Real life battery stats

Search This thread

.OmEgA

May 16, 2011
Michigan
Look at all these OMGZ BATTERY LASTED FIVE DAYZ AWESOME BAHHHH! I've noticed one common thing between them all, well 90% of them at least, the owners don't use their phones. You see these long battery life's but very short on screen time and very long intervals in between on screen times. Its common sense that you'll get great battery life if you let your phone sit hours on end just idling.

For the people who actually use their phone like texting, phone calls, surf various sites, and play games, having great battery life like all these people say is a dream. I want to get an idea on what real world use on your phone gets you.

Here's some screenshots of today's battery cycle, which is about average everyday for me. I've sent and received in the neighborhood of 250+ texts, surfed various sites, trolled xda, played a game for a while, and read my news.

So let's see what my life compares to all the other power users like myself vs the people who let their phone idle in the corner for three days and say they got amazing life.

Edit:
AOKP b23
Matrix 17.0
100/800 lazy

2rgne4n.png

33eh9xh.png

2pziiiw.png

Last edited:

niteh@wk

Oct 14, 2011
That's badass!! Though I don't use my phone much during the day at work. I check Tweetdeck for facebook and twitter timelines, XDA app, gmail, listen to music at times, read news through Pulse and Browser. Here's my battery stats for that one day that I wanted to see how my battery would hold out with deep idle on. Did not plug it in to charge entire day (I normally charge it while working).

This was on AOKP M3, Matr1x 16.0 cfs 200/1000. WiFi on in the morning when I woke up and checked some stuffs before heading to work. No WiFi at work entire day, then WiFi on again when I got home as shown in the screenshots.

aokpm3matrix16cfsa.png

aokpm3matrix16cfsb.png

stellar

Dec 12, 2011
Not everyone uses their phones the same way you do, while I do agree that people who just let their phone idle just for the purpose of getting amazing screenshots doesn't accurately portray real world battery usage, it still doesn't mean that we all use our phones the same way you do, for example I have school during the day, I can't be using it constantly so of course I'll be getting better battery life than "power users" but then again this is MY REAL LIFE USAGE so I'm not just letting it idle on purpose, so please don't put everyone that gets good battery life on the "OH MYY GAWDZZ" boat. Also I do actually use my phone, I get everything I need to be done on my phone while consistently getting 20+ hours with 4-1/2 hours screen on time.

Last edited:
Reactions: mlin

.OmEgA

May 16, 2011
Michigan
Not everyone uses their phones the same way you do, while I do agree that people who just let their phone idle just for the purpose of getting amazing screenshots doesn't accurately portray real world battery usage, it still doesn't mean that we all use our phones the same way you do, for example I have school during the day, I can't be using it constantly so of course I'll be getting better battery life than "power users" but then again this is MY REAL LIFE USAGE so I'm not just letting it idle on purpose, so please don't put everyone that gets good battery life on the "OH MYY GAWDZZ" boat. Also I do actually use my phone, I get everything I need to be done on my phone while consistently getting 20+ hours with 4-1/2 hours screen on time.

Well thank you for expressing your feelings about categorizing people. I said that because well that's what most people do on here, truth. The whole point of this is to see what people are getting that use their phones, power users or not. I just want to get a good look and filter out the people who sit on their phones, turn data off and all that. You're completely right that no one else might use their phone as much as I do but I'd rather get a good look at actual use rather than like you said, looking to get that amazing screenshot.

Sent from my Nexus S 4G using xda premium

stellar

Dec 12, 2011
I understand what you were trying to get at. Its just not everyone is using their phone like you do so REAL LIFE usage will vary greatly depending on the user.

jark99

Sep 17, 2010
This thread makes sense! On with the reak world battery pics!

Sent from my Nexus S using xda premium

deetailed

Aug 6, 2011
But this is my real life usage, I'm just not into heavy gaming :p Would've had around 5% more if I didn't get a random reboot at around 75% mark.

Screenshot_2012-02-26-14-38-27.png
Screenshot_2012-02-26-14-38-18.png

Activities include: email & whatsapp sync, around 10 mins phonecalls & 20 texts, reading ebook, browsing web & market, playing light game.

What makes a difference is good signal reception (all green/not using 3G unless there's no wifi and I need to download a file) and constant access to wifi (working from home, didn't need to go anywhere the last two days). Setting screen brightness on lowest unless I really need to turn it up helps too.

On heavier days when I'm out and about, using GPS navigation and mobile data, making more phonecalls & texts, taking pics, I typically get about half of that (20-24 hours).

sonicfreak360

Aug 19, 2010
But this is my real life usage, I'm just not into heavy gaming :p Would've had around 5% more if I didn't get a random reboot at around 75% mark.

Screenshot_2012-02-26-14-38-27.png
Screenshot_2012-02-26-14-38-18.png

Activities include: email & whatsapp sync, around 10 mins phonecalls & 20 texts, reading ebook, browsing web & market, playing light game.

What makes a difference is good signal reception (all green/not using 3G unless there's no wifi and I need to download a file) and constant access to wifi (working from home, didn't need to go anywhere the last two days). Setting screen brightness on lowest unless I really need to turn it up helps too.

