[Q] Help i am new - unlock bootloader - root- flash kernel otg [SOLVED]

Search This thread

thearing

Oct 28, 2013
Hello everybody!
I am from Argentina, sorry for my bad english!
I have a Nexus 4. The phone had never a modification...
I want get root access in the phone, i understand that i have to unlock the bootloader but...
if i install CM (following the easy steps of the website get.cm), this process may unlock the bootloader automatically? And could give me root access?

And another question:
if i install CM (following the easy steps of the website get.cm)...
Can i then flash the phone with "franco.kernel" to get USB OTG?

Thanks and very sorry for my bad english!

Last edited:

meatboy371

Dec 28, 2013
Samsung Galaxy J5
Moto G5S
Hello everybody!
I am from Argentina, sorry for my bad english!
I have a Nexus 4. The phone had never a modification...
I want get root access in the phone, i understand that i have to unlock the bootloader but...
if i install CM (following the easy steps of the website get.cm), this process may unlock the bootloader automatically? And could give me root access?

And another question:
if i install CM (following the easy steps of the website get.cm)...
Can i then flash the phone with "franco.kernel" to get USB OTG?

Thanks and very sorry for my bad english!

You need to unlock the bootloader in order to flash a custom rom. But it's easy! Here is a guide (including how to root):
http://xdaforums.com/nexus-4/help/guide-ultimate-nexus-4-root-guide-t2018179

About Franco Kernel... Franco's is AOSP based, CM is CAF. It may work, but with wrong colours (or it may cause bootloops). Look for a CM/CAF basedkernel with usb-otg support in the Development forum, or take a look at this thread:
http://xdaforums.com/nexus-4/development/kernel-patch-hells-core-kernel-otg-t2586524

thearing

Oct 28, 2013
You need to unlock the bootloader in order to flash a custom rom. But it's easy! Here is a guide (including how to root):

About Franco Kernel... Franco's is AOSP based, CM is CAF. It may work, but with wrong colours (or it may cause bootloops). Look for a CM/CAF basedkernel with usb-otg support in the Development forum, or take a look at this thread:
http://xdaforums.com/nexus-4/development/kernel-patch-hells-core-kernel-otg-t2586524

Hello meatboy371, thanks for your answer...
So, does the installation program of CM does not unlock the bootloader? I have to do it manually?
Look this (is a website):
wiki.cyanogenmod.org/w/CyanogenMod_Installer

Do I need to root my phone before installing?
No. You can have a rooted phone, or not. The installer doesn't care. However, to be in a supported configuration, you need to be running a stock ROM.
Do I need to unlock my bootloader first?
No, you don't. If your bootloader is locked, we'll unlock it for you.

So, can i install CM in my phone without any modifications?
And then, will the bootloader unlock automatically?

Thanks and sorry for my english!

Reactions: meatboy371

blusydays

Feb 13, 2012
So, does the installation program of CM does not unlock the bootloader? I have to do it manually?

The installer from Cyanogen WILL unlock your bootloader and root your N4 automatically, you don't need any third party app or doing it manually, I did it on my N4 when i got it and everything went fine ;) BUT the process will erase everything on your phone, so be aware of what your doing.

Last edited:
Reactions: meatboy371

thearing

Oct 28, 2013
The installer from Cyanogen WILL unlock your bootloader and root your N4 automatically, you don't need any third party app or doing it manually, I did it on my N4 when i got it and everything went fine ;) BUT the process will erase everything on your phone, so be aware of what your doing.

Wow, thanks brother!
I will install CM this night!"

Two questions more:
When i have installed CM from Cyanogen, change the recovery?
When i have installed CM from Cyanogen, can i then put the franco.kernel for get OTG?

Very very thanks and sorry for my english!

meatboy371

Dec 28, 2013
Samsung Galaxy J5
Moto G5S
Wow, thanks brother!
I will install CM this night!"

Two questions more:
When i have installed CM from Cyanogen, change the recovery?
When i have installed CM from Cyanogen, can i then put the franco.kernel for get OTG?

Very very thanks and sorry for my english!

I didn't know that CM installer unlocks the bootloader (i used to flash CM roms from recovery), thanks for the info.

About the kernel, you'll need to find a CM version of Franco's to work with CM roms, like I said before (look at development forum).
About the recovery, I don't know, but if it isn't changed by the CM installer, you can easily flash using fastboot. You can try TWRP, CMW or PhilZ, there are threads for those with step-by-step guides to flash.

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.

Do I need to root my phone before installing?
    No. You can have a rooted phone, or not. The installer doesn't care. However, to be in a supported configuration, you need to be running a stock ROM.
    Do I need to unlock my bootloader first?
    No, you don't. If your bootloader is locked, we'll unlock it for you.

So, can i install CM in my phone without any modifications?
    And then, will the bootloader unlock automatically?

Thanks and sorry for my english!