[Q] HTC Merge Rooting and Custom Recovery

Search This thread

xPreSiDenT

Aug 14, 2007
Boston
Google Pixel 7 Pro
OK I just got an HTC Merge(lexikon) but i was surprised to find it hasn't been released yet. so now im stuck with the problem of how to perm root it. I have ran visionary and temprooted it but thats no fun, plus i want to install new roms :D

The merge seems to be very close to the HTC EVO shift, with the only big difference seemingly being the wimax part. The processor is the same, and the memory seems the same too. My question is, would it be safe to try this (http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=932153) hboot and recovery on the merge? Would this method be safe (apart from the inherent risk of flashing hboots)? Would these roms work on the merge? Too many questions :p

But I've also read that the merge is apparently very close to the g2 etc, and is supposed to be in the HTC Vision family of phones, from what ive read, it seems i have to first convert it to something like the G2(something about partitions etc) and then i'll be able to start flashing roms on it. so I'm confused.

I have been unable to find a matching RUU for this lexikon, as all RUUs Ive found are older than the rom version on the phone. The phones splash screen is for US Cellular, however the phone isnt on their site.

some details:

Bootloader screen:
HBOOT - 0.88.0000
RADIO - 1.07.00.1228_2
Dec 2, 2010, 16:07:41

attachment.php

I am experienced with adb and flashing etc, and I'd be happy to work with devs interested in the merge. Any help would be appreciated.

Last edited:

ThaSik1

Mar 30, 2010
Stark-Vegas
I'm quite curious about this as well because CellSouth is getting the merge this month and the first thing i wanna do it root it and possibly get cm7 on the baby. I've scoured the forums and sadly noticed that one doesn exist for this particular phone. I have noticed that it is being associated with the desire Z and possibly the shift but no one has stated which thread to follow for the Merge. Hopefully someone drops in and answers your question bro cuz i'll definitely be following where you go for resources whenever i upgrade :)

xPreSiDenT

Aug 14, 2007
Boston
Google Pixel 7 Pro
no luck man, been searching for more than a week. I guesswork will only start on this once its released and some devs get their hands on this. I wanted to get the ball rolling before it was released so we had something once it landed but their has been no response or interest from any devs etc :(

Reactions: cac2us

Discostrings

Nov 24, 2008
Alltel pre-orders for the HTC Merge ship tomorrow, which is the first official release of the phone, so I get the feeling there will be more people asking these questions very soon.

ThaSik1

Mar 30, 2010
Stark-Vegas
Guess all we can do is be patient..I mean with all the work they are doing over in the G2/DZ forums, it shouldn't take them that long to get things rolling on the Merge :) Dont even own it yet but already eager to overclock it hehehe

Discostrings

Nov 24, 2008
I got mine. It's nice.

Alltel, the provider that just launched the phone, is not a major carrier. Alltel has around 800,000 subscribers. Compare that to Verizon Wireless's 102.2 million and AT&T Mobility's 95.5 million, and you'll understand why the forums aren't exactly blowing up with Merge users.

That said, a lot of Alltel subscribers have been waiting for a phone like this, so I'm sure they're selling a lot of them. I think people will be trickling in as the phone launches on other regional carriers like Cellular South. There will probably only be a quicker surge in the user base if the phone launches on Verizon.

Discostrings

Nov 24, 2008
Alltel software versions

Looks like the Alltel release has some newer software builds:

Bootloader screen:
LEXIKON XB SHIP S-ON
HBOOT-0.88.0000
RADIO-1.08.00.0224
eMMC-boot
Dec 2 2010, 16:07:41

Baseband version
12.38W.80.14U_1.08.00.0224

Kernel version
2.6.32.17-gda47c97
htc-kernel@and18-2 #1
Sat Jan 29 02:50:37 CST 2011

Build number
2.04.671.1 CL336990 release-keys

Software number

PRI Version
1.56_011

Discostrings

Nov 24, 2008
Potential root method for HTC Merge

After doing a bit of research, I've found an approach to attempting to gain permanent root privileges on the Merge that seems fairly safe.

