[Q] Rooting my device

Search This thread

Panickeyaxes

May 9, 2014
Is it necessary to go through all of the pain of unlocking the bootloader of my device to root it? Or is there some easier way that allows me to bypass this, as it all seems kind of unnecessary to me?

Is it necessary to go through all of the pain of unlocking the bootloader of my device to root it? Or is there some easier way that allows me to bypass this, as it all seems kind of unnecessary to me?

As far as I know, it's not necessary to unlock the bootloader to root your phone, in fact, I rooted my AHD BEFORE I unlocked the bootloader. As for the ways, you can use MythTools, just search them on the forum. ;)

skeevydude

Inactive Recognized Contributor
Feb 10, 2012
Hot Springs
See above.....though you're lucky because it's much easier to root these days. Anyone remember when we were doing Samba mounts with Linux for root?

Your phone has to be rooted to unlock the bootloader, and I'd advise you to unlock your bootloader now. It's easy and it can save your ass if anything goes wrong with the phone.

There's no reason not to unlock the bootloader unless you can't because it's a work phone or warranty reasons or whatever.

Warranty issues aside, almost every part for this phone can be found for real cheap and the hardest repair is a cracked digitizer or lcd screen, both of which can be done by anyone for $20 in parts and 30 minutes of time. Only thing you might not easily find is a motherboard, but a broke screen used Atrix HD can be found on ebay for cheap and the board swapped from it.

Arjomer

Oct 12, 2013
See above.....though you're lucky because it's much easier to root these days. Anyone remember when we were doing Samba mounts with Linux for root?

Your phone has to be rooted to unlock the bootloader, and I'd advise you to unlock your bootloader now. It's easy and it can save your ass if anything goes wrong with the phone.

There's no reason not to unlock the bootloader unless you can't because it's a work phone or warranty reasons or whatever.

Warranty issues aside, almost every part for this phone can be found for real cheap and the hardest repair is a cracked digitizer or lcd screen, both of which can be done by anyone for $20 in parts and 30 minutes of time. Only thing you might not easily find is a motherboard, but a broke screen used Atrix HD can be found on ebay for cheap and the board swapped from it.

I wanted to cry the first time I saw the "Linux samba" thing. But then mythtools came for lazy people like me:D

skeevydude

Feb 10, 2012
Hot Springs
I wanted to cry the first time I saw the "Linux samba" thing. But then mythtools came for lazy people like me:D

I hear ya. I went "wtf, samba? At least I already run Linux, but this will suck for the average dude.”

I almost managed to get root using a modified samba method and my Defy. Probably could have if I looked into it farther, but rooting became so easy so fast I said f it....the bootloader was unlocked a month after I purchased the Atrix HD.

Arjomer

Oct 12, 2013
I hear ya. I went "wtf, samba? At least I already run Linux, but this will suck for the average dude.”

I almost managed to get root using a modified samba method and my Defy. Probably could have if I looked into it farther, but rooting became so easy so fast I said f it....the bootloader was unlocked a month after I purchased the Atrix HD.

Lmao.
Just curious... When did you get your AHD?

skeevydude

Feb 10, 2012
Hot Springs
Lmao.
Just curious... When did you get your AHD?

I picked it up about 1 year ago for 99 cents. Gonna have it for a year longer until the AT&T contract is up. Maybe longer than that if I don't see any phone that's really worth buying.

/I'd really like it if they took the Atrix HD, made the screen a bit bigger, and gave it the X's cpu and whatnot.
//There really aren't that many large screen phones with the durable feel that my Motorola phones have.
///Why doesn't Motorola have a phablet sized phone? I hope rumors are true...

Arjomer

Oct 12, 2013
I picked it up about 1 year ago for 99 cents. Gonna have it for a year longer until the AT&T contract is up. Maybe longer than that if I don't see any phone that's really worth buying.

/I'd really like it if they took the Atrix HD, made the screen a bit bigger, and gave it the X's cpu and whatnot.
//There really aren't that many large screen phones with the durable feel that my Motorola phones have.
///Why doesn't Motorola have a phablet sized phone? I hope rumors are true...

Also, a better battery. The stock one... Sucks

devilsking

Inactive Recognized Themer
Sep 14, 2010
Hanoi
www.themythace.com

I had to install ubuntu to do rooting and one day later, we have one-click rooting method :silly:

skeevydude

Feb 10, 2012
Hot Springs
Also, a better battery. The stock one... Sucks

I'm usually able to get a full days worth of crap in with the current KK roms, less if I'm on the internet a lot, but for just music, maps, and phone calls, I can get up to 2 days on a single charge with the EB20. But yeah, I agree...the EB40 should be the regular battery and there shouldn't even be a Maxx version...

Crap battery is the trade off for thinner phones that act as a fashion statement....I don't think any of us are that vain and would prefer a long lasting brick over a short lasting cd case. Blame Apple and hipsters.

I had to install ubuntu to do rooting and one day later, we have one-click rooting method :silly:

If that doesn't take the cake then I don't know what does.

Arjomer

Oct 12, 2013
I'm usually able to get a full days worth of crap in with the current KK roms, less if I'm on the internet a lot, but for just music, maps, and phone calls, I can get up to 2 days on a single charge with the EB20. But yeah, I agree...the EB40 should be the regular battery and there shouldn't even be a Maxx version...

Crap battery is the trade off for thinner phones that act as a fashion statement....I don't think any of us are that vain and would prefer a long lasting brick over a short lasting cd case. Blame Apple and hipsters.

Well, without internet It could last more than a day but I use it most of the time. I wouldn't complain too much about it If I could just buy the EB40 but... It doesn't ship to my country. so I guess I'd need to get a new phone soon. I'm pretty sure It won't be a hipster thing.

And since I have no money, I'll be with my AHD for a while, Lol.

skeevydude

Feb 10, 2012
Hot Springs
Well, without internet It could last more than a day but I use it most of the time. I wouldn't complain too much about it If I could just buy the EB40 but... It doesn't ship to my country. so I guess I'd need to get a new phone soon. I'm pretty sure It won't be a hipster thing.

And since I have no money, I'll be with my AHD for a while, Lol.

Same here, except the shipping part :(. That sucks. I picked the Atrix HD for function over fashion....could have got a GS3 at the time, but I don't want a plastic Samsung. Hell, I've only had one friend that's actually liked their Samsung phone and that's a buddy with a Note 3 (and he'd like it if it felt more durable as well as not liking the OS tweaks...his previous phone was a RAZR HD Maxx and he liked that OS)

Arjomer

Oct 12, 2013
Same here, except the shipping part :(. That sucks. I picked the Atrix HD for function over fashion....could have got a GS3 at the time, but I don't want a plastic Samsung. Hell, I've only had one friend that's actually liked their Samsung phone and that's a buddy with a Note 3 (and he'd like it if it felt more durable as well as not liking the OS tweaks...his previous phone was a RAZR HD Maxx and he liked that OS)

Well, the kevlar back looks really sexy. I wouldn't like a plastic samsung phone, even though a lot of people likes It, people's tastes are weird... The only thing I like of samsung is the #GALAXY11 Lol