[important note] ICS LEAK FIRMWARE ZIP and DOWNGRADING

Search This thread
J

JohnM

This is kind of related to development, and still really important since those flashing Leak ROMs might not read the General section and not know if I posted this there. That is why I posted this here.

If you flashed any PG86IMG firmware zip for the Virgin Mobile leaks, you might not be able to go back.

EDIT: CHADS DOWNGRADE THREAD: http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=1641461

NOTE: This is not specific to freeza's zip. Any firmware zip for the leaks is the same.

Why?

The leak firmware has a file, dzdata_4g.hdr, which no other official firmware has.
The only similar thing other leaks have is dzdata.img which has confirmed not working since people flashing 2.17 ruu (which has this) are still showing the Virgin Mobile banner and having problems.
Downgrading will leave you with the Virgin Mobile dzdata_4g.hdr.

TL;DR/easier to digest
Leak has dzdata_4g.hdr
No official firmware RUU does
Downgrading leaves you stuck with dzdata_4g

What is bad about keeping the Firmware

If you have flashed the zip or have tried downgrading from it, you might be one of the few that have problems with:
-No 3G, just 1X
-No VPN
-More bugs
And everyone will be stuck with the "Virgin Mobile" banner.
Also you're flashing radios and firmware from an unnoficial firmware for a different device. This can cause a lot of issues.

If you aren't having problems and you flashed it, good for you.. Some do but most don't..

EDIT: We're marked as Virgin Mobile so we'll be at the bottom of the tower priority.. among other things..

Can I still flash the firmware zip minus dzdata_4g.hdr?

Try it and report back. It might brick or phone or cause random reboots with the ROM.

Is there a fix if I already flashed it?

See here: http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=1641461

Summary:

The point of this warning is that if you flash the leaked firmware, there is a chance of you having problems. This chance is pretty high since I'd say like 1/10 of people have no 3G and signal quality for a lot of people got poorer.
If you get these problems, there's no going back. There's no way of fixing them.

Whether it's worth taking the risk or not is up to you.

Edit: This kind of explains the situation were in right now:

BTW....if anyone can confirm that they can roam on data after flashing the VM firmware please let us know! I believe data roaming may not work any longer.

And to explain why I don't believe the Sprint ICS leak....very simply....all the rcdata.imgs from our ruus contain the same exact thing....the partition (RCData) is the Radio-Cust.(om?)er?) Data partition and holds pri information and roaming data!

So quite simply....we flashed a file that was built for a different carrier and are now marked as that carrier in different areas of the network.....this WILL conflict with other things as more of us use our devices at different levels!

ADDED AFTER..... Chad has just confirmed with Qualcomm that we have messed up our devices PRI! There is no way to revert from the VIRGIN MOBILE PRI!

The ICS leak may be our fix as it could contain a updated PRI that would be accepted by our devices partition!

Sent from my Evo 3D using Tapatalk 2.0

Last edited:

Cuppeerr

Mar 15, 2010
Grapevine, Texas
I havent had any problems with upgrading and am happy with the ics leak so im good to go:) I've had same signal, same data speeds and everything....

Nice post btw:D

Last edited:

ssojyeti2

Jan 27, 2011
Miami
I happen to be one of those lucky chaps who flashed it and are suffering from extremely poor signal...:(

J

JohnM

I happen to be one of those lucky chaps who flashed it and are suffering from extremely poor signal...:(

I flashed it and went a few places and had what I think is extremely poor signal, but every time I checked my wifes phone's signal (stock Epic 4G) it is the same. Maybe just coincidence?

mteezey

Oct 24, 2011
Detroit
Interesting. Curious to.see more feedback I myself did not update firmware. Signal seems normal.

Sent from my PG86100 using Tapatalk 2

Gumby63

Dec 7, 2010
Atlanta
I upgraded to the firmware and then decided to go back to the 2.17 firmware and I don't have any problems?

J

JohnM

im not entirely sure how true this is cause I just nandroid back to WarmTwoPointThree and using my 4g hotspot from my Evo 3d

4G still works with the firmware, I never said anything was wrong with 4G. So does hotspot.

Go to settings, about phone, network and tell me what it says for your network operator.

Also you did flash the firmware right? or did you flash the roms without firmware?

J

JohnM

I upgraded to the firmware and then decided to go back to the 2.17 firmware and I don't have any problems?

Only some are actually having problems, but the point is, if you flash Freeza's firmware there is a chance of you having problems. If you have problems, theres no way of fixing them.

Also the chance is pretty high as many users have been reporting of no 3G, VPN, etc.

mingolianbeef

Apr 14, 2011
With the virgin mobile banner am I no longer in the Sprint database or is it just cosmetic/visual that can be edited with eri.xml ???

Sent from my PG86100 using XDA

el poblano

Aug 11, 2010
Phoenix
I appreciate the warning, but maybe it was premature? I flashed the fw with no issues, and I've been on 2 ics builds and one 2.17 without problem.

jxr94

Jun 15, 2010
Hope a solution comes out for this, so glad I didn't flash the firmware lol.

sent from my 3VO

phonetec

Dec 4, 2009
I want this **** off of my phone!!! Can I use a old RUU?

Sent from my PG86100 using XDA Premium App

Jamesredmond82

Apr 25, 2011
Greenville, n.c.
4G still works with the firmware, I never said anything was wrong with 4G. So does hotspot.

Go to settings, about phone, network and tell me what it says for your network operator.

Also you did flash the firmware right? or did you flash the roms without firmware?

I Flashed the firmware right into bootloader and I dont see where you are seeing your network operator

Astrikz

Mar 27, 2012
I flashed Freeza's ics firmware but my banner never changed to virgin mobile even though it seemed to work since voicemail didn't work. I was able to run 1.13 RUU and it seemed like everything was back to normal.
I also haven't had an issues with any rom.

I flashed while on Newts one S. And was able to restore to Nocturnal Adrenaline just fine.

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    all i know is i better wake up to 6000 thanks after i get this
    me either, and me too....fingers crossed for u guys

i dont have issue either.. so why am i even doing this??

cause freeza is my buddy :) and to help u all
    Mind sharing the patched PG86IMG? My network connection is fubard right now i almost got nothing to lose. Have to reboot serveral times just to make a call.

attached....

TESTED: hw002 retail phone w/ 1.04 ENG hacked bootloader
    flashed this, rebooted - and PRI ver matched what i hex-edited into the file, so this is proof the file flashed.

the Virgin Mobile PRI is 1.53.144 this is THE 2.17 SPRINT PRI WITH A PRI# OF 1.54.145 - if your phone reports 145, it accepted this file.

now we need to deal w/ the other file (rfg_1.img)
    Look guys i simply took a file someone else uploaded and removed a few files that wiped your data. There was no evil intent, and i even warned about the virgin mobile thing. Fortunately for me, my phone still works fine even with the virgin mobile eri banner, which is easily changed. Hell, I'm not even in my home state at the moment so I'm having every opportunity to test 3g and it works fine

I don't know what to say but I sure meant no harm with someone else's leaked software. To be honest, the real sprint software will probably contain all the same files but tailored for sprint if anyone who is having problems wants to wait.
    still working on rfg1

btw - been messin w/ this ALL day - so no kernel progress :(

and i have NEVER ever posted something on xda that has not been flashed (one) of my phones 1st..