DTS Audio for android == LAWSUIT

How do you deal with DTS Audio?

• Total voters
Search This thread

zmore

Apr 25, 2011
NYC
DTS audio *used* to work outofthebox in both DicePlayer (my old favorite), and in MX Player (my new fav), but both of them REMOVED the dts codec a few months ago apparently because of the threat of lawsuits from using unlicensed code.
(UPDATE: DicePlayer dev juami posted below that they were refused even the option to buy a license for DTS, because they prefer to deal with the big industry players instead; also, DicePlayer can still play dts IF you install an external codec plug-in)

Just curious what most people are doing out there in order to play their mkv videos with the very common DTS audio track (vs the less common AAC/MP3/etc audio tracks). Re-encoding phone-friendly versions with HandBrake; using an old app with DTS support; using a PAID app that paid the licensing fee (can't find one), or, something else...

EDIT: I'm going to keep a list here of players that are known to support DTS or not:

DTS IS SUPPORTED OTTB (for now):
VLC Beta - (h/w 1080p decode works! - BEST option, but, the app must be sideloaded, since it shows as incompatible with the US S3 in the Play store. See Time_Zone's post below for the attached VLC apk. Thanks!)
BS Player - (s/w ONLY (eats battery): h/w mode always falls back to s/w mode, but dts is ok. 720p s/w == ok; 1080p s/w == CPU can't keep up; too choppy)
Rock Player - (s/w ONLY (eats battery): no DTS when in h/w video playback mode, and s/w playback is blocky crap. Also, the app fails to playback a video when sent a video intent to play from another app)

DTS NOT SUPPORTED:
Video Player default - (Touchwiz, AOSP (CM10, AOKP, ...))
MX Player - (updated versions removed codec; google for old apk version)
Dice Player - (updated versions removed codec; google for old apk version (2.0.6), or try searching XDA for external plug-in support instead.)
Mobo Player

Last edited:

Time_Zone

Apr 12, 2011
DTS audio *used* to work in both DicePlayer (my old favorite; discontinued), and in MX Player (my new fav), but both of them REMOVED the dts codec a few months ago because of the threat of lawsuits.

Just curious what most people are doing out there in order to play their mkv videos with the very common DTS audio track (vs the less common AAC/MP3/etc audio tracks). Re-encoding phone-friendly versions with HandBrake; using an old app with DTS support; using a PAID app that paid the licensing fee (can't find one), or, something else...

VLC BETA... you have to search for it. It does work.

zmore

Apr 25, 2011
NYC
VLC BETA... you have to search for it. It does work.

Awesome. I'll give it try, even through from what I've read the beta is still very buggy & laggy.

Wonder how long they'll "get away with it" before removing DTS support too.

EDIT: VLC beta is currently incompatible with the US SGS3

Last edited:

zmore

Apr 25, 2011
NYC
FWIW, BS Player is one of the few I've found that can handle DTS Audio, however, it fails to playback do h/w accelerated playback of the video, and falls back to s/w, so it's choppy with 720p, and fails with 1080p

zmore

Apr 25, 2011
NYC
huh... This one seems to be working for me...

Whoa! That works! Wonder why the Play store shows it as incompatible...

So, after enabling h/w acceleration (disabled by default), my 720p & 1080p vids play without a hiccup. Smooth video & crisp dts audio. I'm not seeing all the bugs that are warned about. :) Thanks man.

Last edited:

Time_Zone

Apr 12, 2011
If I try to skip ahead or behind off a cifs mount across network the audio goes out of synch... Thats the only bug I have seen.

juami

Sep 29, 2007

zmore

Apr 25, 2011
NYC
Diceplayer is not discontinued. ( https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.inisoft.mediaplayer.a&hl=en )

and there are a way to enable un-supported codec
search "xda diceplayer dts"

The impression I got is that DicePlayer switched from AdSupported&Paid versions to DonationWare in preparation of becoming AbandonWare. In any case, they removed DTS, so it's out of the running, and from the comments I read about the external dts workaround you mentioned: it doesn't work as well. VLC wins for now. Thanks, though.

NZtechfreak

Sep 5, 2008
For myself I have a backed up apk of the last MX Player to ahve DTS and I simply install that on new devices.

juami

Sep 29, 2007
The impression I got is that DicePlayer switched from AdSupported&Paid versions to DonationWare in preparation of becoming AbandonWare. In any case, they removed DTS, so it's out of the running, and from the comments I read about the external dts workaround you mentioned: it doesn't work as well. VLC wins for now. Thanks, though.

That is your impression. but I am working for upgrading diceplayer. We do not adandon diceplayer. I am very upset and feel that I should really adondon diceplayer. Why do I do bothering jobs like supporting JB and fixing bugs and adding external codec features.

removing DTS is another problems. MX also remove DTS. we have same situations.

did you copy libffmpeg.so to /sdcard ( root of internal storage memory ). and enable custom plug-in and restart diceplayer?

zmore

Apr 25, 2011
NYC
That is your impression. but I am working for upgrading diceplayer. We do not adandon diceplayer. I am very upset and feel that I should really adondon diceplayer. Why do I do bothering jobs like supporting JB and fixing bugs and adding external codec features.

did you copy libffmpeg.so to /sdcard ( root of internal storage memory ). and enable custom plug-in and restart diceplayer?

I didn't realize you were one of the DicePlayer devs when I replied. So, sorry 'bout sounding as if I was bashing DicePlayer.

