Triple Boot WP7+SD+NativeSD EXT4 @ 1 SD with pictures

Search This thread

mengfei

Jan 20, 2010
Shenzen, China
Lets try to triple Boot our HD2's with WIN7 + SD + Native SD via Magldr, although I got mine working OK, i'm not entirely sure if this is viable to all. please see last part.

I assume you already have Magldr in your HD2 & its either running WP7 or Andy in NAND or already dual Boots.

If not flash WP7 first in NAND by trying to follow this, WP7 is always in NAND **Anything you have in NAND/ SD will be deleted including CWM**
http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?p=25781675#post25781675

after that is done the partitioning begins

Be very careful when using the minitool partition as you can accidentally format/ delete your Hard Disk Partition.

i'll be using a 16g card & after flashing WP7 it uses the SD Card as it's own storage using it's own format similar to a RAID setup making it like an Internal storage & what's left is usually 200mb of free space. We need to take back some of that space! :cyclops:

A - Set Magldr > Service > Boot Setting > Always Menu

After you reboot & setup WP7 go to:
••settings > about > reset your phone > YES! > phone re-boots
1024.jpg

since you set A your still in magldr (don't let it boot to WP7 - yet), remove the card, put it in your PC & run MTPW

you will see something like this
1024.jpg

right click on the larger (other)(14.64GB) partition & choose delete
right click on the larger (now unallocated)(14.64GB) partition & choose create partition as "Logical" with "Unformatted" file system.
Slide the tab to the Right leaving a partition slightly larger than 1/2 the SD card that was shown in MTPW
Make sure the "Unallocated Space After : is ZERO 0
1024.jpg

after pressing OK something like below will show
Noticed that the "Unformatted" is larger than the "Unallocated" partition
click "Apply" & wait for it to finish.
1024.jpg

••Close MTPW > insert SD card to HD2 > Boot WPH
WP7 will continue to boot & do the usual setup stuff
settings > about > to see if the partition has changed.
1024.jpg

Turn OFF the phone, take out the SD card & plug it in the PC then run MTPW
the "Unformatted" before now becomes "other" to MTPW which WP7 formatted for it's own use.
1024.jpg

right click on the 200MB "other" partition & delete it!
noticed that it combined with the "unallocated" partition & now we have just 2 partitions
1024.jpg

right click on the "unallocated" partition
Create As > Primary > FAT32
slide the Tab to the Left for the EXT4 partition, i choose around 2g
1024.jpg

when you press OK, an allocated space will be there
Create As > Primary > EXT4
1024.jpg

right click on the "Other" partition
Modify > Set partition as Primary
1024.jpg

Now we have 3 Primary Partitions, click Apply & when all is done your ready to go!
1024.jpg

copy all the necessary files you need to the SD & see if WP7 boots First, see more on NativeSD+EXT4 below
NativeSD Rom+EXT4 for New Users with peechurs

Error Message
when i ran EXT4 recovery there was an error message & it does not boot to TWRP (touch), although with this error message all seems to be running ok - for now :fingers-crossed:
1024.jpg

Many thanks to the Dev's & Guys that gave us so much for our HD2, don't forget to hit the "Thanks" button for our guys! :highfive:

for partitioning I followed This

Last edited:

soulforger

Dec 14, 2010
Kiev
Hey man , thanks for tutorial.
I'm using WP7 on my tmous hd2 for long time.
Today i decided to try dual boot native sd and wp7 , and i was searching all day how to do it.
However i accidently did what you wrote there , formatted my main hard disk!
And now trying to recover my partition :rolleyes:
I'll try dual boot with that tutorial tomorrow.

Last edited:

T-Macgnolia

Sep 30, 2010
Shannon, Ms.
Man this is a pretty good guide, it is also needed to as Native SD is still new to the HD2. I am glad to see you can use 4EXT with the HD2 now as I feel it is truly the best custom recovery out at the current time. I absolutely love the 4EXT recovery Control app, it is the paid version but you can also get the 4EXT Updater app which is free but not all the features are available in it. I am going to suggest this guide for the Portal as it proves you can multiboot OS using Native SD. Thanks for taking time to write this up mengfei.

mengfei

Jan 20, 2010
Shenzen, China
thanks Man!

I just extended the dual boot of WP+SD to include EXT4 & i hope it's helpful to those that want to have as much option as they can have. I now have like 10 roms just in case one goes bonkers, what a Paranoid hehehe :cyclops:

BTW here's Xylograph's reply to the error I was getting.
Originally Posted by Xylograph View Post

It's because WP7 is using that 2nd (non EXT3 or EXT4) partition and 4EXT recovery doesn't recognize that FS..

so i guess it's not that serious :fingers-crossed:

Reactions: azhabd

marcopolo

Apr 13, 2009
Delhi, India
:highfive: wonderful tutorial in very easy language... I am sure one does not need to scroll up-down too many times to see the steps...

