Square Up?

Search This thread

KinkyMunkey

Apr 12, 2009
maryland
Has anybody tried the square up Credit Card Reader on this tablet? SquareUp.com?

I can't get it to work, But the sound in my tablet is Screwed up anyway.

rflagg

Aug 14, 2009
Running vegan beta 3 here, unable to get square to work either. G tab recognizes the reader, but it just keeps asking to swipe the card again.

Has anybody tried the square up Credit Card Reader on this tablet? SquareUp.com?

I can't get it to work, But the sound in my tablet is Screwed up anyway.

rflagg

Aug 14, 2009
Just an update to anyone curious, I hooked up headphones while running the square app on my phone, and get no audio - doing the same on the g tablet, I hear audio pops constantly. If we can't get square to work on this, we'll be exchanging it for a galaxy tab (which is really too bad, otherwise we love the g tablet!)
-m.

Sent from my SGH-T959 using XDA App

slingblade

Nov 12, 2010
It doesn't work for me either, though I'm not really surprised. The kernels we're using on these tablets aren't exactly optimized for the hardware.

You shouldn't have any issues with the Galaxy tablet. Square works great with my Samsung Fascinate.

KinkyMunkey

Apr 12, 2009
maryland
Square is a CreditCard reader that plugs into the headphone jack. It's basically the end of checks! for example - if you are selling something on craigs list you can take a credit card as payment, instead of taking a check that could bounce.

If your kids are running a lemon-aid stand, they could take credit cards! no monthly fees, no start up costs - just 2.8% + 15cents for swiped cards

It's really pretty amazing considering a new credit card machine would normally costs thousands of dollars :eek:

Reactions: insight3fl

rflagg

Aug 14, 2009
Well, since time is running out I think we'll switch to the Galaxy Tab. And yeah, I'm running a Vibrant Galaxy S, and my partner has an Epic - but it's just more convenient to have our customers signing on something bigger than our phones :)

Yeah, if you have any need for it, Square is great. The card reader just uses audio, so it can (technically) work on anything with a 3.5mm jack, it doesn't even give me access to the credit card information after I've swiped the card (protecting the purchaser). It emails you a receipt if you'd like, which contains a google map of where you made the purchase at.

I hope to be back with another Viewsonic G Tablet at some time though, great piece of hardware, and hands down the best early android tab out there, and viewsonic seems really dedicated to it as well. Despite me having Samsung, they're not the best in keeping up with Android OS updates.

-m.

arentol

Mar 25, 2011
I am trying to load the Square up app on TNT lite but it won't show up in the market. Any idea how I need my device set up to make it appear?

evilpotatoguy

Oct 10, 2009
I forget the technical explanation for it, but someone on the Square forums explained it while the forums existed (they've since moved or disappeared, I have no idea).

Don't quote me on this, but it seems to be a hardware problem. The Square reader is compatible with phones/devices that have a certain number of conductor rings on a headphone jack (4?), as most commonly audio devices that use the same port have less rings.

I guess the extra ring enables Square to interface properly with their reader, so if the device/phone doesn't have the 4 rings, you'll encounter problems. Their website FAQ under "Is my device supported with Square?" (can't post outside links, sorry) hints at it being hardware compatibility, so those with incompatible hardware will have to either wait till they release an updated reader or some other method.

acomiskey

Mar 13, 2008
It needs the mic input in the headphone jack...thats where the input comes from.

Sent from my DROIDX using XDA App

Adroidpimp

Apr 18, 2011
Greatest Snow on Earth
Square Up

Square up works on my Motorola Xoom. Its pretty cool bought from Apple store. Paid 9.95. In side the box was a 10.00 gift card. I've used it twice all ready and it's great. they do the Pay-pal thing with making 2 deposits in to your checking account. The app is in the app store got it last night. :cool:

Halcyon_Epoch

Apr 3, 2011
Findlay, OH
Mine works on my Droid X. Hadn't tried on my Gtab, probably will need it tonight though. I had trouble even getting the app until I switched to VeganGinger.

Will post later if it works or not.

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    Square is a CreditCard reader that plugs into the headphone jack. It's basically the end of checks! for example - if you are selling something on craigs list you can take a credit card as payment, instead of taking a check that could bounce.

If your kids are running a lemon-aid stand, they could take credit cards! no monthly fees, no start up costs - just 2.8% + 15cents for swiped cards

It's really pretty amazing considering a new credit card machine would normally costs thousands of dollars :eek: