[Q] Rooting other than model R800i

Search This thread

Warudakumi

Apr 28, 2011
I have a AT&T Xperia Play R800AT and was wondering if the R800i Root method works on the Canadian R800A model? What build are you guys on? I'm very anxious to Root mine with the R800i method but was wondering if it's build specific? Thanks!

illuminerdi

May 6, 2011
Hey thatsupnow - what did you do once rooted? Are you running Cyanogen? If so, how well does it work?

I've never installed modded android before, though I've jailbroken plenty of iPhones in my day:

1) Will my purchased stuff transfer over if I purchased it before Cyanogen? (
2) Does anyone know if PS Classics work on Cyanogen?
3) Should I even bother with Cyanogen, or just root my Xperia Play and be done with it?
4) What can I do once I'm rooted that I can't do pre-root?

Total, noob, I know. Thanks for any advice!

Warudakumi

Apr 28, 2011
Hey thatsupnow - what did you do once rooted? Are you running Cyanogen? If so, how well does it work?

I've never installed modded android before, though I've jailbroken plenty of iPhones in my day:

1) Will my purchased stuff transfer over if I purchased it before Cyanogen? (
2) Does anyone know if PS Classics work on Cyanogen?
3) Should I even bother with Cyanogen, or just root my Xperia Play and be done with it?
4) What can I do once I'm rooted that I can't do pre-root?

Total, noob, I know. Thanks for any advice!

I've come from the Apple Scene as well so I'm pretty much new to this and only flashed a couple of android devices so far.

1) Samsung Vibrant
2) Samsung Galaxy Tab
3) Flytab (generic 7" ipad 1.6 android)

Whatever you purchase in the Android Market, As long as you login using the same google account you made the purchase with previously just like iTunes you can re-download your purchases for free. You can also browse the APK folder on your device and backup your .apk files if u wish as well.

Cynogen is a custom rom that tweaks a android device with better options and customization. To my knowledge I don't think you should flash the device right now since there is no "cooked roms" specifically for the Xperia Play at the moment. The android OS is pretty much universal on lots of platforms but just like any OS it needs specific drivers built into it in order for it to talk to your device and run correctly.

Think of Windows for example, in order for your new Graphics card you bought at the store to display properly on your PC you would have to install the device drivers first in order for it to work properly. If you don't you will experience vast side effects like only 256 colors 640-680 resolution etc.

In this case Android is like windows and "fragmented" because there are lots of IBM compatible PC's in the market today each with it's own different graphics cards, cd-rom/dvd and media etc. This is why Apple IOS mobile devices can see faster updates because they only have to develop for minimal devices.

I just picked up a Dell Streak 7 from my coworker that i've been toying with. It's definitely faster than my Galaxy Tab but I'm hoping in due time Dell or a awesome DEV will port Honeycomb 3.0 onto it. Reading threads people are saying maybe looking into the Motorola Xoom will help develop for the Dell since it uses the same Tegra 2 processor but again just like the above I mentioned, it's a whole different animal besides the Tegra and needs specific drivers. Look at the Nook Color with Honeycomb. I'm amazed at how well it's working but it still needs some work to be polished.

So yeah man, just root the phone and chill for the time being. Thats what I did for the moment although I would like to change a few things. Have you tried any home launchers yet and have you found a way to switch to Edge? I'm always on 3G and it would be nice to switch to EDGE so i'll have more battery life for games.

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    yep gingerbreak v1.2 works great did it to mine first day i got it
    If you try I would try the gingerbreak method as it's more universal then using a unlocked bootloader and flash some firmware.