I have been away from WP7 for a long time but would like to taste it once again :p :cowboy::cowboy:

serverless

May 25, 2010
fastboot.it
Hi mengfei, do you expierence poor speed performance on android with triple boot? I installed NexusHD2 rom with nativesd and, I must say, it is painfully slow and barely usable. Even downloading something to the card is slow. I have no speed problem with wp7. I have a transcend 8gb class 6 with this partition layout: 2,5Gb Fat32, 1,5 EXT4, 3gb for wp7. Is there something I can check or I can do to improve my android installation or the speed of sdcard?

mengfei

Jan 20, 2010
Shenzen, China
@serverless
no problem with my 16g Sandisk Class 10, just flashed JB AOKP's latest & it's buttery smooth.

I had problems with a 4g Sandisk which i think had a problem or is fake even when running normal SD Rom's & my Class 10 16g Transcent is not compatible with WP7 - it wont detect it.

if you can try another Card or reformat the card, give it shot.
HTH

Last edited:

marcopolo

Apr 13, 2009
Delhi, India
i'm glad you found it useful :cowboy:

Yes, it is very good. though I now feel that I need to change my SD card. I have an 8 GB Class 2 SD card (the main culprit for slow speed) and now I am thinking to buy a 16/32 GB SD card but confuse with the class. I know Android write data on non-sequential manner but which one would be better? I am thinking of buying either Class 4, 6 and 10 SD card.

mengfei

Jan 20, 2010
Shenzen, China
@apurohit
here's one's posters take on about SD speeds

http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=1881205&page=4
Because Class 2 and 4 have better random access speed than an Class 6 or Class 10! Class 2 or 4 was the better choice for an OS, Class 6 or 10 was the better choice for big datas like movies or pictures, because they have a cache! This cache (Class 6/10) must always rebuild and this make it very slow for random access.

Also sorry for my bad english.:p

I am using a class 10 16g Sandisk & it seems to run well though I wish I had a 32gig :p

Reactions: marcopolo

soulforger

Dec 14, 2010
Kiev
By the way , i took back all my files which i formatted that day with partition recovery wizard :highfive:
Then i followed your steps and flashed wp7 and android. Everything is working perfectly in spite of using 16gb class 2 sandisk.
Today i bought a 16gb class 10 sandisk mobile ultra which is specially for android devices (thats what they said) and will flash android again.

derschnelle

I have question regarding the used radio when dual booting wph7 and android (native sd). Currently I use radio 2.15.50.14, as I did with android on NAND. Now I read that in wph7 it's recommended to use radio 5.51T. Is that even possible?

I'm sorry if that's the wrong thread or a stupid question.

mengfei

Jan 20, 2010
Shenzen, China
@soulforger
good to know you got your files back! :highfive:
let us know how it goes with those cards.

@derschnelle
2.15.50.14 is good for all, once you flash this radio from the start you can leave it alone with WP7 or Andy. One Radio to rule them all :cyclops:

mengfei

Jan 20, 2010
Shenzen, China
Hi mengfei, do you expierence poor speed performance on android with triple boot? I installed NexusHD2 rom with nativesd and, I must say, it is painfully slow and barely usable. Even downloading something to the card is slow. I have no speed problem with wp7. I have a transcend 8gb class 6 with this partition layout: 2,5Gb Fat32, 1,5 EXT4, 3gb for wp7. Is there something I can check or I can do to improve my android installation or the speed of sdcard?

hi, did you fix the speed problem that you where having? if so what was the problem in the first place? please do let us know. thanks.

Reactions: slav2008

slav2008

Nov 1, 2008
Hello mengfei,
Thank you a lot for your excellent tutorial. It's I've been looking for.
Would you Please let me know how to install native SD Android ROM on such prepared SD (WP7 delletes CMR I use to install zip ROMs from SD) or maybe you can address my question to developer who knows ?
Thank you once again and regards,
=======================================
Hello again,
I've read your tutorial again, carefully and came to conclusion that my request is senseless, everything is described. So, I'll try to install WP7 on NAND and AD on nativeSD.
Thanks again,

Last edited:

mattblack85

Sep 22, 2008
Breda
Hi,

I have followed the tutorial but my nativesdrom (evoHD2v10final) can't find the FAT32 partition. So i can't use the storage.

i have 3 partitions: FAT32 + EXT4 + unformatted( wp7)

Does any has the problem?

