Motorola Bootloader Petition (>10K sigs & Moto Response)

Search This thread

ikenley

Jun 16, 2010
Melbourne
Visit Groubal and sign the petition: http://www.groubal.com/motorola-lockedencrypted-bootloader-policy/

Retweet: http://twitter.com/#!/ibproud/status/52265679990169600

New Facebook Page: http://www.facebook.com/pages/Unlock-Motorola/115620798518187

UPDATE (14th June 2011):

We are now over the 10,000 mark.

I have now spoken with Motorola and gotten confirmation that Motorola plan to unlock every device that will get an update in the second half of this year. This will include maintenance & firmware updates, but is still subject to Carrier approval.

The promising sign is that Verizon has already allowed Motorola to unlock a device on their network, the Xoom, which utilizes the unlockable/re-lockable model that Motorola intends on using across their devices.

I'm still looking to work with Motorola in the coming months to help see if we can make this a smooth process for Motorola and the community.

You can read the article here:
http://ausdroid.net/2011/06/14/an-u...witter&utm_campaign=Feed:+ausdroid+(Ausdroid)

Please share this where you can and keep it alive. I will continue to work with Motorola to see if we can get this thing torn wide open.

UPDATE (26th April 2011):

We are now at ~8,700 mark.

Motorola has now responded to me, stating that they are looking at unlocking bootloaders across their devices late 2011.

The article for the story can be found here:
http://ausdroid.net/2011/04/26/the-little-aussie-taking-on-motorola-u-s/#more-8184

We're still seeking clarity around whether this will be for current devices or only future devices.

I couldn't have gotten this far without the support of everyone here. You guys and girls have been a huge support and help me turn this snowball into a wrecking ball.

Please share this where you can and keep it alive. I will continue to work with Motorola to see if we can get this thing torn wide open.

Previous Update (4th April 2011):

We are now at ~7600 mark.

We're starting to slow down from our initial boom, so I have now set up a Facebook page to see if we can wrangle in some supporters that don't use Twitter or XDA.

I will need your help getting this out there. So share the facebook page where you can.

I'm also looking to see if anyone is interested in helping me Moderate the page. Please PM if you are.

Original Post:
Hi All,

I have created a Groubal (online petition) to get a response from Motorola on it's bootloader policy.

>>This petition started for the Atrix, but I made sure that it was for Motorola's overall Bootloader Policy. I have reached 200 signatures in 2 weeks, but now believe it's time to expand this out of the Atrix space and into the larger Motorola Dev community.

Last edited:

rocko73

Jan 30, 2011
If this much effort was put into ROM tweaking we wouldn't need the bootloader unlocked.

Feb 15, 2011
What would be the possibility of creating an app like SETI@Home that can share the load and distribute a brute force hacking attempt?

Sent from my DROIDX using XDA App

Last edited:

ikenley

Jun 16, 2010
Melbourne
What would be the possibility of creating an app like SETI@Home that can share the load and distribute a brute force having attempt?

Could happen, but the 2 key Devs on the Atrix at the moment are looking at bypassing rather than breaking the bootloader.
They have both admitted to not knowing much about Cryptography.

Zaphod-Beeblebrox

Dec 3, 2009
Virginia
You do know that there about half a dozen of these petitions already circulating.
They get some steam everytime there is an 'event' surrounding the bootloader, and then they die out just as quickly.

Rather than repeating the cycle, how about 'SEARCHING' for one of the other threads/petitions, and breathe some life into it.

ikenley

Jun 16, 2010
Melbourne
You do know that there about half a dozen of these petitions already circulating.
They get some steam everytime there is an 'event' surrounding the bootloader, and then they die out just as quickly.

Rather than repeating the cycle, how about 'SEARCHING' for one of the other threads/petitions, and breathe some life into it.

I appreciate the feedback. I did make sure to reference the other significant petition in the Droid X forum, unfortunately the petition on the other one is through an outdated site and Groubal isn't just a petition, once enough interest has been shown for a particular complaint, they have a group that will personally get involved.
Not sure how effective it will be, just thought it was a good approach.

ikenley

Jun 16, 2010
Melbourne
Any idea how many signatures we would need to get some attention?

I think around the 1000 mark, Groubal themselves will get involved. If you look at their home page, you will see that the 2 leading Groubals on there marked "Company Response" had around 1100.

AT&T even committed to the HSUPA fix in April. Not sure how much of that was a direct result of Groubal, but it's all very promising.

That's why I strongly encourage everyone to share this as much as they can.
Even if you're cynical, you spend just as much time discounting this than spreading it.

Consider all the other forums and social mediums you use and get it out there.

ikenley

Jun 16, 2010
Melbourne
Ok guys, we now have nearly 800 signatures, nearly 500 in one night alone.

Keep up the great work everyone, this wouldn't be going anywhere without your support.

Sent from my Atrix (in Australia)

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    I never sign these things, but I signed this one.
    Sorry, crappy day, shouldn't have posted it. I too wish they would listen to the masses.
    That's a lot of signatures. Figure motorola is counting on most people not understanding, but if every signature represents a person with a clue then they are probably the people 2 or 3 people go to for tech advice on which phone to get...take that number of people times whatever a phone and contact are worth and that's a ton of money.

Edit: id say motorola better start paying attention or shortly this will put out a lot of plublicity and hit the pocket book.

That's the plan.

Stage 1: Post Groubal & get the numbers
    Stage 2: Get people reposting = more numbers
    Stage 3: Get Facebook Group going = more numbers
    Stage 4: Attract News Sites = more numbers
    Stage 5: Fingers crossed, Motorola makes an announcement (unlocked bootloaders)
    Stage 6: Thank everyone that participated and possibly advocate Motorola products. Reward them for their outcome (provided it's the right outcome)