Flashed CWM, but still Stock Recovery?

Search This thread

CC268

Apr 4, 2011
Cave Creek
So I followed this guide to return to stock about a year ago: http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=2301259

I have since then remained on the stock ROM, but stayed on MDK. I am rooted as well, but never flashed a custom recovery.

Anyways I downloaded ROM Manager and flashed CWM Touch and it said it was succesful. However, when I reboot to recovery it is still the stock bootloader?

I am sure it is something stupid, as I have been away from all this stuff for quite a while now.

joshm.1219

May 7, 2013
Philadelphia
Woah...that is weird...it has always worked in the past? What happened?

Verizon happened. Well they've always made their phone manufacturers lock the bootloaders but with the Qualcomm Snapdragons, we haven't been able to get a true bootloader unlock. In fact, you're very lucky you kept your phone on MDK firmware. There's a small majority of us that did that and we're the only ones with an "exploited" bootloader, the 6 firmwares since MDK all have locked bootloaders.

Basically we use a "loki" exploit to make the system think our bootloader is unlocked, even though it really isn't. That's why ROM manager won't work, you need a loki'd version of CWM, not just the normal version.

CC268

Apr 4, 2011
Cave Creek
Verizon happened. Well they've always made their phone manufacturers lock the bootloaders but with the Qualcomm Snapdragons, we haven't been able to get a true bootloader unlock. In fact, you're very lucky you kept your phone on MDK firmware. There's a small majority of us that did that and we're the only ones with an "exploited" bootloader, the 6 firmwares since MDK all have locked bootloaders.

Basically we use a "loki" exploit to make the system think our bootloader is unlocked, even though it really isn't. That's why ROM manager won't work, you need a loki'd version of CWM, not just the normal version.

Ahh gotcha, while I don't really do the custom ROMs or kernels anymore I guess I am glad I stayed on MDK. Now a days I just stay on the Stock ROM, but still rooted with custom recovery.

Thanks for your help.

Reactions: joshm.1219

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    Woah...that is weird...it has always worked in the past? What happened?

Rom manager won't work for our phone. You can use goo manager to install twrp or flashify to install either recovery

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Tapatalk

Ahh gotcha, while I don't really do the custom ROMs or kernels anymore I guess I am glad I stayed on MDK. Now a days I just stay on the Stock ROM, but still rooted with custom recovery.

Thanks for your help.