Basically, follow the main instructions for the most current method of rooting the G2 / Desire Z / Desire HD, but skip the hboot/recovery steps. If it works, it should be good for S-OFF, Super-CID, SIM-unlock (if other versions of the phone are SIM-locked; the Alltel isn't), and root.

Here's the procedure. Take path 4b (because we don't have an engineering hboot file) and skip the following line, because we don't have a recovery we know is compatible:
Code:
./flash_image recovery recovery.img

While a recovery would be nice, I don't see why the rest wouldn't work without one.

It doesn't sound too risky because the steps are:
  1. Use psneuter to get temp root. I imagine at worst, this just doesn't work.
  2. Use gfree to power cycle the emmc, which will restart in read/write mode. Probably in the worst case, this doesn't work and your device restarts.
  3. Use root_psn script to copy busybox, su, and Superuser.apk to the now-writable system partition. I don't see how this would make your Merge unusable in a way you can't undo.

I don't need permanent root access so I haven't tried this myself. Please post your results if you try it. If you don't try it but see a reason this won't work, please let us know.

Disclaimer: I have not tested this. In fact, I am new to Android (although proficient with Linux). If you become the first person to brick a Merge, don't blame me for encouraging you or providing dangerous ideas.

stoney_38668

Jul 5, 2010
Dublin, GA
i tried using 2 different versions of gfree and its a no-go
doesn't damage device but i get errors and of course no root

thanks for the effort and the info discostrings

Discostrings

Nov 24, 2008
Hmm. Thanks for reporting your results stoney!

Whatever allows gfree to work seems to be patched (which is why you need to downgrade the Desire Z and HD in the instructions).

There are Merge ("Lexikon") RUUs floating around from testing last fall with Verizon that seem to have software versions that gfree will work with (1.23 and 1.33). So the downgrade trick may be possible. However, I'm not familiar with the signing process, so I don't know whether the current Merge would recognize them as a valid "upgrade" after lowering the version number. Trying it would be pretty risky as there's no way I know to back up or restore the stock ROM.

I guess we'll need to wait for a dev to look at this, or at least for a recent stock RUU as a safety net. If anyone is looking for the Lexikon ROMs, I can provide links, but they were pretty easy to find with a search engine.

A question for any dev that stops by: are the Lexikon ROMs from the fall likely to be flashable to the current Merge via the version-lowering trick and will they work with gfree?

Last edited:
Reactions: stoney_38668

stoney_38668

Jul 5, 2010
Dublin, GA
not feeling trying the downgrade yet so i guess I'll wait. my only concern is that the more time passes the more I get the feeling its not going to be picked up by a major carrier thus diminishing our chances that the device will end up in the hands of devs that want to tinker with it. a GREAT phone as-is though so no complaints from me.

xPreSiDenT

Aug 14, 2007
Boston
Google Pixel 7 Pro
yeah thats what i fear as well. another month and if this thing cant do cyanogen mod im selling it. Its a shame though, having the best android qwerty phone and not being able to tweak it. anyone know wtf is wrong with verizon?

ZooK4201107

Mar 7, 2011
All u HTC merge owners. I'm working on my computer now with adobe. I will try to have us some new rooting programs soon. I got all u guys. I will keep u informed

Sent from my ADR6325 using XDA Premium App

ZooK4201107

Mar 7, 2011
thats the same build and numbers i have bc i have the alltel merge also. do give up guys. it wont be long and we should have perm root

stoney_38668

Jul 5, 2010
Dublin, GA
Hoping someone can crack it soon before the phone is obsolete and forgotton about. Such a good phone. I'm glad I can temp root and use wireless tether but I'd love CM7.

xPreSiDenT

Aug 14, 2007
Boston
Google Pixel 7 Pro
Hoping someone can crack it soon before the phone is obsolete and forgotton about. Such a good phone. I'm glad I can temp root and use wireless tether but I'd love CM7.

If people are still developing for the G1 then i think we shouldn't worry about getting obsolete. Our phones are already way more obsolete than most people might think. But so are all the others, which were released about a month or two ago. We now have dual core phones and Sense 3.0. Sense 3.0 will not be coming to the HTC Desire S or the Incredible S.

