[Q] weird problem sending MMS messages...anyone have problems with MMS being too big?

Search This thread

sleepyguy007

Nov 15, 2010
I'm not sure if this is a moto X specific thing, but I've not had this problem on my previous phones.

So I noticed when I send a MMS to a friend (i'm on t-mobile , he's also on t-mobile with an htc one though i'm doubing that matter) he says it will say the image is too big and can't be sent or something like that. or that it can't be received.

I google about this a bit, and i saw a little bit of talk of it being a bug in the phone, and that you can't send MMS when on wifi but it would work when not on wifi (not sure how that makes any sense either). I saw some other posts about how if you send a message attached via gmail THEN send an MMS then MMS would start working , which also makes no sense to me as that seems so unrelated.

So previous to this phone i had a droid razr m (was on verizon before and even unlocked it for t-mobile for a bit) and i remember on that phone, when i sent an mms, sometimes the phone would say somethign like "this image will be resized before sending". the moto X never says that so is that a bug in the moto x? since i know that is an MMS size limit, but this phone never seems to prompt to resize.

anyway has anyone else had this issue?

poland153

Dec 11, 2013
I'm not sure if this is a moto X specific thing, but I've not had this problem on my previous phones.

So I noticed when I send a MMS to a friend (i'm on t-mobile , he's also on t-mobile with an htc one though i'm doubing that matter) he says it will say the image is too big and can't be sent or something like that. or that it can't be received.

I google about this a bit, and i saw a little bit of talk of it being a bug in the phone, and that you can't send MMS when on wifi but it would work when not on wifi (not sure how that makes any sense either). I saw some other posts about how if you send a message attached via gmail THEN send an MMS then MMS would start working , which also makes no sense to me as that seems so unrelated.

So previous to this phone i had a droid razr m (was on verizon before and even unlocked it for t-mobile for a bit) and i remember on that phone, when i sent an mms, sometimes the phone would say somethign like "this image will be resized before sending". the moto X never says that so is that a bug in the moto x? since i know that is an MMS size limit, but this phone never seems to prompt to resize.

anyway has anyone else had this issue?

YES, I have the same issue as well! Finally I found someone else that has the same problem as me haha.
When I first got my Moto X it worked just fine but recently I tried sending pictures to friends who also have T-Mobile and they all say that they can't see the picture because it says it is "too big", so along the same lines as the problem that you're having.

I going to call T-Mobile tomorrow and see if its maybe something on their side because when I check the details of the picture/message I sent, the size of the picture is under 1000KB (1000KB = 1MB which is the limit for sending MMS through T-Mobile, anything over 1MB gets stopped on their network).

poland153

Dec 11, 2013
Quick update:

I called T-Mobile an a representative told me that there were two ways of sending an MMS, specifically a picture, with the Moto X:
1. Stock Messaging App > Thread > Attach(Paper Clip icon) > Pictures. Then you select a picture from your gallery
2. Stock Messaging App > Thread > Attach(Paper Clip icon) > Capture Picture.

With the representative on the line, we tried both ways and figured out that option 1. works while 2. does not.

The conclusion that we came to is that if you capture a picture immediately, then it takes a full size picture and DOES NOT re-size it for MMS at all. HOWEVER, if you take a picture beforehand and then add it to a message from the gallery, it DOES re-size it.

I plan to call Motorola tomorrow and tell them about this issue so that hopefully they can either send out a fix or add it to an overall OTA update.

Hopefully I can contribute something to this forum haha :laugh:

xpsychox

Dec 1, 2011
Marion
Quick update:

I called T-Mobile an a representative told me that there were two ways of sending an MMS, specifically a picture, with the Moto X:
1. Stock Messaging App > Thread > Attach(Paper Clip icon) > Pictures. Then you select a picture from your gallery
2. Stock Messaging App > Thread > Attach(Paper Clip icon) > Capture Picture.

With the representative on the line, we tried both ways and figured out that option 1. works while 2. does not.

The conclusion that we came to is that if you capture a picture immediately, then it takes a full size picture and DOES NOT re-size it for MMS at all. HOWEVER, if you take a picture beforehand and then add it to a message from the gallery, it DOES re-size it.