I used your app for over a year mainly because it was fast, played just about everything I threw at it, and because it was and still is the only player (afaik) that can browse & directly stream from windows network shares (without having to first mount samba/cifs in a separate app). It was just the loss of DTS and the (false) impression of it becoming abandonware that made me leave it.

Mind if I ask how much the lawyers were asking for a DTS licensing fee? And, how is it that VLC and others are getting away with it?

Last edited:

juami

Sep 29, 2007
DTS deny to sell thier products to sw player makers.
We already contact them to buy license. But they refuse to sell.
They want to sell DTS license to hw vendor like samsung.

xtrememorph

Mar 16, 2010
And Samsung don't want to buy to put it in their hardware... don't they know that make their handset sells even faster??

xtrememorph

Mar 16, 2010
Trying out to video on Galaxy S 3 Jelly Bean (Omega V14)

Dice Player - Error prompt "Video playback Sorry, this video cannot be played." just by starting the app
MX Player - 1.6F show version not supported and close
VLC Player - Software mode playback on some videos ok, enable hardware with have choppy videos

Not sure is upgrading to JB worth it...

zmore

Apr 25, 2011
NYC

Dice Player - Error prompt "Video playback Sorry, this video cannot be played." just by starting the app
VLC Player - Software mode playback on some videos ok, enable hardware with have choppy videos

I see no Omega ROM in the dev forum... and when I google it, it says it's still ICS, not JB.

Anyhoo, VLC Player has been great for me, and it's all I use now since it plays everything I throw at it (like DicePlayer used to). My only minor gripe with it is that it's sometimes herkyjerky in the first 3 seconds of video before it 'catches up', so I can never see the first few seconds of some videos.

ghost77

May 23, 2010

If rom is CyanogenMod ,ASOP/AOKP they won't have samsung media codecs. That's why hardware acceleration not working.
Flash samsung stock based rom with proper kernel i recommend this ktoonsez sammy kernel . And video playback will work properly.

dikime

Oct 28, 2010
MX won't be compatible cause of the mentioned legal issues, but they added support for custom ffmpeg builds, which eventually might help adding DTS support back... if someone does it ofc.

jebise101

Jan 22, 2010
might try Dice player again with the dts tweak, but i have been using vplayer for videos with DTS. Free in the play store and works rather well.

Well just like last time Dice player freezes and lags, with certain MKV files such as anime. BS Player is by far the best player around and love the LAN features, just wish the UI was cleaner.

Last edited:
Reactions: p.d.r

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    DTS audio *used* to work outofthebox in both DicePlayer (my old favorite), and in MX Player (my new fav), but both of them REMOVED the dts codec a few months ago apparently because of the threat of lawsuits from using unlicensed code.
    (UPDATE: DicePlayer dev juami posted below that they were refused even the option to buy a license for DTS, because they prefer to deal with the big industry players instead; also, DicePlayer can still play dts IF you install an external codec plug-in)

EDIT: I'm going to keep a list here of players that are known to support DTS or not:

DTS IS SUPPORTED OTTB (for now):
    VLC Beta - (h/w 1080p decode works! - BEST option, but, the app must be sideloaded, since it shows as incompatible with the US S3 in the Play store. See Time_Zone's post below for the attached VLC apk. Thanks!)
    BS Player - (s/w ONLY (eats battery): h/w mode always falls back to s/w mode, but dts is ok. 720p s/w == ok; 1080p s/w == CPU can't keep up; too choppy)
    Rock Player - (s/w ONLY (eats battery): no DTS when in h/w video playback mode, and s/w playback is blocky crap. Also, the app fails to playback a video when sent a video intent to play from another app)

DTS NOT SUPPORTED:
    Video Player default - (Touchwiz, AOSP (CM10, AOKP, ...))
    MX Player - (updated versions removed codec; google for old apk version)
    Dice Player - (updated versions removed codec; google for old apk version (2.0.6), or try searching XDA for external plug-in support instead.)
    Mobo Player
    Awesome. I'll give it try, even through from what I've read the beta is still very buggy & laggy.

Wonder how long they'll "get away with it" before removing DTS support too.

EDIT: VLC beta is currently incompatible with the US SGS3

huh... This one seems to be working for me...
    It looks like I'm not so new anymore:

mxplayer-v1-7-ffmpeg-2012-09-16-neon.zip (md5: e5bf7c05c680006d81fbccefb79fc713)
    -> https://anonfiles.com/file/e5bf7c05c680006d81fbccefb79fc713
    mxplayer-v1-7-ffmpeg-2012-09-16-tegra2.zip (md5: c64f7dc461d3f4c2bbda08c726f478c9)
    -> https://anonfiles.com/file/c64f7dc461d3f4c2bbda08c726f478c9
    mxplayer-v1-7-ffmpeg-2012-09-16-v6_vfp.zip (md5: 553367b419e6c855b6eb32f7abd35ec1)
    -> https://anonfiles.com/file/553367b419e6c855b6eb32f7abd35ec1
    mxplayer-v1-7-ffmpeg-2012-09-16-v6.zip (md5: 342a2a8bda3f9a8ebd5b62e95a8593a2)
    -> https://anonfiles.com/file/342a2a8bda3f9a8ebd5b62e95a8593a2
    mxplayer-v1-7-ffmpeg-2012-09-16-v5te.zip (md5: 6ea66726b362a73e9b962be7a05af3a6)
    -> https://anonfiles.com/file/6ea66726b362a73e9b962be7a05af3a6