S5 Update with Root

Search This thread

rsdntbplr

Aug 8, 2013
Hello.

I rooted my S5 when I first got it simply to use the volume boost mod. A week ago I decided to unroot so I can OTA update, ready for when major updates to the firmware on the phone are released. Anyway. An updated firmware became available so I tried to OTA update (not really expecting it to work) and got the "Modified firmware such and such" error come up. Obviously, rooting the S5 is different from the S3 due to the addition of Knox to the latest firmware, so I've got a few questions to ask.

Is there any way at the moment to reset Knox?
Does Knox stop you from being able to get OTA updates, even if you use TriangleAway to reset the flash counter?

Also. I checked today in Kies and it let me update my firmware but I didn't proceed with it because I'm worried about it bricking my device. I actually unrooted using SuperSU and checked the status of root afterwards using a Root Checker, which said I'm not rooted. Is it safe then to use Kies to install updates to the firmware instead of using OTA updates or will that brick my device?

gee2012

Recognized Contributor
Jul 13, 2010
Heerlen
Hello.

I rooted my S5 when I first got it simply to use the volume boost mod. A week ago I decided to unroot so I can OTA update, ready for when major updates to the firmware on the phone are released. Anyway. An updated firmware became available so I tried to OTA update (not really expecting it to work) and got the "Modified firmware such and such" error come up. Obviously, rooting the S5 is different from the S3 due to the addition of Knox to the latest firmware, so I've got a few questions to ask.

Is there any way at the moment to reset Knox?
Does Knox stop you from being able to get OTA updates, even if you use TriangleAway to reset the flash counter?

Also. I checked today in Kies and it let me update my firmware but I didn't proceed with it because I'm worried about it bricking my device. I actually unrooted using SuperSU and checked the status of root afterwards using a Root Checker, which said I'm not rooted. Is it safe then to use Kies to install updates to the firmware instead of using OTA updates or will that brick my device?

- Triangle Away doesn`t work with the S5 and neither us it possible to reset the KNOX flag
- Unroot with the Towelroot or superSU app (wich ever you have installed)
- Flash a stock rom (firmware)
- Data factory reset in recovery after the flash
- Done and now you can update with Kies/OTA.