I plan to call Motorola tomorrow and tell them about this issue so that hopefully they can either send out a fix or add it to an overall OTA update.

Hopefully I can contribute something to this forum haha :laugh:

If I may ask..what r u using to msg? Stock message app.. Or something else?

Slapped my Moto

Kusaiashi

Jun 30, 2013
Same Issue

If I may ask..what r u using to msg? Stock message app.. Or something else?

Slapped my Moto

Same issue here. I am using the stock messaging app. I am on Verizon and am having trouble sending to T-Mobile. Haven't tried to other Verizon phones yet. I tried it over hangouts and had no issues, but then again Hangouts is using wifi.. Please let me know if you guys figure this one out!

xpsychox

Dec 1, 2011
Marion
Same issue here. I am using the stock messaging app. I am on Verizon and am having trouble sending to T-Mobile. Haven't tried to other Verizon phones yet. I tried it over hangouts and had no issues, but then again Hangouts is using wifi.. Please let me know if you guys figure this one out!

I use handcent and don't have an issue.. I like the app 1000% better than stock...try it out... See if it ur phone or just the stock app.

Slapped my Moto

poland153

Dec 11, 2013
I use handcent and don't have an issue.. I like the app 1000% better than stock...try it out... See if it ur phone or just the stock app.

Slapped my Moto
Eh, I've tried that and GO sms app and multiple other ones back when I had a Samsung Mesmerize. Maybe that's why I grew favor to the stock AOSP app compared to the Samsung and other third party apps. O well.

Quick troubleshooting update: Ever since we got the update to Kit Kat and the introduction of using Hangouts to SMS, I've stayed with the stock app instead of Hangouts just because I like it better. However, I will switch to Hangouts just to see if I can send pictures successfully through that. Crossing my fingers this will work and will report back if anything improves :)

P.S. sorry for the long absence; I've been busy with school and haven't had time to post :p

poland153

Dec 11, 2013
Hey guys, I have come back baring good things.

So I've been using Hangouts for a couple of days and MMS and picture messaging works. I can send a picture to any T-Mobile number and they can download it and view it :D.

The only problem that I have experienced is that sometimes I get double-texts from a friend (but that can just be due to a faulty BlackBerry ;P).

Looks like Hangouts is the way to go for now :D

drago10029

Nov 19, 2008
Phazon Mines
Hey guys, I have come back baring good things.

So I've been using Hangouts for a couple of days and MMS and picture messaging works. I can send a picture to any T-Mobile number and they can download it and view it :D.

The only problem that I have experienced is that sometimes I get double-texts from a friend (but that can just be due to a faulty BlackBerry ;P).

Looks like Hangouts is the way to go for now :D

I've read the same issue in another thread. and the 2 fixes you mentioned came up:

1. people saying using hangouts fixes the issue
2. People saying attaching to MMS works and capturing a photo doesn't.

Mitalis

Jun 12, 2010
It's a bug with the Kit-Kat AOSP messaging apk. Other phones have this issue as well. I'm assuming that Google removed the picture compression code in an effort to get people to use Hangouts for SMS/MMS as Hangouts will compress down the pic w/o notifying you.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk

drago10029

Nov 19, 2008
Phazon Mines
It's a bug with the Kit-Kat AOSP messaging apk. Other phones have this issue as well. I'm assuming that Google removed the picture compression code in an effort to get people to use Hangouts for SMS/MMS as Hangouts will compress down the pic w/o notifying you.

same issue in Hangouts running the pre-installed and latest version. Also you need evidence to back that up if it's really a known bug and not a rumor.

poland153

Dec 11, 2013

If that is so, it would make sense and would make me mad at Google :(

---------- Post added at 09:55 PM ---------- Previous post was at 09:46 PM ----------

Just a quick update:

I've been using Hangouts for a quite a while now and have not had a problem since. I have nothing against Hangouts but I would like to have a dedicated MMS/SMS application because I don't really want Hangouts to be checking for messages ever so often.

I have unlimited MMS/SMS and no unlimited data anyways ;)

Last edited: