[HOW TO] Root Motorola Defy

Search This thread

pedrodh

Retired Recognized Developer
Oct 19, 2009
www.pedronveloso.com
I've seen that there's no topic teaching how to ROOT the phone in the forum yet, so I'm making one myself, I hope this will help users who come here looking for info.

This method was originally found by jboogie3 here http://modmymobile.com/forums/637-motorola-defy-general/557910-motorola-defy-root-droid2method.html

EDIT: If you have version 2.51 ROOT with another way, check out this topic: http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=889133

Let's get started:

1. Put the phone in Debug Mode: Go to Settings > Applications > Development and check USB debugging box.

2. Extract the files from the zip below, connect the phone via USB, and copy them to the phone via ADB like this:

Code:
adb push Superuser.apk /sdcard/Superuser.apk
adb push su /sdcard/su
adb push busybox /sdcard/busybox
adb push exploit.bin /data/local/tmp/exploit.bin

3. Now we enter the phone's internal shell, also using ADB:

Code:
adb shell

4. Then we take advantage of the "fake" root exploit:

Code:
cd /data/local/tmp
chmod 0755 exploit.bin
./exploit.bin

5. Now after that last command you should be back to your normal console, not the phone one, so we need to connect to it again, and doing so we should now see that we have root permissions since the "#" symbol is displayed instead of "$".

Code:
adb shell

6. Now we mount the /system partition as writable and copy the necessary files there, and set them with the right permissions:

Code:
mount -o rw,remount -t ext3 /dev/block/mmcblk1p21 /system
cp /sdcard/Superuser.apk /system/app/Superuser.apk
cp /sdcard/su /system/bin/su
cp /sdcard/busybox /system/bin/busybox
chmod 4755 /system/bin/su
chmod 4755 /system/bin/busybox
mount -o ro,remount -t ext3 /dev/block/mmcblk1p21 /system
exit

7. Restart the phone and check if you have ROOT in a terminal by typing the "su" command, or by installing any other app that requires ROOT, and seeing it the SuperUser app pops up.

Attachments

• Droid2Root.rar
    954.1 KB · Views: 30,581
Last edited:

pedrodh

Oct 19, 2009
www.pedronveloso.com
Many people reported z4root to work, but somehow it didn't work for me :\, phone reboot 2 times, but root wasn't being recognized system wide. But yeah, there's no problem testing that first, if it works for you it's way simpler ;)

disturkis4u

Aug 27, 2009
Worked well for me. Almost too easy.

Thank you for the great write up though.

Many people reported z4root to work, but somehow it didn't work for me :\, phone reboot 2 times, but root wasn't being recognized system wide. But yeah, there's no problem testing that first, if it works for you it's way simpler ;)

Sent from my MB525 using XDA App

thomi

Nov 28, 2010
Thanks for posting and distur for the z4root tip, worked for me.

ojobojo

Nov 17, 2010
z4root worked for me as well. no issues and running for more than a week now rooted. haven't tried the unroot function yet...

htc-xda

Mar 1, 2010
london
root

are we talking super 1 click, rooted mine 1st day i got it same method as droid no probs so far, all the crap from vodafone gone now, waiting for a nice rom

nhuloan

Jan 9, 2009
htown
hi first time android newbie here-

i downloaded and install z4root - how do i confirmed the device was rooted?

nitewalkergr

Nov 15, 2010
After rooting, in your application drawer (middle button that brings up all your apps) you'll see the superuser app. It looks like an android skull and crossbones.

croxley

Jan 23, 2009
I have a Motorola Defy on T-Mobile UK, If I use z4root will this enable me to root my phone.

Exactly what does rooting achieve, Will it allow me to try another rom?

pedrodh

Oct 19, 2009
www.pedronveloso.com
Yes, z4root will let you achieve root on this phone.

ROOT has nothing or very little to do with custom ROMs, ROOT it's the Unix super user, the administrator per say. With it certain apps that modify system properties will work (search Android Market for "root"), and also it enables you to do all sorts of crazy stuff on the phone, like literaly modify any file. So if for example there's an app that bundles with the phone, and that you normaly couldn't unistall it, with ROOT you can just delete the app, and that's it ;). That's and many more things, although root it's most usufull for developers or hackers than the normal user. It's not like jailbreaking an Iphone, Android it's already open enough for the regular user.

croxley

Jan 23, 2009
If I root the Motorola Defy and I delete some files because I not familiar with this, will I make my Motorola Defy dead.

Sqoerk

Jun 2, 2009
If I root the Motorola Defy and I delete some files because I not familiar with this, will I make my Motorola Defy dead.

Rooting doesn't delete files ;) If you've rooted your phone, you won't be able to just go to the system folder and delete something. You need tools like "root exporer" for this. This is a payware. When you rooted your phone, this root explorer can ask you for more rights. These are needed to delete needed files. Also you can do it for free with the androidSDK. Have a look here: http://xdaforums.com/showpost.php?p=9456771&postcount=1

but be: don't do thinks where you don't know to get it undone. You CAN brick your phone and then you'll have to spend much time to get it back working. ;)

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    I've seen that there's no topic teaching how to ROOT the phone in the forum yet, so I'm making one myself, I hope this will help users who come here looking for info.

This method was originally found by jboogie3 here http://modmymobile.com/forums/637-motorola-defy-general/557910-motorola-defy-root-droid2method.html

EDIT: If you have version 2.51 ROOT with another way, check out this topic: http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=889133

Let's get started:

1. Put the phone in Debug Mode: Go to Settings > Applications > Development and check USB debugging box.

2. Extract the files from the zip below, connect the phone via USB, and copy them to the phone via ADB like this:

Code:
    adb push Superuser.apk /sdcard/Superuser.apk
    adb push su /sdcard/su
    adb push busybox /sdcard/busybox
    adb push exploit.bin /data/local/tmp/exploit.bin

3. Now we enter the phone's internal shell, also using ADB:

Code:
    adb shell

4. Then we take advantage of the "fake" root exploit:

Code:
    cd /data/local/tmp
    chmod 0755 exploit.bin
    ./exploit.bin

5. Now after that last command you should be back to your normal console, not the phone one, so we need to connect to it again, and doing so we should now see that we have root permissions since the "#" symbol is displayed instead of "$".

Code:
    adb shell

6. Now we mount the /system partition as writable and copy the necessary files there, and set them with the right permissions:

Code:
    mount -o rw,remount -t ext3 /dev/block/mmcblk1p21 /system
    cp /sdcard/Superuser.apk /system/app/Superuser.apk
    cp /sdcard/su /system/bin/su
    cp /sdcard/busybox /system/bin/busybox
    chmod 4755 /system/bin/su
    chmod 4755 /system/bin/busybox
    mount -o ro,remount -t ext3 /dev/block/mmcblk1p21 /system
    exit

7. Restart the phone and check if you have ROOT in a terminal by typing the "su" command, or by installing any other app that requires ROOT, and seeing it the SuperUser app pops up.
    Or, download z4root by ryan in the market. Click permanent root, done.

I think its bull how these site are giving you credit for rooting this phone even thought i was the first to root this back in october before the phone was even out!I have a thread and everything at m3 http://modmymobile.com/forums/637-motorola-defy-general/557910-motorola-defy-root-droid2method.html
    ya i know you can use z4root now but man i sure deserve some props for this smh...
    I updated my thread about rooting it. Full instruction and working links. DFP-188, DFP-231, DFP-2311 BL7 Finally Rooted
    after step 4 when i try to connect my phone it says "error: device not found" i dont get it its driving me crazy!! win 7 64bit btw. any help is very much appreciated. thank you :(