[CLOSED][GUIDE] HOW TO POST: Understanding the UI in posting

Status
Not open for further replies.
Search This thread

saywhatt

Inactive Recognized Contributor
Apr 17, 2012
Land of Ooo
Hello New Users! (I prefer the term "New User" rather than "noob" :p ) This is a thread on some functions you can see whenever you make a post on a thread.

So let's get started!

First thing's first.. you gotta click on POST REPLY
19257960.png

You will then see this

SCARED? Don't be :) Here's a guide on how to make a good post content

Let's dissect those functions!
69627076.jpg

1 MAKE A TITLE!
-you can make a name or a title for your post, although it is completely unnecessary to do so. Make sure your title is appropriate

2 FONTS AND SIZES
- You can click on the dropdown arrows to change the font and sizes for your post

3 FONT COLOR
-Change your font's color to whatever you like

4 SMILIES! :D
-You can add graphical smilies to put some life on your post

5 ATTACHMENTS
-Attach your desired files and upload them to your post, attachments will be found below the post

6 UNDO and REDO
-Well, it's pretty much the same when you click on Ctrl+Z (Undo) and Ctrl+Y (Redo)

7 INCREASE SIZE
- This will increase the size of your post body, this is a great advantage especially when you try to recheck your post ;)

8 YOUTUBE TAGS
-For all your awesome yt tags :p Tags are things you put down that are related to your video and will help people find your video easier. It is like categories almost. More info: HERE

9 PHP WRAP
-This is commonly used when you post codes. It goes a little something like this

10 HTML TAGS
-HTML tags are keywords (tag names) surrounded by angle brackets. Here's for more INFO11 CODE WRAP
-Wrap your codes here! a good way to lessen confusion when posting especially when you put on codes

12 QUOTE WRAP
-Another WRAP function, this is commonly used to quote someone else's post

13 IMAGE LINK
-You can attach an image in the middle of your post

14 EMAIL LINK
-You can insert an email link here if ever needed and make the link into clickable text.. clicking on the text will lead you to Microsoft Outlook

15 ADD and REMOVE LINK
-This can be used to wrap an ordinary text and make it into a clickable text that will lead you to whatever link you hid

16 LIST and INDENTS
-This serves the same functionality like that of in Microsoft Word ;)

17 ALIGNMENTS
-Align your text either leaning on the right or left, or center. Also, This serves the same functionality like that of in Microsoft Word ;)

18 BOLD, ITALIC, UNDERLINE
-Bold: Renders the text with a strong emphasis which is usually heavier than surrounding text.
-Italic: Italicises the selected text which usually appears slanted to the right.
-Underline: Adds a line under the selected text.

19 REMOVE TEXT FORMAT
-This will remove all your text formats. Formatted text, styled text or rich text, as opposed to plain text, has styling information beyond the minimum of semantic elements: colours, styles (boldface, italic), sizes and special features (such as hyperlinks).

20 TEXT BODY
- This is where you will see all your typed words XD

Just below the TEXT BODY, you will see POST ICONS

-They are optional. If you choose one of the icons and you have clicked submit, you will see at the left side of your post's title: the Post Icon you chose earlier

qwerth.png

Below POST ICONS, you will find ADDITIONAL OPTIONS

qwertl.png

21 MISCELLANEOUS OPTIONS
Show your signature: Tick this box if you want to show your sig or not
Automatically parse links in text: Tick this box if you wanna see links on text
Disable smilies in text: Tick this if you wanna disable smilies

22 ATTACH FILES
Manage your file attachments! Upload them. Here are the list of valid file extensions
*7z apk bmp bz2 c cab cab2 diff doc docx gif gz h img jar jpe jpeg jpg jps mtz patch
pdf png psd rar tar torrent txt wma xap xls xlsx zip

23 THREAD SUBSCRIPTION
If you want to subscribe or not.. meaning you'll receive notifications

24 RATE THREAD
Rate the thread with a star, 2 stars, 3 stars, 4 stars, or an excellent 5 stars. [/QUOTE]

THERE YOU HAVE IT. YOU MAY NOW CLICK ON SUBMIT REPLY

PM ME YOUR QUERIES IN MIND REGARDING THIS THREAD :)

Last edited:

coolsandie

Oct 22, 2011
Kochi, Kerala
coolsandie.github.io
Good guide. Your first quote after POST REPLY didn't seem to work correctly however. :)

Yes, its because the image URL is linked from attachments. I don't know how, but the URL (in attachments) changes from time-to-time. ie,

the original url : http://dl.xda-developers.com/attachdl/69808bc1673cb4d05bfb5048e208c9b0/506d83a1/1/3/7/4/9/4/2/asd.jpg

Now the URL is : http://dl.xda-developers.com/attachdl/fb23e0b5ec01b7962ec67603493c4dae/506da0aa/1/3/7/4/9/4/2/asd.jpg

So it would be better if the image is uploaded in Image hosting servers like Imgur or Imageshack or even dropbox etc.

Reactions: rohit83

saywhatt

Inactive Recognized Contributor
Apr 17, 2012
Land of Ooo
Yes, its because the image URL is linked from attachments. I don't know how, but the URL (in attachments) changes from time-to-time. ie,

the original url : http://dl.xda-developers.com/attachdl/69808bc1673cb4d05bfb5048e208c9b0/506d83a1/1/3/7/4/9/4/2/asd.jpg

Now the URL is : http://dl.xda-developers.com/attachdl/fb23e0b5ec01b7962ec67603493c4dae/506da0aa/1/3/7/4/9/4/2/asd.jpg

So it would be better if the image is uploaded in Image hosting servers like Imgur or Imageshack or even dropbox etc.

yes yes :cyclops: i shall buddy

EDIT: JUST UPDATED THE OP :))) I HOPE THIS CAN HELP SOME NEW USERS HERE

Last edited:
Reactions: rohit83

seedrom193

Dec 27, 2011
lebanon
www.twitter.com
Something strange happened when I MAKE A THREAD the forum can't read my Dropbox updated images...why is that?

sent from the super siii mini GT-I8190 using xda premium app.

NeoS

Inactive Recognized Developer / Retired Senior Mod
Jan 27, 2008
Somewhere in NL
Just as a reminder for the people who think they can up their postcount with cleaver remarks like: "I CAN POST NAO?":

Your posts will be deleted.

Reactions: stamatis and mikef

sylvernick

Aug 28, 2012
Asunción
Really very usefull post. I'm a new user and I not use very well the post system. With this now I will post in good way. Thanks.

Enviado desde mi GT-I9300 usando Tapatalk 2

pakman023

Jan 27, 2012
Hi all,
I've been registered for a few months now, but never took the time to introduce myself :eek:
I was following the O2x development since I've discovered the galaxy note a few weeks ago.
I'd like to thank all the developers for their great work!
Good going (I'm a poker player too by the way) :D

Envoyé avec ma brique Galaxy Note.

Reactions: prakashreddy
B

Bruce Wayne

hiii every one i don't want to become a good dev but i want to become a good lerner

I appreciate that.
You should read more for that. It will increase your knowledge, which you can use to help others.
And thats what xda is all about, read, learn, share.

Btw welcome to xda:)
Complete your 10 posts in q&a/general sections helping others, asking your questions/doubts.

Ps. If you learn you will automatically get into developement, leading to make you a dev;)

A Hero Can Be Anyone

Last edited:

prakashreddy

Apr 26, 2013
nice to meet u @bruce wayne

I appreciate that.
You should read more for that. It will increase your knowledge, which you can use to help others.
And thats what xda is all about, read, learn, share.

Btw welcome to xda
Complete your 10 posts in q&a/general sections helping others, asking your questions/doubts.

Ps. If you learn you will automatically get into developement, leading to make you a dev

oohhh... thanks mr.bruce wayne sound's good :eek: i'll try my level best ! thnx for your support have a good day

Status
Not open for further replies.

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    Hello New Users! (I prefer the term "New User" rather than "noob" :p ) This is a thread on some functions you can see whenever you make a post on a thread.

So let's get started!

First thing's first.. you gotta click on POST REPLY
    19257960.png

You will then see this

SCARED? Don't be :) Here's a guide on how to make a good post content

Let's dissect those functions!
    69627076.jpg

1 MAKE A TITLE!
    -you can make a name or a title for your post, although it is completely unnecessary to do so. Make sure your title is appropriate

2 FONTS AND SIZES
    - You can click on the dropdown arrows to change the font and sizes for your post

3 FONT COLOR
    -Change your font's color to whatever you like

4 SMILIES! :D
    -You can add graphical smilies to put some life on your post

5 ATTACHMENTS
    -Attach your desired files and upload them to your post, attachments will be found below the post

6 UNDO and REDO
    -Well, it's pretty much the same when you click on Ctrl+Z (Undo) and Ctrl+Y (Redo)

7 INCREASE SIZE
    - This will increase the size of your post body, this is a great advantage especially when you try to recheck your post ;)

8 YOUTUBE TAGS
    -For all your awesome yt tags :p Tags are things you put down that are related to your video and will help people find your video easier. It is like categories almost. More info: HERE

9 PHP WRAP
    -This is commonly used when you post codes. It goes a little something like this

10 HTML TAGS
    -HTML tags are keywords (tag names) surrounded by angle brackets. Here's for more INFO11 CODE WRAP
    -Wrap your codes here! a good way to lessen confusion when posting especially when you put on codes

12 QUOTE WRAP
    -Another WRAP function, this is commonly used to quote someone else's post

13 IMAGE LINK
    -You can attach an image in the middle of your post

14 EMAIL LINK
    -You can insert an email link here if ever needed and make the link into clickable text.. clicking on the text will lead you to Microsoft Outlook

15 ADD and REMOVE LINK
    -This can be used to wrap an ordinary text and make it into a clickable text that will lead you to whatever link you hid

16 LIST and INDENTS
    -This serves the same functionality like that of in Microsoft Word ;)

17 ALIGNMENTS
    -Align your text either leaning on the right or left, or center. Also, This serves the same functionality like that of in Microsoft Word ;)

18 BOLD, ITALIC, UNDERLINE
    -Bold: Renders the text with a strong emphasis which is usually heavier than surrounding text.
    -Italic: Italicises the selected text which usually appears slanted to the right.
    -Underline: Adds a line under the selected text.

19 REMOVE TEXT FORMAT
    -This will remove all your text formats. Formatted text, styled text or rich text, as opposed to plain text, has styling information beyond the minimum of semantic elements: colours, styles (boldface, italic), sizes and special features (such as hyperlinks).

20 TEXT BODY
    - This is where you will see all your typed words XD

Just below the TEXT BODY, you will see POST ICONS

-They are optional. If you choose one of the icons and you have clicked submit, you will see at the left side of your post's title: the Post Icon you chose earlier

qwerth.png

Below POST ICONS, you will find ADDITIONAL OPTIONS

qwertl.png

21 MISCELLANEOUS OPTIONS
    Show your signature: Tick this box if you want to show your sig or not
    Automatically parse links in text: Tick this box if you wanna see links on text
    Disable smilies in text: Tick this if you wanna disable smilies

22 ATTACH FILES
    Manage your file attachments! Upload them. Here are the list of valid file extensions
    *7z apk bmp bz2 c cab cab2 diff doc docx gif gz h img jar jpe jpeg jpg jps mtz patch
    pdf png psd rar tar torrent txt wma xap xls xlsx zip

23 THREAD SUBSCRIPTION
    If you want to subscribe or not.. meaning you'll receive notifications

24 RATE THREAD
    Rate the thread with a star, 2 stars, 3 stars, 4 stars, or an excellent 5 stars. [/QUOTE]

THERE YOU HAVE IT. YOU MAY NOW CLICK ON SUBMIT REPLY

PM ME YOUR QUERIES IN MIND REGARDING THIS THREAD :)
    can you send the link to the page containing the button "Post new" ?
    This thread is from the days when XDA was born. Much water has flown under the bridge.

If you want the current guide to understanding the forum, please look HERE.
    Just as a reminder for the people who think they can up their postcount with cleaver remarks like: "I CAN POST NAO?":

Your posts will be deleted.
    Is this an extended Guide of this (Post#2) - http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=1873094

EDIT: Got it.

not entirely.. :p

Sent from my GT-I9300 using xda premium
    Good guide. Your first quote after POST REPLY didn't seem to work correctly however. :)