Jolla Sailfish OS

Search This thread

stormageddon

Dec 31, 2011
California
Saw this new OS by Jolla called Sailfish, it is a Linux bases OS that shares the mer core that was used by MeeGo. So far from what I can tell it is going to be completely open source and will be able to run android apps. I just wanted to post this here to see if there would be anyone willing to try and get this onto the G2x. I don't know if it is possible but if it could be done I would be willing to do whatever to help it get done as I think this is a really cool OS with a different UI and real multitasking.

Any information on the OS can be found here: http://jolla.com

Hands on with the OS:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?1&v=_c_BqnR_vAM

Last edited:

Rafase282

Oct 25, 2006
Bronx
It looks like the graphic card driver issue might come up again. Hopefully not. I was told to start with this since I have a nexus one.

SDK is here by the way.

Last edited:

kepapas

May 21, 2012
Possible ROM? Looks better then jb

Sent from my Nexus 7 using XDA Premium HD app

bardzogrozny

Oct 31, 2012
Hi,

i'm very interested in this os. Saw the presentation at the live stream wednesday and follow the developement for a while. Here some things i found. Hope this helps.
It is meego/mer based.
The bridge to android is, that the Appstore of google is ported to sailfish os.
There will be a support for ST Ericsson devices. I'm wondering on which devices it will be ported.
The developers are making commercial to the manufacturers with the statement, that they are able to port the system to any device within three days. So there should be good possobiloties for dev's.
The source Code should be available right now, but i couldn't find it. There is a wiki site on sailfishos.org .

Hope there are some people that will try to port it.

Cheers!

Reactions: Sanket2112

kanttii

Jul 6, 2010
Helsinki
blissroms.com
I like what they are doing A LOT. I was organizing the #Slush12 conference and got to see their stuff very well. It's great, amazing IMO! We will also ahve a hack day with them on 1st of December, exploring the Sailfish SDK (check http://sailfishos.org ) so if anyone here wants to come to Finland........ http://mobiledevcamp.fi :D

Anyways, yeah, it's based on MeeGo/Mer and uses Nemo as the base for GUI - but the UI is completely different. There are also many other things that differ and will differ in the future from Mer base but at the moment there isn't too much in there. And since a device will be launched in Summer 2013 there is still a lot they need to work on. It's going to be open source and it will support a very broad range of CPU's. I might even be able to get it on my old HTC Magic....hmmmmm....gotta see about that. They had dozens of devices there at the event they had put it running on, including N950's, (I think an N9 too), some ST-Ericsson development devices, Raspberry Pi boards (!!!!!!) and then some others. Wow. They all seem to be tweakers & hackers like us ;)

You should check the videos from http://youtube.com/jollaofficial and from http://jolla.com to get a better view on what's going to come. Or what is. '
'

And as a side note, we COULD get the OS running with the stuff from the SDK. No instructions or tutorials yet but skilled guys can ofc do it!:good:

EDIT:
Hi,

i'm very interested in this os. Saw the presentation at the live stream wednesday and follow the developement for a while. Here some things i found. Hope this helps.
It is meego/mer based.
The bridge to android is, that the Appstore of google is ported to sailfish os.
There will be a support for ST Ericsson devices. I'm wondering on which devices it will be ported.
The developers are making commercial to the manufacturers with the statement, that they are able to port the system to any device within three days. So there should be good possobiloties for dev's.
The source Code should be available right now, but i couldn't find it. There is a wiki site on sailfishos.org .

Hope there are some people that will try to port it.

Cheers!

Google's Play Store won't officially be ported for Sailfish OS, but instead I believe some people here at XDA will port the APK though there is no guarantee it works. Anyways, they will be run through Myriad's stuff.

The ST-Ericsson stuff means that they are supporting Jolla with dev boards and that their boards can and will be used on at least some Jolla devices.

More later!