BUT

The community will still port most of that stuff. hopefully. In the meantime, as merge owners, please show your support here. :D

stoney_38668

Jul 5, 2010
Dublin, GA
What's really crazy is that the Merge isn't even on the HTC website yet. I emailed them and asked why and was told that the phone had not been released yet.....

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    do you know any dev that could be interested in helping us out ?

We need root !!!

Well, ask and you shall receive!!!

I got s-off on vzw merge. However, altell or USC ones it will require supercid or a goldcard to flash ruu from another carrier.

Tested and working CWM recovery I made for merge and latest radio hboot zips after s-off.

You must verify all Md5sums after downloading to computer (don't even think about downloading on phone) before flashing or risk a brick!!!!! Windows users can get one here & linux users can just type md5sum (name of file) into terminal.

Md5's
    8cd1ca796e755b6b72f35e5686dc973a PD42IMG_cw_recovery_gnm.zip
    97e35ecc802081b67e27d6cc8323cf81 PD42IMG_radio_1.08.00.320.zip
    cc2e7c077fddd017d7b0db614661c535 PD42IMG_1.49.605.1_no_system.zip
    4fe37c64b21d1d4542a801779fad5c57 misc-downgrade.img
    6d37a0f3526295ebb779f4465a328c96 rom.zip (leaked 1.23.605.1)

http://www.mediafire.com/file/6b2jatt0445h41g/PD42IMG_cw_recovery_gnm.zip
    http://www.mediafire.com/file/gbayon7dkmaq98i/PD42IMG_radio_1.08.00.320.zip

I am exploring a goldcard method that will allow flashing of the vzw ruu 1.23.605.1 that can be s-off'ed to allow other carriers merge's to be able to downgrade to s-off.

How to on s-off will be coming soon .... stay posted :)

Ok how to guide for s-off.

Files needed:
    MISCIMG Downgrade http://www.mediafire.com/file/f7c3boee7ixa3i9/misc-downgrade.img
    VZW leak 1.23.605.1 ruu.zip http://xdaforums.com/showpost.php?p=8237592&postcount=2
    Exploits http://www.mediafire.com/file/e9w92clv6l71el3/exp.zip
    VZW ONLY http://www.mediafire.com/file/rvxec54dgg1ad6q/PD42IMG_1.49.605.1_no_system.zip
    USSC or Altell get your RUU from here: http://shipped-roms.com/index.php?category=android&model=Lexikon
    2fast4u88 has reported that this is the most current RUU for USSC here

HEADS UP: This guide will reflash your phone and cause loss of all non-backed up data

Goldcard is required for ALL NON-VZW phones
    Read how to make one here : http://www.mikesouthby.co.uk/2010/0...yo-official-ota-for-network-branded-handsets/

I used the app goldcard helper from market and if you use it skip right to the step of "Go to this page and enter this new number into the SD Card Serial (CID) field" and enter the output of the sdcard cid for mmc2 into the goldcard generator site.

After goldcard is made via directions in link above or if on vzw branded device you can skip the goldcard part. Next rename the vzw leak ruu.zip to PD42IMG.zip and place it on root of sdcard.

Next from dir you downloaded stuff to unzip the exp.zip and copy the exp folder to your android sdk platform-tools dir (if using windows) linux users should have adb in path so this shouldn't be needed just open terminal from download dir. Make sure the phone is in usb mode charge-only from this point on with usb-debugging turned on (settings/applications/development).
    Code:
    adb push exp /data/local
    adb shell chmod 0755 /data/local/psneuter
    adb shell chmod 0755 /data/local/busybox
    adb shell /data/local/psneuter
    adb shell

At this point you should have a # indicating temporary root.

If on vzw you will need to backup system.img from 1.49.605.1 FW as no ruu exists for it and I couldn't upload in mediafire as it was bigger than 200mb. This will take 5-10 minutes.

Code:
    adb shell
    dd if=/dev/block/mmcblk0p25 of=/sdcard/system.img bs=4096

Next we backup our existing misc partition.
    Code:
    adb shell
    dd if=/dev/block/mmcblk0p17 of=/sdcard/misc-stock.img bs=4096
    /data/local/busybox md5sum /sdcard/misc-stock.img
    /data/local/busybox md5sum /dev/block/mmcblk0p17
    Make sure the md5sum of the misc-stock.img matches the one from /dev/block/mmcblk0p17

Next we use temp root to flash a misc.img that I hex edited to allow downgrading FW. misc-downgrade.img needs to be in platform-tools dir for windows users.

