Fix for build quality issues.

Search This thread

timeToy

Aug 3, 2010
I just received my HTC One developer edition, and like others, there are some build quality issues, most notably the screen is not lined up with the rest of the front of the phone (ie, you can feel the screen glass grabbing your finger when you swipe down to pull the notifications panel)

It was not too bad of an issue when comparing to others from YouTube, also I bought the phone from HTC, so there is no way for me to exchange it at AT&T.

So I decided to fix it.

- Heat up the screen with a heat gun on low or a hair dryer on high. Make sure you keep on moving the heat source in figure 8 and keep the heat source around 10 inches away from the screen. Do this for around 5 minutes, the phone needs to be hot, uncomfortable to hold, but still you should be able to hold it with your bare hands.
- Protect the screen and back of the phone. Clamp the top of the screen. Wait for the phone to cool. Release the clamps.

This worked wonderfully for me, the screen is now flush with the body, I can't feel it when I run my finger on the edge between the screen and the body.

picture.php

jcracken

Oct 5, 2011
Litchfield Park
I'm going to have to try this--I didn't want to send my phone back to AT&T because that would be a hassle but at the same time I really hated how i could feel the little lip every time I pulled down the notification shade.

rockd0gg

Sep 10, 2008
Good fix thanks for posting. This is what ifixit actually does to remove the screen. Hot air melts the glue so you can take off the screen or adjust it.

A sidenote: If you heat the phone up too much the battery degrades so be careful.

beforedenied

Feb 21, 2011
Santa Rosa
This isn't a fix for all build quality issues.. one fix for the gap inbetween bezel and speaker grills is put a TPU case on it. It will squeeze it together and make the gap go away.

Sent from my HTC One using xda premium

Reactions: Jagerzero

fineazbro

Jan 24, 2011
hollywood
well im on my second one right now you can feel the screen glass grabbing your finger when you swipe down to pull the notifications panel on both of them i don't even know if i should exchange again, but it feel like the screen is about to cut my finger, when swiping down its really anoying

LenAsh

Retired Forum Moderator
Mar 20, 2011
Midlands, UK
This is similar to how we fixed the early Nexus 7s. Asus had issues with the left hand side of the screen being proud of the bezel. The fix was to warm the periphery of the screen to re-soften the adhesive and then place heavy books on the screen and leave for a few hours... worked a treat.

Sent from my GT-I9300 using xda premium

Reactions: cuyo11

eallan

Apr 23, 2010
I think I will try this before I bother with AT&T. I just hate having to deal with them for anything at all.

Andrmgic

Jul 19, 2010
This improved things on my "One" as well.

now if I could just get something to close the minor gaps between the speaker grills and the plastic..

I'm thinking about using a bit of krazy glue and working it into the opening and putting my clamps back on until it dries.

This phone will be close to perfect, even if I have to help it along myself :D

billyapd21

Nov 28, 2007
This improved things on my "One" as well.

now if I could just get something to close the minor gaps between the speaker grills and the plastic..

I'm thinking about using a bit of krazy glue and working it into the opening and putting my clamps back on until it dries.

This phone will be close to perfect, even if I have to help it along myself :D

Let me know if this works for you. I was thinking the same thing.

Sent from my HTCONE using Tapatalk 2

HotInEER

May 22, 2010
Frederick, MD
Let me know if this works for you. I was thinking the same thing.

Sent from my HTCONE using Tapatalk 2

WOW...Let me know how that works also. I'm trying to not let the small gap bother me, but i'm worried over time that dirt or moisture will get in there and mess some things up. The issue comes from the speakers not being part of the 1 solid piece of aluminum but are snapped on later. This is why in the drop tests the speakers came off on some of them.

Andrmgic

Jul 19, 2010
going to grab some toothpicks + krazy glue on the way home and see what can be done about the gaps.

Thanks to the procedure in the OP, my glass is now flush with the speaker grill on the top of the device. Much more pleasant to pull down the notification shade now.

Trying to do the same with the lower speaker grill, but it's not as big a deal as the top one.

mettleh3d

Oct 16, 2011
Nice. Will have to pick up some clamps from Home Depot...I do definitely feel the overhang when pulling the noti shade. You know over extended use, the grime from our fingers will deposit there. ugh

Hope I dont shatter the screen.. lol.

noesilva

Sep 27, 2010
The top and bottom speaker grills are glued on as well so they might not have let them set long enough causing that seperation. As for the light bleed sheesh , im sure theyre rushing to meet demand, but what good does it do if they deliver an inferior product

Sent from my Nexus 4 using Tapatalk 2

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    I just received my HTC One developer edition, and like others, there are some build quality issues, most notably the screen is not lined up with the rest of the front of the phone (ie, you can feel the screen glass grabbing your finger when you swipe down to pull the notifications panel)

It was not too bad of an issue when comparing to others from YouTube, also I bought the phone from HTC, so there is no way for me to exchange it at AT&T.

So I decided to fix it.

- Heat up the screen with a heat gun on low or a hair dryer on high. Make sure you keep on moving the heat source in figure 8 and keep the heat source around 10 inches away from the screen. Do this for around 5 minutes, the phone needs to be hot, uncomfortable to hold, but still you should be able to hold it with your bare hands.
    - Protect the screen and back of the phone. Clamp the top of the screen. Wait for the phone to cool. Release the clamps.

This worked wonderfully for me, the screen is now flush with the body, I can't feel it when I run my finger on the edge between the screen and the body.

picture.php
    Thank god I don't have this issue, this is way too crazy of a fix for me O_O
    This isn't a fix for all build quality issues.. one fix for the gap inbetween bezel and speaker grills is put a TPU case on it. It will squeeze it together and make the gap go away.

Sent from my HTC One using xda premium
    ...This is a rather extreme fix.
    This is similar to how we fixed the early Nexus 7s. Asus had issues with the left hand side of the screen being proud of the bezel. The fix was to warm the periphery of the screen to re-soften the adhesive and then place heavy books on the screen and leave for a few hours... worked a treat.

Sent from my GT-I9300 using xda premium