Last edited:

stormageddon

Dec 31, 2011
California
I like all that is being said here and hope we could get some skilled developers on this, the SDK is out though I do not have the link for it right here. I will look around for it.

Sent from my LG-P999 using xda premium

flizer

Sep 25, 2012
Still hopeful

If it is possible to somehow port this over to our g2xs then why hasn't it been done with meego? Obviously ICS isn't coming, but if this does make it here somehow, then i might just hold on to this phone :). If it doesn't then it will be a choice between the nexus 4 and the jolla phone. My brother has the N9 with meego on it, and the sad part is that he can run and android emulator with ICS perfectly, while we're stuck with out roms :p. For those of you who have not had the opportunity to play around with a linux phone, i highly suggest you do. If you look at the N9 specs compared to the G2X specs it looks weaker, but don't be fooled. the meego system can do much more with less. Anyways sorry for rambling on.

If you don't feel like reading that then: Meego is great, Jolla is gonna be better (the guys that made meego, which nokia cancelled, banded together to create jolla and continue on).

stormageddon

Dec 31, 2011
California
If it is possible to somehow port this over to our g2xs then why hasn't it been done with meego? Obviously ICS isn't coming, but if this does make it here somehow, then i might just hold on to this phone :). If it doesn't then it will be a choice between the nexus 4 and the jolla phone. My brother has the N9 with meego on it, and the sad part is that he can run and android emulator with ICS perfectly, while we're stuck with out roms :p. For those of you who have not had the opportunity to play around with a linux phone, i highly suggest you do. If you look at the N9 specs compared to the G2X specs it looks weaker, but don't be fooled. the meego system can do much more with less. Anyways sorry for rambling on.

If you don't feel like reading that then: Meego is great, Jolla is gonna be better (the guys that made meego, which nokia cancelled, banded together to create jolla and continue on).

What's funny is that is sort of what I think when it comes down to it.

Sent from my LG-P999 using xda premium

Reactions: Sleeper1979

markkyboy

Feb 21, 2007
N9

Hi guys,
it's been a while since I've been here, but I have been following Jolla and their new OS, Sailfish.
I own a Nokia N9, got it 2nd hand on Ebay, mint condition.
First thing I wanted to do was upgrade the software/firmware, but it'd already been done by the previous owner.
Version PR1.3 (MeeGo 1.2 Harmattan), apparently, this last update came with a 1000 improvements!
Having come from using a Nokia N8 with Symbian's latest Belle Refresh, I find the N9 a bit less intuitive.
No alphanumeric keypad with T9 support, just QWERTY keypads that do support T9 and of course Swype, which is a joke on such a small keypad.
There are a variety of free softwares available for the N9, some don't work at all or require tweaking to make them run.
Video playback is absolutely horrendous, whatever format is being played, drops frames like mad and goes out of sync quite rapidly (not so much with streamed videos).
Also, there is no direct access to the 'user storage', a 3rd party 'explorer' is required to access it, how ridiculous and too boot, there is also not 16GB of storage, it's nearer 9GB as the MeeGo OS and included 'non removable' bloatware hogs all the valuable storage!
Anyway, I could ramble on about loads of little niggles with the N9 and the 'wonderful' MeeGo O/S which could have been a winner with more development.
Here's hoping that Jolla can deliver a breath of fresh air for the N9 users out there, which will NOT be supported by Jolla, it will be a community effort that will bring Sailfish to the N9 and other handsets.
All I 'd like is a nice alphanumeric keypad with T9 support in a 4x3 format, thanks! 8)
All said and done, the N9 has a lot of appeal with its glossy curvy finish, but, MeeGo, well, it's gotta go and Sailfish needs deliver!, if not, it's back on Ebay for my N9!!
Regards
Mark

Reactions: hrbani

zadox

Oct 1, 2010
Can't say I am excited about this neither as a developer nor as a consumer/enthusiast.

