Quadrant score 2234 with rooted stock FW I9000ZSJF7 [EDITED 10AUG 1714HKT new tool]

Search This thread

ykkfive

Inactive Recognized Developer
Jul 25, 2010
ykkfive.blogspot.com
tested for about a week without problems
no data2sd required (actually mod to sd is not needed), no more lag, smooth scroll/zoom in and out in default browser with a web page contains more than 170 images, much faster cache for browser, market and other apps retrieval and listing

if u guys r interested, pls let me know and i'll post it here later tonite (HKT). i'll ONLY tell u what i did and how to do that, but WONT show u a step by step guide, since a typo may brick ur phone, sorry about that. however, experienced linux users will know how. i think it's better for them to write scripts and run automatically for all users

and, hopefully, experts here can have better solutions to this dirty trick to speed up this laggy phone

EDIT: 8 aug 2250HKT

ok, here's how:
- create an empty file with dd (i chose -b 4096 -m 1)
- mount it to loopx and format it with ext2 (busybox)
- create mount points and create links, eg
mount -o rw,noatime,nodiratime /dev/loop0 /dbdata/dbdataimage
then mv files and folders to /dbdata/dbdatimage
so, instead of reading /dbdata/databases/com.1.2.3, it will be linked to /dbdata/dbdataimage/databases/com.1.2.3
- finally write a script to mount them on boot by replacing playlogos1

simply speaking, is to run on an ext2 file block in rfs, and that's all for the trick!!

WARNING:
- i did it for /cache, /dbdata and /data only
- empty files, folders, and sym links will be deleted by the system under /cache
- dont reboot the phone when u've temporarily moved /dbdata/databases to a slow partition like /data

personally, i moved /data/data and /data/dalvik-cache to /dbdata and moved browser and market cache files to /cache

PS E&OE
enjoy!

EDIT2:
no need to try ext3/4, they'll slow down ur phone, i've tried them already

EDIT3 09 aug 0033HKT:
it's not for the benchmark only, instead, it has very good effects on ur phone's io

for the loop device:
busybox mknod /dev/loop0 b 7 0
busybox losetup /dev/loop0 /dbdata/dbdata.img
busybox mkfs.ext2 /dev/loop0
then mount it

and, here's my mount output:

rootfs / rootfs ro 0 0
tmpfs /dev tmpfs rw,mode=755 0 0
devpts /dev/pts devpts rw,mode=600 0 0
proc /proc proc rw 0 0
sysfs /sys sysfs rw 0 0
/dev/block/stl6 /mnt/.lfs j4fs rw 0 0
tmpfs /sqlite_stmt_journals tmpfs rw,size=4096k 0 0
none /dev/cpuctl cgroup rw,cpu 0 0
/dev/block/stl9 /system rfs rw,vfat,llw,check=no,gid/uid/rwx,iocharset=utf8 0 0
/dev/block/mmcblk0p2 /data rfs rw,nosuid,nodev,noatime,nodiratime,vfat,llw,check=no,gid/uid/rwx,iocharset=utf8 0 0
/dev/block/stl10 /dbdata rfs rw,nosuid,nodev,noatime,nodiratime,vfat,llw,check=no,gid/uid/rwx,iocharset=utf8 0 0
/dev/block/stl11 /cache rfs rw,nosuid,nodev,noatime,nodiratime,vfat,llw,check=no,gid/uid/rwx,iocharset=utf8 0 0
/dev/block/stl3 /efs rfs rw,nosuid,nodev,vfat,llw,check=no,gid/uid/rwx,iocharset=utf8 0 0
/dev/loop0 /dbdata/dbdata1 ext2 rw,noatime,nodiratime,errors=continue 0 0
/dev/loop2 /cache/cache1 ext2 rw,noatime,nodiratime,errors=continue 0 0
/dev/loop2 /cache/market ext2 rw,noatime,nodiratime,errors=continue 0 0
/dev/loop2 /cache/browser ext2 rw,noatime,nodiratime,errors=continue 0 0
/dev/block//vold/179:1 /sdcard vfat rw,dirsync,nosuid,nodev,noexec,uid=1000,gid=1015,fmask=0102,dmask=0002,allow_utime=0020,codepage=cp437,iocharset=iso8859-1,shortname=mixed,utf8,errors=remount-ro 0 0
/dev/block//vold/179:9 /sdcard/sd vfat rw,dirsync,nosuid,nodev,noexec,uid=1000,gid=1015,fmask=0000,dmask=0000,allow_utime=0022,codepage=cp437,iocharset=iso8859-
1,shortname=mixed,utf8,errors=remount-ro 0 0

EDIT4 09 aug 0039HKT:
- no need to deal with /data
- the major thing is /dbdata/databases
- it wont have impact when u connect it to ur pc/kies since kies only deal with /sdcard and /sdcard/sd only, which both r out of my concern
- to see the improvement, simply do a dd and u'll see the difference

EDIT5 09 aug 2212HKT:
a simple tool added for phone test (windows only)
pls go to
http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=748596&page=38#373

EDIT6 10 aug 1714HKT:
new test tool (test4me v1.11) updated
test4me 1.11 updated, changes:
- will look for busybox under /system/bin/ also
- will look for playlogos1, if not found, will look for other mods

pls go to
http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=748596&page=38#373

PS for questions regarding other similar fixes, pls refer to the author. I cannot/will not comment on others job. Thx

http://a.imageshack.us/img32/7803/201008060404passedreboo.png

http://a.imageshack.us/img42/3750/device1r.png

Last edited:

SquidgyB

Oct 19, 2008
Newbury
tested for about a week without problems
no data2sd required (actually mod to sd is not needed), no more lag, smooth scroll/zoom in and out in default browser with a web page contains more than 170 images, much faster cache for browser, market and other apps retrieval and listing

if u guys r interested, pls let me know and i'll post it here later tonite (HKT). i'll ONLY tell u what i did and how to do that, but WONT show u a step by step guide, since a typo may brick ur phone, sorry about that. however, experienced linux users will know how

http://a.imageshack.us/img32/7803/201008060404passedreboo.png

http://a.imageshack.us/img42/3750/device1r.png

Yes, very interested :)

jodue

Dec 15, 2009
vienna
hm. curious what you did. you say "stock firmware" but from the pictures it looks like you use your own kernel?! more info plz ;)

RyanZA

Jan 21, 2006
JHB
2234?!

I'm guessing you succeeded in changing the whole phone over to EXT4 + other tweaks?

I'm interested. :D

SquidgyB

Oct 19, 2008
Newbury
I'm guessing you succeeded in changing the whole phone over to EXT4

I've been mulling this one over in my head for the last few weeks, but I don't have nearly enough technical knowledge to even start getting it sorted - I was worried about how Odin/recovery would treat the ext4, and whether it would be able to flash firmwares at all after doing so...

Anyhow, nice work OP, looking forward to the explanation :D

AXIS of Reality

Mar 15, 2010
Brisbane
Would love if you could post what was done to achieve this. After all, the whole point of XDA is to be a community where everyone can share and build off each other's achievements and discoveries with a legion of willing testers prepared to take the risk of bricking their phone. =)

Amazing work to get that score! Congrats, and looking forward to when this will be able to be developed into a released rom / kernel / method.

Top Liked Posts