my Carbon Fiber vinyl wrapped Captivate

Search This thread
So I was searching on eBay for cases or skins for my new phone, and came across some knock-off DecalGirl.com carbon fiber skins that looked terrible - then I thought to myself.... "Self, I can do this on my own with some scrap 3M Di-Noc Carbon Fiber I have lying around!"

And so I did, and my Galaxy S now has hidden buttons, AT&T and Samsung branding removed, and is MUCH easier to grip since the 3M Di-Noc material is TEXTURED just like real carbon fiber! What do you think?

38714_762635106098_12702760_42430326_5673997_n.jpg

38714_762635076158_12702760_42430320_2663542_n.jpg

38714_762635081148_12702760_42430321_4897622_n.jpg

You can see higher (12MP) resolution pics by going to my album on Picasa:

http://picasaweb.google.com/garciam25/SamsungCaptivateCarbonFiber

Before anyone asks.....
  • I got the live wallpaper from HERE!
  • For anyone wondering why I didn't do the aluminum battery cover.... this vinyl CAN make the item you're wrapping trap in the heat, and the sides and top don't expel heat like the battery cover does. With over 9 years in the business of doing vinyl graphics, I have a LITTLE knowledge on the subject.... :D
  • I am not taking any commissions on doing this to your phone, sorry.... the other vinyls available on eBay will just have to do because this stuff is too expensive and this was too time consuming to do for any customer, plus, I am NOT soliciting my services on here to do it, so don't ask! I do this professionally and install the material, I do NOT sell it for you to buy. Google it if you want this for yourself, but expect to spend well over the 2 hours this took me to do if you don't have any experience. Don't forget your heat gun and X-Acto knife with lots of fresh blades!
  • Again, all the buttons function exactly as they did from the factory. I have NO issues with this, so don't try and bash this concept because you think the buttons don't work - if they didn't work, I wouldn't leave this on! FUNCTION over FORM
  • I am a carbon fiber junkie - if this isn't your thing, that's okay! I appreciate you being able to appreciate my hard work on my day off, finally....

Last edited:

sn1per420

Jul 19, 2010
That looks absolutely amazing. I wish I could do something like that, but about the only experience I have putting plastics on my phones is the zagg/etc screen protectors...

Sent from my Samsung Captivate using XDA app

Shovelhead84

Jul 27, 2008
I can't say I am a big fan of carbon fiber and that would not have been my choice.

That being said, it looks very well done and you can tell that a lot of time was put into it. That's a custom piece that would be great to flash about. Well done!

Other patterns that would be interesting; wood, stitching, or a nice riveted rusty metal plating.

caelestis2

Nov 15, 2008
I think the pattern is too big. If it would be smaller like the battery cover it would be x10 better.

Shovelhead84

Jul 27, 2008
Thanks for the comments! 3M Di-Noc does sell other patterns including wood and brushed metals, I believe, but when it comes to high-tech, nothing beats carbon fiber, IMO. As my grandfather used to say, "for different tastes, they invented colors"

The pattern is a standard 2 x 2 carbon fiber weave. When matched up with my other carbon products that I've made sure to buy only 2 x 2's, it looks to be right around the same size, but I see what you're getting at when it comes to the difference between it and the aluminum battery cover. Prior to installing the carbon vinyl, I have been told a few times that "the battery cover even looks like carbon fiber!" by friends who know how much I love the material. Now, and while I was installing the vinyl, I noted that it looks more like a flat checkerboard pattern, and the contrast between the two looks a little more aesthetic to me, personally. My 80GB Zune has a pattern on it that is similar to this skin from eBay:

015-CarbonFiber-black.jpg

Which was the only carbon fiber skin available for the Zune at the time, but I hate the small, tight weave on it. I believe that carbon should look 3D and have strands large enough to see the actual pattern on it, not be so tight that it really does look like a checkerboard with no depth to the weave! This one would have been a better choice for me if I didn't have this in stock and didn't have the time to do it myself yesterday:

STS2SSI897DE13.jpg

but printed-on vinyl being what it is with no texture to it..... I still would have been disappointed by the outcome (and also wonder where the Galaxy S logo went to on the battery cover!). I remember back in 1997 when I bought my first roll of printed-on carbon fiber vinyl and thought it was so cool, putting it all over the interior of my car! I look back at those pictures and I'm thankful for how far 3M decided to take it 12 years later when they released Di-Noc last year and I bought 30 yards of it immediately!

benclayton

Jul 23, 2010
I think the application is phenomenal, and although I'm not a huge fan of carbon fiber, I can appreciate the fact that you used REAL carbon fiber. Congrats, looks sick.

I think the application is phenomenal, and although I'm not a huge fan of carbon fiber, I can appreciate the fact that you used REAL carbon fiber. Congrats, looks sick.

well.... it is still not REAL carbon, the 3M Di-Noc material is the only vinyl used that has both 3D effects and texture - many printed carbon vinyls may have 3D or some textured vinyl may look close, but none have both like this does and look as real as it gets - thanks though!

smeltn

Jul 20, 2010
Alabama
Great job I think it looks fantastic. I do however like the buttons at the bottom visible, but covering up the Samsung logo would be nice ;P

squire366

Jan 8, 2009
3M Di-Noc Carbon Fiber Vinyl

I covered the battery door of my TMOUSA HD2 with Di-Noc and it came out great. I purchased a 4"x8" sample for $8 and it's enough to do 2 HD2 battery doors.

I plan on covering the center console of my 2004 Mazda 6 with the same material. The Di-Noc looks great and is very easy to work with. Using a heat gun or hair dryer allows you to easily cover corners and odd shapes.

I think you did an EXCELLENT job on your Galaxy S. If I would have known about Di-Noc a couple of months ago I would have covered my Blackberry with it!

jjones1983

Jun 29, 2010
Oklahoma City
Thought this looked really cool so decided to see what other patterns you can get the stuff in, and there are a ton. For anyone interested, check out this website...

http://www.idsfinishes.com/gallery/

I really dig some of the wood finishes, might look cool on my HD2 :D. Thinking about giving it a go soon.

By the way, you did a pretty damn excellent job on yours, though I'm not much a fan of carbon fiber myself.

Edit: On second thought... That white carbon fiber looks pretty awesome, heh. To the OP or anyone else who has used it, my only concern is... How thick is the stuff? I have an extended battery case that the HD2 slides into and I'm afraid if I put this on it'll be too thick to still slide in. Any truth to that?

Last edited:

pezx44

Oct 8, 2007
How difficult is it to remove the vinyl if you botch the job or if you just get bored of it? Does it leave a gooey residue everywhere?

The stuff IS pretty thick.... In some of my pics, you can see the depth of the product, it will add about 1mm to the overall width of the phone, which makes me interested in how it will work in the ProClip holster for the car I plan on buying when they make it! Since it has a nice amount of texture, it has to give it some thickness, but much of that is pretty negligible when you use a heat gun to wrap it nicely....

The question about sticky residue is something I get every time someone sees the work..... It leaves NO residue, same quality you can expect from all 3M products..... My best advice is to take it SLOWLY and use a heat gun when necessary, not on every surface! Just use it for edges, straight or curved, and cut with the sharpest x-acto blades you can find!

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I897 using XDA App

Last edited: