Search This thread

Entropy512

Senior Recognized Developer
Aug 31, 2007
Owego, NY
We would've been here 2-3 weeks ago if xplod hadn't hardbricked. Improperly ported recoveries FTL. (As I understand it, he tested one of the AOSP firmwares based on a repacked leak kernel, and that kernel had a recovery with serious issues including a good chance of hardbricking if you flash something else.)

hwaccel is working, gps is a *****. Right now one of the main reasons I bought this device was because it is dual-constellation GPS+GLONASS, so that's higher on my list than pen at the moment. There's still a lot of work to be done, but it's looking promising.

I probably won't release anything until xplod gets his device back and can review and test my work. And again, to make it clear - this is almost entirely xplodwild's work.

Sent from my GT-P7510 using Tapatalk 2

DJsCrIBbLe

Feb 22, 2012
Good to hear. I have used your work on my old infuse and on my girls sgs2 now the note :).

Sent from my GT-N7000 using Tapatalk 2

eroracing

Nov 24, 2007
I also loved your work on the infuse.... I think this is awesome how these devs are coming together to bring sweetness to our devices! Big thumbs up guys!!

Sent from my GT-N7000 using xda premium

Reactions: mfractal

androidindian

Nov 16, 2010
New Delhi
We would've been here 2-3 weeks ago if xplod hadn't hardbricked. Improperly ported recoveries FTL. (As I understand it, he tested one of the AOSP firmwares based on a repacked leak kernel, and that kernel had a recovery with serious issues including a good chance of hardbricking if you flash something else.)

hwaccel is working, gps is a *****. Right now one of the main reasons I bought this device was because it is dual-constellation GPS+GLONASS, so that's higher on my list than pen at the moment. There's still a lot of work to be done, but it's looking promising.

I probably won't release anything until xplod gets his device back and can review and test my work. And again, to make it clear - this is almost entirely xplodwild's work.

Sent from my GT-P7510 using Tapatalk 2

Thank you for the detailed updates bro

Yes since xplod flashed aosp with lp1 repack recovery and flashed cm9 he built based on 2.x ... that's where it got bricked

But if the recovery has issues... we can easily go back to gb by flashing stock via Odin... then it becomes normal isn't it? Trying to make sense of it all

Thanks a lot bro !

Entropy512

Aug 31, 2007
Owego, NY
I've had no problem nandroiding back and forth, although I haven't tested it too much yet. I do know I can nandroid back to what (if I recall correctly) is CheckROM + CF-Root. (I honestly spent maybe ten minutes before deciding I wanted CM9...)

I think the problem was that whatever repack recovery he was using was bad. We just had that happen over in I777-land - a whole bunch of people hardbricked last week during fairly normal flashing operations after months of almost no hardbricks (and those that did hardbrick did something utterly stupid), the common theme was they were all flashing from a particular repacked leak kernel. Not that repacks are fundamentally dangerous - CF-Root proves that repacks can be OK - but some repackers screw up and don't check their work.

androidindian

Nov 16, 2010
New Delhi
I've had no problem nandroiding back and forth, although I haven't tested it too much yet. I do know I can nandroid back to what (if I recall correctly) is CheckROM + CF-Root. (I honestly spent maybe ten minutes before deciding I wanted CM9...)

I think the problem was that whatever repack recovery he was using was bad. We just had that happen over in I777-land - a whole bunch of people hardbricked last week during fairly normal flashing operations after months of almost no hardbricks (and those that did hardbrick did something utterly stupid), the common theme was they were all flashing from a particular repacked leak kernel. Not that repacks are fundamentally dangerous - CF-Root proves that repacks can be OK - but some repackers screw up and don't check their work.

Thanks for the insight bro
I guess that is why it has been highly recommend to use Odin stock to go back to gb from repack based roms right now...
And then I would format and wipe everything to make sure all is working smoothly

So yes all these dirty things hopefully going to be ended soon after your and xplods awesome works !! Excited for the times to come

Thanks bro. And updated the op. If you need me to add anything please do let me know :)

DJsCrIBbLe

Feb 22, 2012
Odin isn't recommended to go back to gb where have you been? Using redpill recovery is the recommended method actually. It handles nandroids better than the cwm used in the repackaged kernals for ics...

androidindian

Nov 16, 2010
New Delhi
Odin isn't recommended to go back to gb where have you been? Using redpill recovery is the recommended method actually. It handles nandroids better than the cwm used in the repackaged kernals for ics...

I like doing a super clean install dude. PC Odin back to stock gb firmware works great too :)

Last edited:

Entropy512

Aug 31, 2007
Owego, NY
I've always found CWM to be more reliable in terms of nandroids than any other recovery. The most frequent thing to break in alternative recoveries is nandroid restore for whatever reason.

Properly repacked kernels with CWM do fine - CF-Root with 5.0.2.7 has been no problem for me on Gingerbread, and 5.5.0.4 has been working great on CM9.

Currently:
Video hwaccel - working
GPS - Working, although GLONASS is either not being used or just reporting as not locked even though it is. Samsung's sat status interface in ICS is mangled, I need to bring gpswrapper over to this device to see what the deal is.
Stylus - Working with apps like Quill that support the standard Android 4.0 stylus API. (Haven't really tested anything else, but I know S-Pen API apps will not work and it's going to stay that way.)
Camera - untested, probably not working, I tried to implement Torch and it did not play well

DJsCrIBbLe

Feb 22, 2012
I have never had issues with cwm and frankly never heard of redpill until I tried to restore a ics nandroid on aosp using lp1 repackaged kernal and it ****ed the system and soft bricked my note. Only way back to salvation was redpill.

And by far the best method for going back and forth from gb to ics currently is redpill. Not that Odin isn't an option. Just what I have gathered from using ics since the first leak ...

androidindian

Nov 16, 2010
New Delhi
I've always found CWM to be more reliable in terms of nandroids than any other recovery. The most frequent thing to break in alternative recoveries is nandroid restore for whatever reason.

Properly repacked kernels with CWM do fine - CF-Root with 5.0.2.7 has been no problem for me on Gingerbread, and 5.5.0.4 has been working great on CM9.

Currently:
Video hwaccel - working
GPS - Working, although GLONASS is either not being used or just reporting as not locked even though it is. Samsung's sat status interface in ICS is mangled, I need to bring gpswrapper over to this device to see what the deal is.
Stylus - Working with apps like Quill that support the standard Android 4.0 stylus API. (Haven't really tested anything else, but I know S-Pen API apps will not work and it's going to stay that way.)
Camera - untested, probably not working, I tried to implement Torch and it did not play well

Wow thank you for the incredible progress bro and for the detailed updates!!

ssss69

Feb 12, 2012
Entropy youre awesome!!!

But do you know whats happening with leaked ICS kernels and cwm? Bwcause it seems that it isnt working as it should

Entropy512

Aug 31, 2007
Owego, NY
Entropy youre awesome!!!

But do you know whats happening with leaked ICS kernels and cwm? Bwcause it seems that it isnt working as it should

No clue... I think the one xplod hardbricked with got pulled due to hardbricks. Chainfire's repacks seem OK from what I've heard.

Probably whoever repacked the kernel screwed up for those where CWM doesn't work right.

Reactions: ssss69

chasmodo

Dec 28, 2011
Novi Sad
No clue... I think the one xplod hardbricked with got pulled due to hardbricks. Chainfire's repacks seem OK from what I've heard.

Probably whoever repacked the kernel screwed up for those where CWM doesn't work right.

ICS CWMR is wonky for everyone, main issue being its restore function (doesn't restore backups properly or not at all).

chasmodo

Dec 28, 2011
Novi Sad
Entropy, is it difficult to inject CWM Recovery into a kernel? I'm asking this because we have a new ICS kernel (ZCLP6) but it has no Recovery at all.

DJsCrIBbLe

Feb 22, 2012
Entropy, is it difficult to inject CWM Recovery into a kernel? I'm asking this because we have a new ICS kernel (ZCLP6) but it has no Recovery at all.

Entropy has a kernal guide in the i777 forum and there is also one here in the note general or dev section by a guy. And they talk about adding root and cwm to lp6...

chasmodo

Dec 28, 2011
Novi Sad
I apologize, I wasn't clear enough in my previous post. ZCLP6 mentioned is already rooted, but has no Recovery.

DJsCrIBbLe

Feb 22, 2012
I know its rooted just saying they are discussing repacking with both root and cwm :p

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    XpLoDWilD's PopAds Kernel for Galaxy Note

Updated 30.4.12
    Dev XplodWild got his note back just a few minutes back, expect CM9 experimental builds soon ..
    also, awesome custom open source kernel for note goodness !!!
    xplodwild twitter update: https://twitter.com/#!/xplodwild

Updated 25.4.12
    Xplodwild is receiving his galaxy note this weekend, and will resume dev for the kernel and CM9 soon!

Updated 22.4.12
    Team Hacksung Progress : Xplodwild & Entropy
    As per Entropy:

Video hwaccel - working

Updated 21.4.12
    stage 1 complete.
    stage 2 complete - device ordered. project is ON!!
    stage 3 complete - device has arrived already! Dev XplodWild is beginning with his kernel project on the device.

*** News - As xplodwild is waiting for his device to come back after repair... the amazing entropy is progressing with the kernel project based on xplodwilds work ... please read the last few pages of the thread for detailed updates ! ;)

Dear Friends,

I was in touch with my dear friend developer @xplodwild who is an integral dev member at TeamHacksung who are developing CM9 for the Galaxy series.

Xplodwild has been developing an open source kernel for the galaxy s2, and he would like to develop an open source kernel for the Galaxy Note as well now. Since the hardware is pretty similar except for certain changes, this can be achieveable quite fast.

