[Q] Best Wi-Fi performance

Status
Not open for further replies.
Search This thread

Cwluc

Jun 19, 2010
Been playing around a bit with my phone and came across this option wondering what exactly does it do. First I'm assuming it's an HTC only option because I'm not seeing it on other manufactures forums (so if it turns out to be worth it I know I've got to stick with HTCs). Second by enabling the option in increasing performance is it more tailored for receiving data from the AP only or if the phone is AP (tethered, hotspot) would I get any performance gains (range, speed)? Lastly while tethered does the manner matter? If I've enabled tethering by any means would it make any difference. Is it the kernel, wifi antenna, or app have anything to do with it. Does it need to be written to specifically take advantage of the feature? Basically even if enabling it does anything what's the point if I'm just going to be wasting battery at the end of the day because it's an HTC only feature that no one is coding for.

cloneman1

Sep 23, 2010
I enabled it on my phone and the ping/jitter goes down considerably when I ping my phone from my Desktop, versus having the option unticked..

interesting...

EVO3D GSM

Reactions: Simba501

ix sik pro xi

May 28, 2009
San Mateo
Does the wifi on phones have a cap on data speeds? At school, we have a 700 down and 500 up connection and when I hook my phone up with wifi, it goes to like 27 down and about 20 up at the most. Not that I need that type of speed but something that I found interesting and was curious about.

zelendel

Aug 11, 2008
OnePlus 6T
OnePlus 9
ix sik pro xi said:
Does the wifi on phones have a cap on data speeds? At school, we have a 700 down and 500 up connection and when I hook my phone up with wifi, it goes to like 27 down and about 20 up at the most. Not that I need that type of speed but something that I found interesting and was curious about.

It is most likely due to alot of people using the same connection at once.

Reactions: hungmung

wing_addict_usa

Jul 2, 2008
I found one thing it does, on my mytouch 4g slide, if the screen was off, wifi would barely work. Skype, iheartradio, etc would stop streaming until I turned it on. I have no idea what it actually does though. Eg. if wifi was even slowed down to 1mbps, streaming should still work, so they are doing something crazy. PS my wifi is set to always on. Weird.

G

GuestK007

I found one thing it does, on my mytouch 4g slide, if the screen was off, wifi would barely work. Skype, iheartradio, etc would stop streaming until I turned it on. I have no idea what it actually does though. Eg. if wifi was even slowed down to 1mbps, streaming should still work, so they are doing something crazy. PS my wifi is set to always on. Weird.

very old thread, unrelated phone. When the phone goes in sleep or screen is off, most downclock the cpu to save energy, this will reduce network transfer speeds. Depending on settings, some will actually disconnect during screen off.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    I enabled it on my phone and the ping/jitter goes down considerably when I ping my phone from my Desktop, versus having the option unticked..

interesting...

EVO3D GSM
    ix sik pro xi said:

It is most likely due to alot of people using the same connection at once.