root Explorer), open up /system/build.prop, look for the line ro.product.model=SAMSUNG-SM-G870A and change to ro.product.model=SAMSUNG-SM-G900A
Reboot, and voila! Samsung Apps thinks your phone is an AT&T model S5.

Reactions: BuLLitz

BuLLitz

Dec 4, 2010
Once rooted, use a root enabled file explorer (I like Root Explorer), open up /system/build.prop, look for the line ro.product.model=SAMSUNG-SM-G870A and change to ro.product.model=SAMSUNG-SM-G900A

I finally got up the nerve to do this.

I now have access to all of the same apps in the gear store that my wife does!

Thank you thank you thank you :good: :good: :good:

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    I rooted my active and changed the build.prop to identify my device as a regular s5. I have all the apps now and no down side that I've noticed yet.
    Thanks for the info. Yes! There is way!
    I will research how to that and see what I can find.
    Thanks again.