Code:
    adb push misc-downgrade.img /sdcard/
    adb shell
    dd if=/sdcard/misc-downgrade.img of=/dev/block/mmcblk0p17
    sync

Next power off your phone and boot it holding vol_dn + power.
    Let the PD42IMG.zip complete ( will do hboot + radio then self reboot and restart to finish the rest)

Once rebooted into the 1.23.605.1 firmware

Code:
    adb push exp /data/local
    adb shell
    chmod 0755 /data/local/psneuter
    chmod 0755 /data/local/wpthis
    chmod 0755 /data/local/gfree
    /data/local/psneuter (to get temp root again)

adb shell

/data/local/wpthis    (to disable emmc write protect)
    /data/local/gfree -f  (this will supercid, simunlock, and s-off phone)
    rm /sdcard/PD42IMG.zip (remove/delete the leaked FW so hboot wont load it again)

Reboot into bootloader and verify you have s-off :)

If so reboot into android and use your carrier's RUU to replace your FW. You will not lose s-off. If on vzw unzip the PD42IMG_1.49.605.1_no_system.zip and add your system.img from your memory card we dumped earlier to the zip. Rezip and rename to PD42IMG.zip and place on root of sdcard and reboot into hboot to flash it just like we did earlier. This will restore the shipped 1.49.605.1 hboot, radio, boot.img, stock recovery.img, and system.img.

After you have upgraded backup you can use the clockwork recovery.img I made and rename it to PD42IMG.zip (make sure to delete the old PD42IMG.zip on your sdcard) and place it on root of sdcard and flash via hboot just like the other PD42IMG.zip's. Then you will have s-off and a custom recovery. Remember to remove/rename/move the PD42IMG.zips when done as they will flash if you enter hboot. Recovery can be entered via bootloader by picking recovery or via "adb reboot recovery".

Flashing this zip via clockwork recovery will install root (su & superuser.apk), busybox & symlink applets, flash & dump image. signed_merge_su_eng_toolkit.zip

After you have root on your release firmware:

The following commands will restore your stock misc.img

from a root # shell: (will need to type su after adb shell and accept superuser pop-up)
    Code:
    adb shell
    dd if=/sdcard/misc-stock.img of=/dev/block/mmcblk0p17
    sync

Special thanks to Scotty2 & Tmzt who wrote and developed the wpthis & gfree exploits for the G2 without these s-off for lexikon wouldn't have been possible for me.

My donation link is below if anyone wants to toss me a donation. Took me about a week to port RA recovery to merge only to fail as it had issues then to setup the board files for lexikon for cm7 to do a clockwork recovery and not to mention dumping partitons and working on the s-off stuff and goldcard.
    A guide would be most appreciated!!

http://2fastroms.com/viewtopic.php?f=86&t=167&p=2159#p2159

Ask and you shall get. Hopefully rehosting the cwm and vzw files were fine. I forgot to ask actually. Some pieces are from the guide but I did some things a bit different. That is also everything you need instead of bits and pieces. Any ?'s just ask.
    The guide should be back up with downloads. But I need a list of the h-boots, radio version and a dump of the system partition so I can make some fast boot images for people to flash to so they get the right stuff instead of restoring a backup on a old radio and h-boot.

Also for ones that have does this on other carriers I don't have the misc image edit for. If they have the stock misc backup that would help also. Though I know the biggest portion of the right cidnums from fixing mms on the cdma desire.

Also since I have a merge to play with I finishing up a debranded gingerbread build and I will see what if I can get anywhere with overclock for gingerbread. I also have sense 3.0 ported but working on the bugs to get half the crap working.
    Max freq at boot is set to 806mhz for saftey. At worst a battery pull will reboot you and then you are back at stock max freq well till you use setcpu again anyway

Just finished modifying the board files and related stuff for aosp kernel and it built cleanly. :) Guess what may be next.
    I tried the G2 root methods and and that doesn't work either. I've got a guy working on it and hopefully within the the next day or so he will get it

Sent from my ADR6325 using XDA App