[Q] Won't boot rom or cwm recovery - only download mode

Search This thread

vetle666

Mar 30, 2011
Hi! I have encountered a problem, and really hope someone can help me!

Two days ago i flashed Omnirom Nightly on my n7105 to get Android 4.4. I was running cmw recovery but couldnt get the ota updates to work, so i was trying to flash open recovery instead. I used an apk that was supposed to install a script.

When i rebootet my phone, all i could get was the Note 2 boot image. It wont boot into recovery mode, or the rom. I am however able to boot into download mode.

Custom Binary download: Yes (4 counts).
Current binary: Custom
System Status: Custom.

How should i proceed? I've already tried to reflash cwm recovery, which did work, but didnt solve the problem. I am currently downloading stock firmware, but the file is 1.2 GB so it will take i while. Figured i should ask here in the meanwhile.

I'm not an expert at Android at all, im just a guy enjoying having custom roms and playing around a little. I do know that there are a lot of very talented people in this forum, and i really hope someone can help me find a solution. I've been googling for hours, but cant find anything that seems to work for me / or i dont fully understand and wont risk try before someone approves it.

Thank you, Vetle

EDIT: Is it correct that i cant flash any custom rom trough Odin? Or could i just flash omnirom again trough Odin?
If i manage to flash the stock rom and the bootloop goes away, will everything go back to normal, so i can flash cmw again and then a custom rom again?

Last edited:

antique_sonic

Aug 16, 2009
Corner of the earth
No custom rom can be flashed through odin, as most of them are zip cwm/twrp base.
When u can only go to download mode, an official firmware only can help u through odin. :)

Sent from SM-N9005 with xda-app

vetle666

Mar 30, 2011
Thanks for the answer!

Yup, i have flashed a stock rom now and i got the stock recovery. Everything was working fine.

Then i proceeded to do a factory reset in the stock recovery and flashed cwm trough Odin. When it was done, it wouldnt let me into recovery again! I can still boot up the phone tough.

I've also tried Open recovery. CWM via Rom manager. Open Recovery trough Goo Manager... Still cant get recovery to work, the stock rom works tough.

Any ideas?

vetle666

Mar 30, 2011
Okay, i tried to flash the stock rom again and installed Rom Manger.

It still showes TWRP and CWM under installed recovery and i guess these its these two who makes the problem.

My plan now is to figure out how to completely remove them. I've never done anything related to adb before, so i hope it possible to remove them in another way?

vetle666

Mar 30, 2011
This is so weird. Somehow i managed to install CWM Touch via Rom Manager and it booted. When i choose reboot /pull battery it will only boot straight into CWM again. I tried to flash TWRP via Odin, wich sucseeds, but then it reboots into CWM again!

I am soo lost its almost funny!

EDIT: Since i could get into cwm now, i tried to flash omnirom, but it aborts and all i get is status 7...?

EDIT2: Latest now is that i suddenly managed to install TWRP via Odin, but i still cant install the latest omnirom, all it says is "updating partition details".

Last edited:

rjdoli

Jun 29, 2007
This is so weird. Somehow i managed to install CWM Touch via Rom Manager and it booted. When i choose reboot /pull battery it will only boot straight into CWM again. I tried to flash TWRP via Odin, wich sucseeds, but then it reboots into CWM again!

I am soo lost its almost funny!

EDIT: Since i could get into cwm now, i tried to flash omnirom, but it aborts and all i get is status 7...?

EDIT2: Latest now is that i suddenly managed to install TWRP via Odin, but i still cant install the latest omnirom, all it says is "updating partition details".
I had recovery problems in the last few days also.
Installed DN3 rom using philz recovery, because its capable of prepare the phone to a new rom in a easy way.
It all went fine until first reboot.
I had a recovery boot loop. All I could see were some buttons and then reboot again.
Like you I had download access and flashed philz with Odin, but no luck.
Installed twrp via Odin and all was fine, and flashed philz new version.
Then I had to flash a new kernel (to be able to access wifi) and it all started again. Now I'm back on twrp.
Let's see what happens on my next flash.
My suggestion is to flash the recovery, and if that's OK flash the rom and use it :)
Next time you need recovery get Odin to help, but not all the way from an original rom. Just the custom recovery.
But if you want to get rid of your strange recovery configuration, and you are not already on new 4.3 recovery(which in your case could explain some of the problems you had) , with knox, install an older original rom, 4.1, and make all the steps, root it, install a custom recovery, and from there the room you want.
Reading your path sorting this problem, that was what would do next :)
Best regards