So, what are the benefits of an open source kernel for the Galaxy Note?

- Up-to-date forever kernel : Up-to-date forever kernel : The Kernel shall remain up to date forever, even after samsung or google come out with android 5.0+, and even when kernel will reach version 3.4.0

There is no need to wait for wait or beg samsung to release their sources. After all android and our community is all about sharing and developing with each other.

- Community supported : The project will be open source and community supported, so we can take this is another level really.

- The advantage of having "Updated drivers" - Once we have open source updated kernels and drivers, the developers can continuously work on new roms, ports and developments. and Don't have to wait for ics or other leaks from the company itself. Usually the ports don't have something or the other working (like camera, usb etc.) because the kernel sources or drivers are not available. Once we have this project running soon, we will never see an issue with future android builds or ports etc.

- Ability to do Mods

- Maybe samsung will never release sources or will release very late for each release. We don't need to be dependent on them

How to make this project Happen? Its pretty simple, we all are making it happen

I would like to Thank "PopAds" and the community for supporting and making this happen. We have in a record time (less than 24 hours) collected enough to buy a note for the development, and now we head towards the 2nd stage.
    Thank you!!

How much time this will take to develop?
    Since, SGS2 and Note are similar so it should take some days to have it running, then it'll follow the same progress as GS2.
    Check out xplodwild's sgs2 thread here: http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?p=23462307 , you can see how he is making significant progress everyday and its coming to stable use very soon! :)

The open source kernels can be used on AOSP / Samsung Roms (with slight mods) / and CM9 based roms, for Android 4.0 +

Lets create our own community based, community driven samsung open source development program.
    Steps : Pending - In progress - Done

• Grab enough money to get the device
    • Order the device
    • Waiting for the device to be shipped <== It arrived already but I'll get my hands on it only on Saturday.
    • Start my kernel on the device

Thanks to tomksoft/PopAds.net and all the donation of the people in this thread, the device is paid :)

What works on the Galaxy S II version of the Kernel :
    • Linux kernel version 3.0.24
    • It boots (so all the low level stuff is done)
    • Touchscreen
    • Battery gauge

NOTE: As official SGS2 sources are available, I'll try to port them firsthand to the Note.

Keep in touch about it there: http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?p=23462307#post23462307

I'll tell you how it goes for the Note when I get the device :)
    any more updates on your findings mate? please do share if you have anything :) Thank you so much!

Well, I booted Criskelo on a custom kernel last night. Sources are pushed to my github (well, initramfs is still pushing), it's from the same tree as my I777 Touchwizz kernel.

It's a bit more difficult to install than most kernels - the leaks are using old EGL and gralloc libs that won't boot with opensource kernels. Good news is that the libs from I9100 official releases will work - the files in https://github.com/koush/proprietar.../ics/galaxys2-common/proprietary/graphics/lib need to be placed in /system/lib (This was also the main key to booting CM9 on the N7000 using an open source kernel.)

I'll try to post something flashable tonight or tomorrow night.
    Hi everyone,

Sorry for being silent on this thread for quite a few days. As said and said and said, my phone is bricked and I sent it to the store on Monday. It should have arrived near Friday, but I still haven't got any news from them. I'll be contacting them tomorrow.

I'm truly sorry this happened, believe me that if it didn't brick, the kernel would be running already and maui and I would've released some better version of CM9 for the Note already.

Last but not least, remember that eventhough you all gave me quite an amount of money, developing kernels and stuff for Android isn't my job. I have studies, life and other things that takes time and I can't be here answering posts on XDA every hour. For instance, I was at a 24h programming challenge from Friday morning up to Saturday evening. I only got to sleep a few hours, but the first thing I did this morning (beside having my brain exploding xD) is writing here.

Don't worry. That summarize it :)
    Got news from the store: They sent it to Samsung for a repair. Depending on when they sent it, I might get it by the end of the month or early next month.
    I'm thinking about buying a new one so I can work on it earlier, and then sell the other one when it comes back from repair. I'll keep you informed.

FYI, some good news:

I just received a Galaxy Note earlier today. When xplodWILD bricked, he was CLOSE. I'm talking - within hours.

I've got things booting and usable, however:
    GPS is broken - have some ideas for this
    hwaccel video is broken - I hope I can unbreak this with a bit of reviewing codeworkx's work on I9100 over the past few weeks
    camera untested
    ****-tons of other stuff untested
    I need to implement codeworkx's internal/external SD card swapping stuff
    Pen is completely unusable - the I9100 kernel has some nasty cruft that becomes unhappy when you try to build the pen driver so I had to disable it

xplod - i'll push everything I've got when I wake up tomorrow.

oh yeah the new inline kernel building stuff is a MAJOR PAIN IN THE ASS. :(

FYI, this was using the I9100 update4 sources, not the 3.4 project - that one is the long-term future but that'll be ****tons of work.