VDVsx

Jan 5, 2013
Helsinki
The ones interested in ports can follow this blog, there are instructions for some devices and boards already(Cubox, Snowball, Galaxy Nexus, ...): sagestechblog dot blogspot dot fi

The instructions are for Nemo Mobile that is basically Sailfish core(Mer) with a UI done by the community, when all Jolla Sailfish bits are released the setup should not differ much.

wpetraska

Jan 7, 2013
I love the idea and enthusiasm of Jolla but I can't see it succeeding especially with full out Ubuntu on mobile now. Shame too, because I loved MeeGo, especially on a netbook.

I love the idea and enthusiasm of Jolla but I can't see it succeeding especially with full out Ubuntu on mobile now. Shame too, because I loved MeeGo, especially on a netbook.

Well, Ubuntu is not out yet. And announcing Ubuntu OS do not miraculously make it be an interesting choice or available everywhere. And even after that, you still have to choose between two UI that are really different.

(Personnaly, my choice goes to Sailfish)

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    Saw this new OS by Jolla called Sailfish, it is a Linux bases OS that shares the mer core that was used by MeeGo. So far from what I can tell it is going to be completely open source and will be able to run android apps. I just wanted to post this here to see if there would be anyone willing to try and get this onto the G2x. I don't know if it is possible but if it could be done I would be willing to do whatever to help it get done as I think this is a really cool OS with a different UI and real multitasking.

Any information on the OS can be found here: http://jolla.com

Hands on with the OS:
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?1&v=_c_BqnR_vAM
    Sorry if this has been answered or I am just missing something, but what is a good place for news and updates on Jolla? More technical updates, maybe something along the lines of "ported to this phone" updates as well as actual updates to the OS. Any suggestions would be appreciated. :)

The best way is to go on Freenode #JollaMobile, #SailfishOS. Since no image of Sailfish is out yet, we cannot consider porting stuff, but be sure to get in touch with Mer Project, since it is the basis of Sailfish. Read http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=2230276 and http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=2197455
    AW: Jolla Sailfish OS

This looks horrible. Like android and windows phone made a baby that came out with some birth defect. I'm sorry, but this won't catch on.

Maybe that's for you, but I like it so I think it will have a future ;)

...sent with my LG Optimus 4X HD...
    Wow guys the SDK is really easy to install. Just download 32 bit or 64 bit linux version to your linux PC and right click the file and choose properties and then choose "let file run as an executable" then close properties and double click it and it walks you through the whole thing.
    When the SDK starts go to file>new and just make up a name for your application that you are going to create and then answer all the questions and then you can click on the lower left to start the emulator and wallah you have the sailfish OS. It opens a virtual box with the sailfish OS which is perfect. The first time it did start for me but switched to black screen so I had to send the shut down signal and then restart it and it worked.
    I have a sailfish OS on my screen.
    SailfishOSEmulator_zps956bf186.png

I'm not even a developer or anything and I don't know QT but this really makes me want to learn now. The SDK looks really good and easy to use to make apps. The OS - It's very minimalistic leaving you lots of blank space. Keep in mind I have no idea what I'm doing. But it's fun to play around with all of the settings and I can see all the tools that developers use it really just hands you all the UI elements.

---------- Post added at 10:41 AM ---------- Previous post was at 10:21 AM ----------

and from https://sailfishos.org//about-technology.html

"Android runtime

Sailfish OS includes the capability to run Android™ applications through a third party solution. It is based on open source Android libraries, ensuring performance comparable to the native environment.

When Qt5 and Wayland technology are introduced to Sailfish OS, existing hardware adaptations made for Android can be leveraged, significantly easing the hardware adaptation work required to support the Sailfish OS.
    HTML5

Web development tools like HTML, JavaScript and CSS can be used to utilize HTML5 on the Sailfish OS. We are investigating Cordova Qt and compatibility with Firefox OS APIs for this purpose.

Android is a trademark of Google Inc."