[Q] Bootloop out of nowhere?

Search This thread

Vassoom

Jun 18, 2014
Hello, all.

I have an Evo 4G that is rooted with MikG3.11, which has been an awesome and stable ROM for...2 full years now?

Anyway, I've never had any trouble, and I haven't installed or changed anything in weeks...but last night while I slept, gremlins invaded my phone and tampered with it. When I woke up (a lucky thing in itself since I use my phone for an alarm clock), my phone was hung at the android animation screen. I pulled the battery and rebooted, but it kept bootlooping...which has never happened before.

Here are the specs:

SUPERSONIC EVT2-3 SHIP S-OFF
HBOOT-2.10.0001
MICROP-041f
TOUCH PANEL-ATMELC03_16ac
RADIO-2.15.00.11.19
Oct 15 2010, 12:07:00

I can still get into Recovery, which is ClockWorkMod v2.6.0.1.

Here are the steps I've performed/tried so far:

• Performed a Nandroid backup from within CWM recovery
  • Successfully executed "mount USD storage" and pulled everything I could get access to from the device down to my Win7 PC
  • Wiped the Cache partition
  • Wiped the Dalvik Cache
  • Tried rebooting again after clearing the caches, but (as before) when it gets to the end of the boot animation, it loops rather than fully loading the ROM/presenting the unlock screen, and I have to pull the battery and start over

Unfortunately, that's about the extent of my expertise, as I'm pretty much a noob at this phone hackery business and was wondering if there's a recommended way to try to restore access to my phone without potentially losing some or all of my data. (I'm not 100% confident that the Nandroid backup is going to capture all of my contacts, calendar events, and misc app data. And it's been several months since I ran a Titanium backup from "within" the phone's OS.)

I do have adb access set up on my Win7 PC, but I didn't see anything there that was a clear "next move".

Is it possible to restore the boot or system image without touching the data? Or is a full wipe in my future?

I look forward to any advice from the experts...

- Vassoom

Magnum_Enforcer

Retired Forum Moderator
Jul 14, 2012
Birmingham, AL
This happens. You're probably just going to have to clean flash and start over. Before you do that, however, switch to a more reliable recovery (Amon_RA's, or preferably, smelkusMOD).

Agreed. While CWM is a great recovery for most Android devices, it's known to have issues on the EVO 4G. Do as Captain Throwback suggested and swap to a recovery that's Amon_Ra-based. The Smelkus recovery he's referring to is a great one and I used it on the various EVO's I once owned. It has a few extra features built in to it and you can't go wrong with it.

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    This happens. You're probably just going to have to clean flash and start over. Before you do that, however, switch to a more reliable recovery (Amon_RA's, or preferably, smelkusMOD).