Samsung Galaxy S5 USB 3.0 Not connecting

Search This thread

wannabeapilot

Nov 13, 2012
Hey guys, quick question for those of you with the s5, and the usb 3.0 cable.

I am trying to transfer files from my windows 7 pc. with the usb 3.0 cable.

USB 2.0 works just fine, I switch over to usb 3.0, and the phone immediately dissapears from my pc.

Switch back to 2.0, and it reappears.

Is this happening to anyone else?

calinormy

Jul 18, 2008
Maybe you have a faulty usb 3.0 cable. Try with a different usb 3.0 cable. If it's not the cable try on different computer. After that remains only one possibility: a faulty usb connector which means service. BTW you have usb 3.0 drivers installed on your w7?

Sent from my C6833 using XDA Premium 4 mobile app

Jul 17, 2012
Yeah i have a problem with the usb 3.0 too..

When i connect my phone via usb 2.0 it works fine but when i connect it via the usb 3,0 its still only shows up as a usb 2.0 device and the both only charge at 98ma :-/ brand new usb 3.0 cable. unistalled usb 3.0 drivers still no luck.

v2kai

Jun 11, 2012
When i connect my phone via usb 2.0 it works fine but when i connect it via the usb 3,0 its still only shows up as a usb 2.0 device and the both only charge at 98ma :-/ brand new usb 3.0 cable. unistalled usb 3.0 drivers still no luck.

I've got this issue as well....

except when I attempt it on my work PC with W7 x64 it works in USB2.0 and USB3.0 mode. At home on my W7 x64 build it shows up under my computer in USB2.0 mode but disappears when switching to USB3.0 mode....:confused:

tried reinstalling drivers and all that jazz and no luck.

tried two USB3.0 cables and neither work on my home rig. i'm stumped

Last edited:

mediumsteak

Nov 25, 2010
Toronto ON
Plug in another USB 3.0 device such as a memory stick into your computer to determine whether the issue originates from the phone/USB cable or your computer. From what you described we cannot identify the root cause!

Sent from my SM-G900W8 using Tapatalk

webrosc

Jul 18, 2010
I had this issue too, then found it was my motherboard being the issue, i turned xHCI to on instead of auto (in the BIOS) and now when i connect my S5 with USB 3.0 cable the option for that mode will show on the phone.

Auto should work but it didn't seem to allow the S5 to trigger it, maybe because the S5 defaults to USB 2.0 and then you say to it to use USB 3.0

I do notice when switching modes the phone will vasish from the computer and then after a moment or 3 show up again
http://www.tonymacx86.com/lion-desk...te-uefi-motherboards-xhci-mode-explained.html

charlie63

Dec 28, 2006
a) Click on “Start” and Right Click on “Computer” and select “Manage”.
b) Now select “Device Manager” and Right Click on the individual “USB controller drivers” and select “Uninstall”.
c) Restart the computer and check if the issue persists.

v2kai

Jun 11, 2012
thanks for the ideas, tried device manager uninstall and reboot. still no luck. I"m using the provided samsung usb 3.0 cable so no issues there. very frustrating I cant use my phone connection to it's full potential

chrcol

Jan 17, 2012
UK
OnePlus 6
OnePlus 8 Pro
thanks for the ideas, tried device manager uninstall and reboot. still no luck. I"m using the provided samsung usb 3.0 cable so no issues there. very frustrating I cant use my phone connection to it's full potential

Old thread I know but here is what seems is the answer.

It seems when first connecting the usb it always defaults to usb2, but then can goto the usb settings on the phone afterwards and switch to media usb3 mode. I have not found a way to make it default to usb3 mode.

v2kai

Jun 11, 2012

It seems when first connecting the usb it always defaults to usb2, but then can goto the usb settings on the phone afterwards and switch to media usb3 mode. I have not found a way to make it default to usb3 mode.

Appreciate the post but the issue wasnt actually switching into usb3 mode. That I knew how to do, it was that when I do switch the phone to USB3 mode it disappears from my file explorer and I cannot access the phone storage media unless I switch back to USB2 and then it pops up again in file explorer. I still havent found a solution and have come to the conclusion it is a hardware issue likely tied to my motherboard and have just accepted it and used it in it's limited form

dglaboi

Aug 18, 2011
Paramaribo
I don't even see any option on my S5 to switch to USB3.....
Is this option device-specific?? I have the international version SM-G900H

Edit: never mind....the cable I had was a fake....
I tested my S5 with a cable from a USB 3.0 external hdd and it worked...

Last edited:

porkbelly423

Mar 26, 2015

This is the solution, thank you.

drac84

Nov 28, 2012
I don't even see any option on my S5 to switch to USB3.....
Is this option device-specific?? I have the international version SM-G900H

Edit: never mind....the cable I had was a fake....
I tested my S5 with a cable from a USB 3.0 external hdd and it worked...

So are you saying that if the cable is faulty (or in other words, USB 3.0 is not achievable with the current connection) that the USB 3.0 option simply does not appear on the phone? That may explain why I am also only seeing MTP or PTP with a 3.0 cable and hub :(

Manufacturingman

May 4, 2018
Reading these replies and I still don't have a solution.
I have a Lenovo P50 ThinkPad and I normally connect my S5 via USB 2.0, but I'm wanting to transfer about 20gb of files off my microSD card to my machine. When I connect with 2.0, I can't even get the entire folder to show in the navigator window.
I tried to connect to the 3.0 ports, which I use with my external HDD with no problems. I'm even using the same cable.
And yes, it's a legit 3.0 cable.
Still no solution...