Voice calls on 3g Nexus 7

Search This thread

zhopudey

Oct 18, 2009
Eagerly awaiting the results here :) My phone got stolen today, so I need a new one soon. Hoping to use the nexus 7 as my primary phone.

Parafly

Mar 20, 2011
Uxbridge
www.alpinezone.com
Hey all,

Forgive me if this was covered earlier. I have a new Nexus 7 and use Google Voice exclusively. I followed the first half of the instructions here: http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=1823701 which worked fine (I can now receive calls via csipsimple and callcentral) but I couldn't get the outgoing portion to work. When trying to modify framework-res.apk i got errors (yes, JRe is installed).

Someone in that thread referenced me here - for an updated framework-res script by Clubtech?

you're using the old one. It does not work on 4.2

Check the 3G Nexus Voice calls thread...There's a new version of the utility cooked by clubtech.

What is this? a revised utility?

I am not interested in using GrooveIP or Talkatone since it eats up your ability to call from a computer direclty, which i use all the time.

Nic091

Nov 15, 2012
Hey,

it's a non-stable version, you can try it or wait for the next release.

Last edited:

kRt_uK

Apr 7, 2009
We are testing the Framework.apk mod in ours N7 ok?
Whats about the .odex and .jar files? Doesn't need it to be moded as well?
I asked help from one distinguish developer here but no answer. Maybe if we ask to that guys they could make it very easy.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using xda app-developers app

ilegales

Jun 6, 2012
Gentlemen

been following this since it started

has anyone tested this on 4.1.1 - NOt the current 4.2 as that seems to have additional items which may be stopping this from working..

just an idea to test it on 4.1 version....

kRt_uK

Apr 7, 2009
Speaking of VoIP/SIP applications, has anyone gotten a bluetooth headset working? I can't. I was able to pair my Plantronics one with the tablet, but under "Profiles", it's blank. On my SGS3 phone, it shows that it supports voice calling. I can't even connect to the headset because there isn't anything to connect for. And even though I chose "Enable Bluetooth" in Bria, I can only use the speakerphone.

This is an interesting point because I can get my A2DP BT headphones working fine but the BT earpiece proper for cellular calls doesn't work.
Could be it a shared issue with the voice system?

andrewoc

Nov 12, 2012
Gentlemen

been following this since it started

has anyone tested this on 4.1.1 - NOt the current 4.2 as that seems to have additional items which may be stopping this from working..

just an idea to test it on 4.1 version....

I think there's no point of testing it on 4.1.1, because the 4.1.1 is for the version WIFI only, And the stock Rom for 3G version is begin with 4.2

2absentminded

Nov 17, 2012
Sacramento
I'm not sure if I'm stating the obvious here, but I took a gander at the FCC filing. The N7 3g has the intel xmm 6260 chipset. The modem itself supports voice. Also, for those who are gunning for T-mobile's faster hspa+ network....the 6260 is limited to 21 Mbps. I won't cry over that fast of a speed if I ever got it...

http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=1608837
This is the cross reference guide. See that the intel chipset corresponds to the BP XGOLD626. The same chipset is in that rather long list of phones and it seems that the devs have a bit of experience with it. Same chipset in the Galaxy Nexus and Galaxy s2. According to the intel site, it uses the same DSP SMARTi UE2. I'm going to guess that this is a firmware issue.

http://www.intel.com/content/www/us/en/wireless-products/mobile-communications/mobile-xmm-260-1.html

The intel product page if you're interested.

I'd pay a dev for this one to work... :D

Last edited:

Pesach85

Dec 20, 2010
Apricena
I'm dreaming to get a Nexus 7 3G 32GB, but without calls i'll definitely not get it and wait in future for another cheap quad-core tab-phone.

I'm not so much expert but the hardware section looks it is not missing: 3G signal receiver sender, microphone and speaker.

Just is not programmed to.

So what we need is an expert in C++ language and hardware :)

....and i'm sure that if we will found it we all will be very generous on donating, is not right?

Hopefully it's possible and we will get it :)

Shurafa

Apr 22, 2007
I'm dreaming to get a Nexus 7 3G 32GB, but without calls i'll definitely not get it and wait in future for another cheap quad-core tab-phone.

I'm not so much expert but the hardware section looks it is not missing: 3G signal receiver sender, microphone and speaker.

Just is not programmed to.

So what we need is an expert in C++ language and hardware :)

....and i'm sure that if we will found it we all will be very generous on donating, is not right?

Hopefully it's possible and we will get it :)

I would be willing to donate if someone wants to put up a bounty thread on getting the dialer to work with the Nexus 7 3g

Synman

Recognized Developer
The native dialer is working fine with sip apps such as groove IP. It also transitions fine with sipdroid but I couldn't get the pbxes stuff working reliably.

The base bands are significantly different naming wise between the N73G and i9250. If they use the same hardware there is certainly still hope if you can find a carrier that will grant voice gsm to an N7 imei.

In the meantime I'm rocking sip and SMS and have no complaints.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk 2

Ather

Retired Senior Moderator
May 26, 2007
what if we try getting the required files from a working phablet? many chinese tablets support calling i think...

bigbusa

Nov 15, 2012
I would be willing to donate if someone wants to put up a bounty thread on getting the dialer to work with the Nexus 7 3g

Bump, same here

Lets get a pool going for 1st person to find a hack that can be done with easy to follow instructions for anyone. and the tools requires easily downloadable.

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    I'm not sure if I'm stating the obvious here, but I took a gander at the FCC filing. The N7 3g has the intel xmm 6260 chipset. The modem itself supports voice. Also, for those who are gunning for T-mobile's faster hspa+ network....the 6260 is limited to 21 Mbps. I won't cry over that fast of a speed if I ever got it...
    People, you are getting out off the topic.

We are talking about Voice Calls on N7 3G. Not about shiping times and dates... Ok ?

Regards
    Im pretty sure you will need to change the framework-res.apk .. decompile it and find the bools.xml and change voice_enabled to true, I did that and was able to add a sip account and make calls over my bluetooth headset.. it isn't perfect but works 90% of the time. Might allow the 3g to work though.

I had a utility that would allow you to decompile the framework and then would recompile it and sign it. Then you would install the update.zip via CWM to update the changed framework-res.

Some one could try it .. once i set voice_enabled to true the native dialer popped up with no need to install any additional apk's
    I just recompiled the framework file from the previous page. What version was it taken from (I don't have the 3g n7 myself)?

Sent from my Nexus 7 using xda premium

The Framework was from the latest update JOP40C

---------- Post added at 07:53 PM ---------- Previous post was at 07:32 PM ----------

OK, I have installed the revised Framework,

ON THE PLUS SIDE

Now have a Phone App that can be accessed

ON THE NEGATIVE SIDE

Still Cannot Make or Take Calls ;-(

If you attempt an outbound call it single bleeps as soon as the number is dialled and the call does not go through

Trying to dial into the Nexus 7, the originating phone calls for 30 secs and then goes to Voicemail, whereas if the sim is not in the nexus it goes straight to voicemail, so the network knows the sim is active
    attached is the modded file. unzip the attached file. backup current file on the device and replace with this file. make sure you backup your current file first!!!

do NOT TRY THIS UNLESS YOU KNOW WHAT YOU ARE DOING.