On heavier days when I'm out and about, using GPS navigation and mobile data, making more phonecalls & texts, taking pics, I typically get about half of that (20-24 hours).
What phone, and what battery capacity? :O

Sent from my R800x using Tapatalk

ziociccio

Jan 20, 2008
Rom : ics 4.0.4 porting
kernel: steve garon, 1100mhz,default voltage
governor : smartassv2
scheduler : noop

Attachments

• Screenshot_2012-02-25-09-26-46.jpg
    Screenshot_2012-02-25-09-26-46.jpg
    26.2 KB · Views: 332

lolokman

Aug 1, 2010
i9023, kangy13 + matrix 16.0
smartassv2, 200-1000mhz
freq arm int
1000 1175 1000
800 1100 975
400 1000 975
200 850 950
3hD4U.png

dMKV6.png

aLNG

Jul 2, 2011
Munich
From cm9 v3.4 + Matr1x v17
549781d4-30c7-056c.jpg

549781d4-30e1-724d.jpg

549781d4-30f5-9db4.jpg

Bugless beast + Matr1x v16.5
549781d4-3170-2c5f.jpg

549781d4-319e-3a54.jpg

549781d4-31b2-e561.jpg

Bugless beast + speedy7
549781d4-31f5-8554.jpg

549781d4-3204-06a8.jpg

549781d4-3215-6645.jpg

Now still testing irtehun + matr1x, hope to see 8h screen on time. Adios

Sent from my Nexus S using XDA App

lolokman

Aug 1, 2010
I am now testing another uv/uc setting.
24 hours on battery and screen on time is 2hr30min. Still 50% battery left.
liveoc 105%, 210-840mhz, smartassv2
freq arm int
840 1075 950
420 950 950
210 850 925

jerusry

Feb 2, 2012
San Diego
VhGomez LotaR1 Matr1x kernel v17. 200/1000 this was heavy use. Playing games, doing studying, reading,texts calls, xda all kinda of stuff. Downloaded like 350mb today....

Enjoy
46b32794-214a-eb14.jpg
46b32794-2153-783d.jpg
46b32794-215b-5d84.jpg

simms22

Recognized Contributor - R.I.P
Jun 4, 2009
BROOKLYN!
www.androidcommunity.com
TRinity T144-honeybadgerb kernel and a cm9 kang, 3+ hours screen on time, extremely heavy use, 1 hour of benching at 1440mhz/1440mhz, the rest browser time at 1440/100. probably could have gotten another hour of screen on time but it was my time for bed ;)

10omago.jpg

iqy8ad.jpg

2ugdrsz.jpg

Ok_Kaleidoscope5109

Dec 29, 2009
well there's the thing about letting your phone sit forever, but also wifi. a lot of us sync a lot of stuff, so even when we sleep the phone will lose a clear 10% overnight. That's fine and all, but when you're on wifi, the stress on the phone is a lot less simply because 3G data takes a LOT more power....

jerusry

Feb 2, 2012
San Diego
Gomez Lota R1/ matr1x v17
200/1000 goin up to 400/1200
On demand gov
Deep idle on
I have every sync shutoff and manually sync when I want to check stuff. Always sync right when I wake up and several times during day.
Many disabled apps.

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    However, I think also that BRIGHTNESS has a create deal of influence dealing with battery drain. I mean just take a look at the battery percentages. Surely everyone getting >5 hour on-screen time have their brightness at dim.
    Yup. In a well-lit room, dim is all you need, and even in the tropical outdoors I rarely need more than 50%. I also use Screen Filter for use at night outdoors or in dimly-lit spaces, but the latter is more for viewing convenience rather than battery life.

---------- Post added at 12:50 PM ---------- Previous post was at 12:47 PM ----------

Before charge :

During charge

Time goes by on charger :

removed charger, look at the time:
    It still shows your graph increasing, and when you tap the graph it'll show the charging bar.
    This is the best I can get using Bugless Beast (2nd March) + Matrix 17.5 CFS.

Is this normal or what?
    Looking at the awake time, do you guys think that poor signal reception is one of the causes?

If so, what about the last hours in the screenshot?
    You see that my signal was good at that time, but my phone kept being woken up many times.
    It's weird because I had turned off auto sync and almost everything.

Sent from my Nexus S using xda premium
    Poor signal reception matters a lot. In Indonesia, even in large cities the 3G network coverage can be spotty. I always put my 2G toggle except when 3G data is needed. Even when using wifi, the battery consumption difference between stable all-green 2G is noticeable compared to unstable 3G. I think some people said it 2G and 3G affects call quality, but it's not anything noticeable to me.

Regarding wakeups it's hard to determine without knowing what setup and apps you have.
    Anyone knows what causes this problem?

As you can see I'm on 2G and the signal is good.
    But my phone wakes up so many times.
    I did a fresh install with no 3rd party apps installed.
    I didn't sign in to Google as well.

I've checked in running services, there are only:
    1. GoogleMessagingServices & NetworkLocationServices under Google services
    2. Android keyboard

I've turned off everything, from auto sync, backup to NFC.

I've also tried all radios available for i9023, but the results are the same.

Sent from my Crespo using xda premium
    I'd be taking a look at beejive and whatsapp, make sure they are working properly. I've not used them so i can't guarantee anything, but i assume they should both be using push notifications - though maybe one isn't. Might also try turning off network location in the settings, all of them. Also might try logging out of google talk if you are currently logged in.

Note: Do all of these seperately and then test it out. For you this is a very obvious and timed event, so it'll be noticeable within 10 minutes if it is no longer happening.

Alternatively, do half of these at the same time. If the problem is still there, do the next half, and so on. Otherwise, work backwards to figure out exactly which one is the problem. There aren't many things to choose from here so this isn't particularly helpful, but it is definitely a great systematic way if you had lots of apps installed, for example.
    I did a fresh install without installing anything or signing in to Google, but yeah the stats is still pretty much the same.
    I suspect this has something to do with my carrier.
    Unfortunately I couldn't change my number since I use it for work and my family as well.

BetterBatteryStats shows beejive and whatsapp? I guess that's an old log?