[Q] /storage/emulated/0 not accessible

Search This thread
Feb 16, 2007
I would appreciate some help with the following issue:

After upgrading android to 4.4.2, the directory /storage/emulated/0 became inaccessible to the apps using it, such as GO Contacts EX (export contacts), viber and sms backups, among many. Whenever I can set the directory to the external SD card I am able to make backups, but not otherwise. The phone is rooted, and if using root explorer I can browse this directory and permissions on it appears to be fine (on storage and emulated the are rwxr-x--x, on 0rwxrwx--x)

Please advise how to resolve this issue.

Thanks,

spamtrash

Nov 9, 2008
Krasnoyarsk
I would appreciate some help with the following issue:

After upgrading android to 4.4.2, the directory /storage/emulated/0 became inaccessible to the apps using it, such as GO Contacts EX (export contacts), viber and sms backups, among many. Whenever I can set the directory to the external SD card I am able to make backups, but not otherwise. The phone is rooted, and if using root explorer I can browse this directory and permissions on it appears to be fine (on storage and emulated the are rwxr-x--x, on 0rwxrwx--x)

Please advise how to resolve this issue.

Thanks,

using this useful tool would most likely sort the problem for you...

spamtrash

Nov 9, 2008
Krasnoyarsk
Thanks for getting back to me. Unfortunately this did not fix the issue. I tried also to change the configuration of the permissions.xml as discussed in other topics, but that did not help either.

I would appreciate any other ideas on the topic.

1. IF you are able to access the card with explorer (NOT root explorer)
2. IF the installed apps cannot access it
THEN I'd check the name of card, if its mounting point changed etc. In that case, reinstallation of app could potentially sort out the issue.

Feb 16, 2007
1. IF you are able to access the card with explorer (NOT root explorer)
2. IF the installed apps cannot access it
THEN I'd check the name of card, if its mounting point changed etc. In that case, reinstallation of app could potentially sort out the issue.

Thanks again for the suggestions. One thing that apparently I am not clear is whether this directory is part of the internal memory. So far I thought it was, and it was emulating external storage, while being an internal memory. Otherwise I can access it, and reinstalling an app did not help - the issue still persists in its original state. Also, I tried changing the permissions of the directories with root explorer to rwxrwxrwx, and I was able for the /storage and /storage/emulated, but not for /storage/emulated/0, where I got an error message that the operation failed.

I would gladly do a backup and revert back to 4.3, but I cannot do backups of anything, mostly I care about my viber and whatsapp messages (they also fail to create backups).

Thanks,

Feb 16, 2007
Beside other things, you cannot return back because of different bootloader. since you are with 4.4.2, you are with 4.4.2 or HIGHER. Period.

I see, so I am stuck with the 4.4.2, which is too bad but it is what it is. I guess it is a hard reset without a backup then, and if that doesn't work, off the phone goes to the garbage...

bored_stupid

Jul 10, 2011
Hereford
Did you not get su prompt to disable Knox when first rooted. I did and I have read/write access to both internal and external SD card.
Also froze all Knox related apps with TB.
Sent from my Nexus 7 using XDA Premium 4 mobile app

Feb 16, 2007
Did you not get su prompt to disable Knox when first rooted. I did and I have read/write access to both internal and external SD card.
Also froze all Knox related apps with TB.
Sent from my Nexus 7 using XDA Premium 4 mobile app

Hard reset and installation of CM 10.2 based on android 4.3 resolved the issue. After this I would advise noone to upgrade to 4.4.

Thanks to everyone who helped with the issue.