Touch Pro LCD quality control?

Search This thread

fhsieh

Aug 15, 2008
What would you do if your Touch Pro LCD looked like this?

2q1c2gh.jpg

:eek:

First things first: the LCD is still fully functional, no broken pixels or the "shattered LCD" bug in TF3d. The "distortion" does not appear under all lighting conditions --- it's actually impossible to see in areas with high contrast lighting (ie: lots of bright and dark areas such as daylight or most rooms), but becomes quite visible in flat/even lighting (like a bathroom or narrow hallway).

The distortion shifts in response to relatively heavy pressure, but always returns to the same "shape" as seen in the picture.

I am using the included screen protector, but I have removed it to confirm it is a problem with the LCD and not the protector.

I'm tempted to say that this has happened suddenly, but given that I've been using my TPro in anything but flat/even lighting conditions, I can't say for sure; I only happened to spot it by chance today. And just to be clear, I haven't dropped the unit, gotten it wet, or anything drastic like that. It's an expensive gadget! (And all the more reason something like this bugs me :()

For reference, my unit is:
Model RAPH100
S/N HT833K...

graham.hughes

Jul 23, 2008
Have you been moving between warm and cold environments? I'm wondering if it's condensed moisture inside the cover. I'd keep it somewhere warm and dry overnight, see if it's different.

Farsquidge

Feb 5, 2006
Abu Dhabi
That my friend is a result of high pressure damage. Its actually between the Touch sensitive layer and the LCD screen.

It could have been caused at anytime but is usually a result of carrying in a pocket, tight trousers or sitting down and compressing the phone, especially in a car seat.

It's something that many suffer from on many brands of touch screen phones but never really notice until screen touch sensitivity becomes erratic in certain screen areas.

Difficult one to prove it was from supplier or damaged by user so only way to RMA it (if you want to) is if you have had it less than a week.

fhsieh

Aug 15, 2008
Have you been moving between warm and cold environments? I'm wondering if it's condensed moisture inside the cover. I'd keep it somewhere warm and dry overnight, see if it's different.

Nope, nothing out of the ordinary. I had thought about condensation too, but nothing seems to indicate that it would be the culprit.

That my friend is a result of high pressure damage. Its actually between the Touch sensitive layer and the LCD screen.

It could have been caused at anytime but is usually a result of carrying in a pocket, tight trousers or sitting down and compressing the phone, especially in a car seat.

It's something that many suffer from on many brands of touch screen phones but never really notice until screen touch sensitivity becomes erratic in certain screen areas.

Difficult one to prove it was from supplier or damaged by user so only way to RMA it (if you want to) is if you have had it less than a week.

I guess that's what I'm afraid of, although for the life of me I can't believe I would've put my TPro through high pressure damage. Sure I carry it in my pocket, but we're talking about loose-fitting jeans, and only the front pocket (I would never dream of pitting it in the back pocket).

Sadly I've had it for much longer than a week, so I suppose all I can do is hope that it doesn't get worse. :(

Thundarr The Barbarian

Sep 22, 2008
Boston

Nahh, know the most likely way of getting high pressure damage like that? Pushing too hard on the screen when applying the screen protector, trying to force all of the bubbles out. I've seen people use those little squeegees or a credit card or something, forcing down on the screen so hard and trying to move the bubbles to the outside... Usually it's dust under the screen protector that causes the bubbles, and a user on here gave me a tip to use double sided tape on the back of the screen protector where it's bubbling to remove the dirt/dust. Be careful when applying those, they can be a pain, but force won't help.

Thundarr The Barbarian

Sep 22, 2008
Boston
By the way, that's a kick ass picture, must be a nice camera or you're quite the photographer. Look closely at the distortion, not to try to make it seem worse but it looks really cool in the pic, I'm surprised you were able to catch that. Now, back to mourning... :(

fhsieh

Aug 15, 2008
Nahh, know the most likely way of getting high pressure damage like that? Pushing too hard on the screen when applying the screen protector, trying to force all of the bubbles out. I've seen people use those little squeegees or a credit card or something, forcing down on the screen so hard and trying to move the bubbles to the outside... Usually it's dust under the screen protector that causes the bubbles, and a user on here gave me a tip to use double sided tape on the back of the screen protector where it's bubbling to remove the dirt/dust. Be careful when applying those, they can be a pain, but force won't help.

Good point, although in my case I imagine it would have happened when I first got my TPro and applied the screen protector, and not a whole month later. :rolleyes:

By the way, that's a kick ass picture, must be a nice camera or you're quite the photographer. Look closely at the distortion, not to try to make it seem worse but it looks really cool in the pic, I'm surprised you were able to catch that. Now, back to mourning... :(

Both, though I wouldn't really call myself a pro photographer. :p But I do have a bit of an eye for detail, which is why this is bugging me.

Does anyone know specifically which component is causing the abberation? The LCD still seems to work just fine so I imagine it's just the touch-resistive layer, and if that's the case I might consider replacing it myself. I have no problems working with electronics -- the only real concern I have is breaking the VOID sticker. :rolleyes: But I'm in no hurry, I'm just trying to see what options there are.

fhsieh

Aug 15, 2008
Looks like this is happening to people with the Diamond too:
http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=428262

Thanks for the link. It might be good to keep user experiences together since the Diamond and Pro (for all intents and purposes) have the same screen.

Also, correct me if I'm wrong, but aren't the Diamond and Pro HTC's first devices to have flush-mounted displays (instead of recessed)? Is it maybe a problem that HTC just has a design flaw?

victoradjei

Nov 8, 2004
This oil patch problem was also seen in the O2 Atom. I returned mine and had a replacement. Many others returned theirs. t is highly likely a manufacturing deffect. The Atom was also a VGA screen :eek: May be linked to the technology in small screens. Just return your faulty units.

etenx500

Sep 19, 2007
Dont yas think that is the screen protector. Try to strip it off and have a look at the screen of the HTC itself again

fhsieh

Aug 15, 2008
Dont yas think that is the screen protector. Try to strip it off and have a look at the screen of the HTC itself again

First post ↓

I am using the included screen protector, but I have removed it to confirm it is a problem with the LCD and not the protector.

This oil patch problem was also seen in the O2 Atom. I returned mine and had a replacement. Many others returned theirs. t is highly likely a manufacturing deffect. The Atom was also a VGA screen :eek: May be linked to the technology in small screens. Just return your faulty units.

Did you return it via your reseller or directly through HTC? I've already had my TPro for well over a week so I can't return it to my reseller without a restocking fee (nevermind paying for international shipping), and I'm dubious as to how HTC America will handle a device imported from UK.

Last edited:

rb14

Nov 29, 2007
london
www.brom.me.uk
You sure it's not a manta ray wallpaper?

Sorry.

My other half had this on the Diamond. We sent it back under warranty and it got lost in the post. Some fool hadn't sent it registered. Thank goodness for insurance policies.

Farsquidge

Feb 5, 2006
Abu Dhabi
Nahh, know the most likely way of getting high pressure damage like that? Pushing too hard on the screen when applying the screen protector, trying to force all of the bubbles out.

I agree with the screen protector but don't discount the pocket problem out of hand!

How many cracked screens have you seen from applying a screen protector?
I've seen two screens cracked on different devices from been crushed in peoples pockets! ;)

Thundarr The Barbarian

Sep 22, 2008
Boston
Well, I think cracks most times are from a hard impact (walking into the corner of a table with the phone in your pocket, or maybe carrying a huge subwoofer for your new home theater system and letting it slide down so the corner hits your thigh right where your phone is)... I've done both of those. But something like we're seeing here is not from a single impact, but from constant pressure for a certain length of time. That's why I discount the pocket theory in my mind, I don't think a single impact could do this, but a constant pressure sure as hell could. Either way, he said it just showed up a month after first use, so I don't know if it could be from the screen protector.

Farsquidge

Feb 5, 2006
Abu Dhabi
Well, I think cracks most times are from a hard impact (walking into the corner of a table with the phone in your pocket, or maybe carrying a huge subwoofer for your new home theater system and letting it slide down so the corner hits your thigh right where your phone is)... I've done both of those. But something like we're seeing here is not from a single impact, but from constant pressure for a certain length of time. That's why I discount the pocket theory in my mind, I don't think a single impact could do this, but a constant pressure sure as hell could. Either way, he said it just showed up a month after first use, so I don't know if it could be from the screen protector.

Yeah,

It comes down to the fact that it is a delicate piece of tech and should not be treated as a cigarette packet or similar really..

They need to bring out the 'Tough Book' version for Xtreme users! :eek: