the LAG thread --__--

Search This thread

aidanbree

Apr 20, 2005
Hi,
Had the same issue as everyone else is experiencing and can confirm the instructions on the Jays buttery goodness thread work to resolve the issue. You need root though...

It's in the development forum

Sent from my Nexus 7 using xda app-developers app

Reactions: julien.me

lordlad

Jun 25, 2010
Singapore
I have not fully verified that this resolved the 'lag' issue but here's what i did...

I got a Nexus 7 16gb, running stock, rooted, running Franco Kernel R6.....

got about 2.6gb free...what i did is i turned off fsync(). screenshot as below

with fsync() on:

fsyncon.png

with fsync() off:

fsyncoff.png

Last edited:

ChrisM001

Nov 20, 2009
Turning off fsync which is done in Franco kernel or some other receipts for buttery smoothness is no real solution as it may cause data corruption. Device should be able to show acceptable IO performance without this tweak.

lordlad

Jun 25, 2010
Singapore
Turning off fsync which is done in Franco kernel or some other receipts for buttery smoothness is no real solution as it may cause data corruption. Device should be able to show acceptable IO performance without this tweak.

i agree but in this case, i think the 'problem' is not due to android OS itself (since my Galaxy Nexus yield no such problem) but more of a hardware 'defect'.....now i put quotes on the word defect because technically, the hardware in question, which is the flash storage in itself, is working and not really 'breaking down'. However granted that Asus uses cheaper flash memory with pretty bad IO speed, i think it's pretty much that there's not much we can do about it. I don't think RMA from google will help too. For now, all we can do is apply all these minor hacks and tweaks and hope that their component quality selection will be much better in future nexus devices.

Jay Aristide

Jun 27, 2011
Dyer, Tennessee
www.daede.com

While I agree it should be able to show decent I/o out of the box, I will say I've been turning off fsync and remounting /data noauto_da_alloc for years and never had a problem. If it works to alleviate the problem then it works to alleviate the problem. While I accept and acknowledge there is a hardware defect somewhere in the nand on a lot of n7s, if this fix works for someone and they're happy, you've no business discounting it.

hyperspacey

Sep 14, 2012
Glasgow
I'm thinking this is a launch-era hardware issue due to a dodgy memory controller or something (or Asus cutting corners to meet demand). If people would be so kind as to post their build date/ serial from the inside of the back plate I'd appreciate it, maybe we can narrow it down to a release hardware problem and know we could replace it with newer units.

Mine:
Build date 2012/05/26
14007-00530400
3DC

ExploreMN

Jun 23, 2007
I have to admit, I loved my N7 since day 1 and would sing to its glory, but the lag is getting a little annoying. For example, this thing simply cannot download an app in the background and install it without hanging the whole system. I mean seriously, my G1 was able to do that and the Fascinate I have laying around the house that's what, 3-4 years old now...no problem. I can't sync email while browsing the web, etc. So even though I have no other issues at all, I might be calling Asus today. This is simply getting too bad and there is zero evidence that Asus or Google is addressing the issue.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk 2

jetbruceli

May 8, 2011
Bamberg, Germany
Hey all, I have come to the conclusion that if I have a root and cwm my device becomes laggy after some heavy gaming or useage. I relocked and went unrooted and no lag appears at all.
Not sure if it's a particular root app doing it or what. I just got my second n7 and will test both and report back

Sent from either Galaxy S3 intl or Nexus 7
both on stock at the moment!!

---------- Post added at 03:50 PM ---------- Previous post was at 03:49 PM ----------

I have to admit, I loved my N7 since day 1 and would sing to its glory, but the lag is getting a little annoying. For example, this thing simply cannot download an app in the background and install it without hanging the whole system. I mean seriously, my G1 was able to do that and the Fascinate I have laying around the house that's what, 3-4 years old now...no problem. I can't sync email while browsing the web, etc. So even though I have no other issues at all, I might be calling Asus today. This is simply getting too bad and there is zero evidence that Asus or Google is addressing the issue.

Mine downloads and works fine. But even then, I don't usually do much when downloading.

Sent from either Galaxy S3 intl or Nexus 7
both on stock at the moment!!

JNeail

Aug 9, 2008
Solhull
So from what I can read here we're not yet clear on whats causing the slowdown/lag issue but with many thoughts linking this to free space?

My Nexus is:
- 16GB UK Version
- 1.8gb of free space (having deleted lots of stuff now now I've forced Google play/music to work in the UK)
- stock ROM
- not rooted
- has nothing odd loaded (twitter/facebook/onenote/a few other bits etc) and all from the official play.Google.com store except flash and BBC iPlayer (sourced from this forum)

Seems there may be other theories other than ram and io speed issues, but (and having called/mailed for support), both Google and Asus don't acknowledge these issues, yet the internet is rife with tails of woe like ours here!

So my question is - what are we able to do about it? Is here a way to en-mass register a complaint, surely there is a is patch that can fix this that Google can issue. I can't believe h/w is at fault here as the device isn't that unusual I.e same components in many other manufactured devices. Yet something is wrong, perhaps a petition, any takers?

Have spoken again to Asus UK Support today - and they have passed my issue to 2nd-line support but at this stage are still claiming to be unaware of any issues! Advise from support agent was to ensure I always ensure adequate free space, otherwise, just like a PC the device is likely to go slow....!! I did remind him of th 13.2GB I get to play with that means I only get around 10 before I run in to trouble - he didn't flinch!:crying:

sym_richard

Mar 18, 2011
Experienced unusable laggy after storage space dropped to under 5Gb. After did the backup, unlock, root, factory reset, back to lighting speed.

Hopefully Google or Asus can release the fix soon.

Last edited:

mmaestro

Dec 14, 2011
So I don't know how many of you have seen this, but Google just asked if they can see some of these Nexus 7s that are lagging. Obviously neither universal, nor something they've figured out the cause of, yet. Mine isn't lagging since the factory reset I did, but those of you who are suffering might want to hit this thread and offer up your devices if you don't mind them having your data. Apparently they'll ship a replacement ahead of time so you don't need to be without your tablet.

burnduck

May 23, 2010
Ealing, London
So I don't know how many of you have seen this, but Google just asked if they can see some of these Nexus 7s that are lagging. Obviously neither universal, nor something they've figured out the cause of, yet. Mine isn't lagging since the factory reset I did, but those of you who are suffering might want to hit this thread and offer up your devices if you don't mind them having your data. Apparently they'll ship a replacement ahead of time so you don't need to be without your tablet.

posted a reply there, really wish this is going to help them find the issue since I really like this little tablet :rolleyes:

MRsf27

Jul 15, 2012
I roots my n7 today and OC it to 1500mhz and absolutely amazing now... even gears and guns aint laggy and that's what was bothering me before... also before I rooted it I noticed I had less then 1 GB on the device and it was still running smooth, maybe I got a good device

Cor-master

Apr 16, 2011
Indianapolis IN
Mine was noticeably laggier when I installed nova 3 and it took it down below 5 but it was still faster than any other Android device I've owned and still very usable. And when I uninstalled nova 3 the lag went away

Sent from my locked down carrier phone piece of crap HTC Vivid using Tapatalk 2

slixzen

Jan 9, 2010
Posted a reply. Hopefully, my device can help them out. Not sure he will take the offer since I didn't originally post in that thread. But we will see. Would be great to see if they could resolve it.

ExploreMN

Jun 23, 2007
Wow, thought my lag was bad before. I took it to 1gb free space to test it. This thing is nearly unusable. Went back to 10gb free and, while better, its still much worse than before. Looks like it ANOTHER factory reset. That Kindle Fire HD is looking more and more tempting.

Reactions: androidkid311

androidkid311

Jun 5, 2011

Google getting serious!! I like that. Maybe they also want to stop this lag showing up in the 3G they will release. :). Thanks for the info!

Sent from my GT-I9100 using xda premium

sym_richard

Mar 18, 2011

It's a surprise Google didn't realize the lag in their internal test, unless Asus provided different hardware(like SSD) in different time...

ExploreMN

Jun 23, 2007
It's a surprise Google didn't realize the lag in their internal test, unless Asus provided different hardware(like SSD) in different time...

Or they just benchmarked stock units and never loaded up the storage. With a factory reset mine is fine....start to load stuff on it to use it and it becomes garbage. Funny it didn't don't his until now though....about 25 days past my last chance to return it...

czesiu

Apr 13, 2010
Warsaw
twitter.com
I assume they can't replicate the problem internally so it must not happen with majority of the tablets.
Are there any Nexus 7 owners w/o this problem? (yes, I know it's not the best place to ask ;) )

Reactions: MRsf27

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    Recipe for Buttery Goodness

What's fsync and zRam?

fsync handles i/o reads/writes to and from the filesystem, zRAM is swap (basically) enabled from the kernel.

Do the OTA update to 4.1.1 if you're stock, then...

_motley's linaro-optimized kernel thread

From that thread, you need:

a) the 1.1.1 kernel of your choice
    b) the 1.0.5b kernel with ramdisk (if you're already running a custom ROM with init.d support, you don't need this, nor do you need to create /system/etc/init.d in a future step)

You'll also need:

a) root
    b) cwm
    c) busybox (absolute must, use the JRummy installer from play store and install the latest)
    d) some type of root-enabled text editor (I use root explorer)
    e) a full featured cpu/sd management app (I use System Tuner)

BEYOND THIS POINT, THERE BE DRAGONS. I'm not responsible if you FUBAR your device, but if you follow my instructions to the letter, you won't

1) install cwm and root your tab (if you haven't already)

2) reboot into CWM, flash the 1.0.5b kernel with ramdisk (if you're on stock or a stock-based ROM without init.d support), then immediately flash the 1.1.1 kernel you chose (gpu overclocking is nice and all, but I haven't found a game that doesn't run perfectly with the stock GPU speed of 416MHz..Looks great on benchmarks, though)

3) reboot back into JB, fire up root explorer, remount /system rw, create a folder in /system/etc called init.d (permissions rwxr-xr-x), create a file in it called S90zRAMandSpeedTweaks (permissions rwxrwxrwx), and long-press to open it in a text editor

4) make it look like this:

Code:
    #/system/bin/sh

#remount /data for faster i/o
    mount -o remount,noauto_da_alloc /data /data

#disable fsync (controversial, I've been doing it for years with no real issues)
    echo 0 > /sys/class/misc/fsynccontrol/fsync_enabled

#set zRAM size (change the 512 to 1024 for a full 1GB of swap, I use 512 because I'm on an 8gb and space is precious)
    echo $((1024*1024*512)) >  /sys/block/zram0/disksize

#use busybox to create and activate zram0, if busybox is not in /system/xbin, modify accordingly
    /system/xbin/busybox mkswap /dev/block/zram0
    /system/xbin/busybox swapon /dev/block/zram0
    It's important to leave at least one trailing line in scripts. Just trust me, it's a linux thing.
    *NOTE* The above script does NOT check to see if it was successful, but if you copied it directly and installed busybox to /system/xbin then it will work. Once you reboot in a few minutes, you can check by using the command "busybox free" from a terminal emulator or adb shell

5) Save the file, delete the .bak now in that folder, and close root explorer.

6) Open System Tuner, tap on the SD option, change cache to 1024 and scheduler to deadline

7) Tap the Voltage option and hit -25 4 times and save the settings as voltage_table_uv

8) Tap the CPU option and tap Boot Settings. For CPU and SD, set the method to init.d

9) Close System Tuner and reboot your device.

10 Profit/consume butter

It seems like a lot, but it really only takes about 15 minutes if you're a complete rooting n00b, and the end result is a buttery-smooth multitasking powerhouse (that blows iOS *away*). The 100mV undervolt also greatly extends battery life. I haven't had ANY issues at -100mV, but if you do, just increase it by hitting +25 on the voltage tab of System Tuner until you have something that works for you (in fact, you might want to start at -25mV and slowly grow it to -100mV, playing games and checking for instablity along the way)

It's also worth mentioning that if you're currently completely stock, you will need to unlock your bootloader to root and install CWM, and unlocking the bootloader wipes your device (no way around it, unfortunately. Hook your N7 up to your computer and backup the entire contents of /storage/sdcard0 to make restoring your data as painless as possible)

Hope this helps :)
    Looks good! How much free space on your device? And, could you please

mount | grep /data

We know that the discard option has been added, but has it been implemented?

Edit: About my sig. If my sig size overrides my helpfulness, BY ALL MEANS block me *rolls eyes until they come out of socket*

(This is an off-topic post, and the only one I've ever created on XDA, so feel free to skip past)

You come off as very mean spirited, hostile, and pretty douchey, to be honest.

Firstly, your sig is extremely unnecessary and doesn't do much to help the idea that XDA is a great environment to come to. Whereas other members use their sig to explain their device setups in order to further the community, you use yours as a divisive tool that discourages people from taking part in it.

Secondly, I have both an iMac and a Macbook Pro. They are both great computers in and of themselves, albeit they were a bit overpriced. I'm an audio engineer that works with multiple professional audio recording/production applications, and most all of them run better on OS X than on their Windows counterparts. I would argue that has more to do with the developers of those applications putting more work into making native OS X applications and then porting them after the fact to Windows, rather than OS X being a better platform altogether. But no matter what the reason is, quite simply I need to work on the platform that is going to give me the least amount of headaches, problems, and concerns when dealing with clients, clients who are giving me money to provide a service for them. And for me, the industry I work in, the industry standard is Apple computers.