Thanks in advance

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    Lets try to triple Boot our HD2's with WIN7 + SD + Native SD via Magldr, although I got mine working OK, i'm not entirely sure if this is viable to all. please see last part.

I assume you already have Magldr in your HD2 & its either running WP7 or Andy in NAND or already dual Boots.

If not flash WP7 first in NAND by trying to follow this, WP7 is always in NAND **Anything you have in NAND/ SD will be deleted including CWM**
    http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?p=25781675#post25781675

after that is done the partitioning begins

Be very careful when using the minitool partition as you can accidentally format/ delete your Hard Disk Partition.

i'll be using a 16g card & after flashing WP7 it uses the SD Card as it's own storage using it's own format similar to a RAID setup making it like an Internal storage & what's left is usually 200mb of free space. We need to take back some of that space! :cyclops:

A - Set Magldr > Service > Boot Setting > Always Menu

After you reboot & setup WP7 go to:
    ••settings > about > reset your phone > YES! > phone re-boots
    1024.jpg

since you set A your still in magldr (don't let it boot to WP7 - yet), remove the card, put it in your PC & run MTPW

you will see something like this
    1024.jpg

right click on the larger (other)(14.64GB) partition & choose delete
    right click on the larger (now unallocated)(14.64GB) partition & choose create partition as "Logical" with "Unformatted" file system.
    Slide the tab to the Right leaving a partition slightly larger than 1/2 the SD card that was shown in MTPW
    Make sure the "Unallocated Space After : is ZERO 0
    1024.jpg

after pressing OK something like below will show
    Noticed that the "Unformatted" is larger than the "Unallocated" partition
    click "Apply" & wait for it to finish.
    1024.jpg

••Close MTPW > insert SD card to HD2 > Boot WPH
    WP7 will continue to boot & do the usual setup stuff
    settings > about > to see if the partition has changed.
    1024.jpg

Turn OFF the phone, take out the SD card & plug it in the PC then run MTPW
    the "Unformatted" before now becomes "other" to MTPW which WP7 formatted for it's own use.
    1024.jpg

right click on the 200MB "other" partition & delete it!
    noticed that it combined with the "unallocated" partition & now we have just 2 partitions
    1024.jpg

Create As > Primary > FAT32
    slide the Tab to the Left for the EXT4 partition, i choose around 2g
    1024.jpg

when you press OK, an allocated space will be there
    Create As > Primary > EXT4
    1024.jpg

right click on the "Other" partition
    Modify > Set partition as Primary
    1024.jpg

Now we have 3 Primary Partitions, click Apply & when all is done your ready to go!
    1024.jpg

copy all the necessary files you need to the SD & see if WP7 boots First, see more on NativeSD+EXT4 below
    NativeSD Rom+EXT4 for New Users with peechurs

Error Message
    when i ran EXT4 recovery there was an error message & it does not boot to TWRP (touch), although with this error message all seems to be running ok - for now :fingers-crossed:
    1024.jpg

Many thanks to the Dev's & Guys that gave us so much for our HD2, don't forget to hit the "Thanks" button for our guys! :highfive:

for partitioning I followed This
    YIKES!!! :eek:
    that's what I was afraid of, that's why I made BIG & Clear, well actually it happened to me once a long long time ago :p

Anyways there are powerful partition recovery out there, I hope you get it back.
    Man this is a pretty good guide, it is also needed to as Native SD is still new to the HD2. I am glad to see you can use 4EXT with the HD2 now as I feel it is truly the best custom recovery out at the current time. I absolutely love the 4EXT recovery Control app, it is the paid version but you can also get the 4EXT Updater app which is free but not all the features are available in it. I am going to suggest this guide for the Portal as it proves you can multiboot OS using Native SD. Thanks for taking time to write this up mengfei.
    Hey man , thanks for tutorial.
    I'm using WP7 on my tmous hd2 for long time.
    Today i decided to try dual boot native sd and wp7 , and i was searching all day how to do it.
    However i accidently did what you wrote there , formatted my main hard disk!
    And now trying to recover my partition :rolleyes:
    I'll try dual boot with that tutorial tomorrow.
    @serverless
    no problem with my 16g Sandisk Class 10, just flashed JB AOKP's latest & it's buttery smooth.

I had problems with a 4g Sandisk which i think had a problem or is fake even when running normal SD Rom's & my Class 10 16g Transcent is not compatible with WP7 - it wont detect it.

if you can try another Card or reformat the card, give it shot.
    HTH