Are you going to tell me that I don't belong here, and that you are so much better than me that I don't deserve your or anybody else's help? I've been on board with Android since the G1, in fact I bought it the day it was available. I love the platform. I also love the work that I'm involved with, and love the fact that I have the luxury of not fighting with my computers when I want to get work done.

Some of us need to use Apple products in our professional lives. Get over it, and quit being so elitist about it, please. Thank you.
    Not a single issue here... Google accomplished project butter in my opinion...

You may have an issue with the Tablet...
    So the new kernel source was just recently released, which reveals a lot of information about the issue.

First change:
    Code:
    mmc: set emmc vcore voltage to 3.0V

per EE's request, set eMMC core voltage to 3.0V.

*Shrug* I'm not sure what this does. From my very limited knowledge it seems like it maybe manually sets the voltage to 3.0V if the regulator fails to or vice-versa? I dunno. May be related to low I/O.

Second change:
    Code:
    mmc: core: new discard feature support at Samsung eMMC v4.41+.

Support discard feature if MID field in the CID register is 0x15, EXT.CSD[192]
    (device version) is 5 and Bit 0 in the EXT.CSD[64] is 1. Also removed REQ_SECURE flag
    check to avoid kernel hang.

This patch is released from samsung.

Here's the big one. Here's why the discard option caused hard lock ups for me and others who tried this on 4.1.1. Discard option didn't work on Samsung EMMC chips, which coincidentally, were the chips that were having the performance issues with low free space.

So that script or whatever someone posted to remount data with discard and to trigger discard? Yeah it doesn't look like it will actually do anything without a 4.1.2 kernel (unless your unaffected by the issue with a Hynix or Kingston chip instead of the Samsungs. In that case, adding discard will actually DECREASE performance based on the next change below)

Third Change:
    Code:
    mmc: card: Bypass discard for Hynix and Kingston

In order to change mount option,
    issuing discard request by chip to eliminate performance drop.

This causes this discard mount option to do nothing on Hynix and Kingston chips. The Kingston one is used for the 8GB chip and I would guess the Hynix is a 16GB chip that isn't as common than the Samsung chip, which explains why there were a few odd cases of people without this issue. It looks like there's a hardware issue with Samsung EMMC storage chips and the discard option is needed to prevent this problem from causing performance degradation. Using discard on the other chips interestingly enough causes performance to decrease.

(Side note: I very much doubt CM10 nightlies are using the new kernel source already. Probably 4.1.2 ROM with 4.1.1 kernel and ramdisk.)
    ^^^^

k I don't mean to be a **** but, if you're filling up the complete 16 GB's and noticing a huge drop is performance why are you filling it up completely then? wasn't this a huge issue BEFORE the tablet was release? weren't people complaining "oohhh its not enough space for me to do what I want to do with it, i wish it came with an SD card". Google wants to promote CLOUD storage. If you don't want to store **** on the cloud and yet still loading the thing up with 100 movies and a million apps than that's your damn problem. This isn't supposed to be a high performance machine where it can store that much garbage and perform like a ferrari for you. remember, google wants to promote cloud storage.

Good thought. I agree that Google wants to promote the use of Cloud storage. That's fine.

However, we purchased 16GB (in fact, 13GB user usable space only!) of storage space on the Nexus 7 and is it wrong that we want to use it all? It is like you paid some money to buy from Google 200GB of Cloud storage and then Google tells you that you can only use up to 180GB, otherwise your upload / download speed will be throttled????? Is this even logical?!?! Does it make sense? The answer is clearly no. There is a problem, and we are desperate to see a solution, or a workaround (no - factory reset is not a workaround).

All we are trying to find out is 1) whether the lag that we are seeing is indeed I/O related, 2) whether this is a hardware fault, and 3) whether there is a way to workaround this issue while hopefully Google is coming up with a software fix.

By the way, why would you say that people are storing "garbage" on the Nexus 7? A Gameloft game can easily chew up 2GB of storage space. Google Music isn't available in Australia, so Cloud storage isn't available. 13GB isn't much when you have a few big games and a collection of music files, plus a number of "pinned" Google Movies. No one is talking about making the device runs faster. I guess most of us would not expect the Nexus 7 would perform dramatically poorer just because the local storage is filled up. A bit slower is OK, but not from 10MB/s to 0.2MB/s...