[Q] E980: "Your phone is not personalized"

Search This thread

Ttongsul

Jun 26, 2014
This has been a royal PITA so far (NIB AT&T, for use on Metro/T-Mobile). I've slowly fixed issues to get towards a working phone, but am not there yet. Fixed the access point entries not saving issue. Created an APN with numbers taken from my other working phone. My phone number is now back, listed under status. The wrong IMEI was there without a SIM, but went blank when the SIM was inserted. Now there is the wrong IMEI there no matter if the SIM is in or not. I also have a signal now, which wasn't the case before. I can also search for networks in the area & it returns several. No incoming calls, & outgoing calls gives me an "Emergency calls only" pop-up. It seems the issue I have left are not being able to connect to a network, which I thought might be a carrier lock issue, possibly tied to the mismatched IMEI's. That brings me to the post title. If I keypad in 2945#*980# I get to the unlock screen that says "SIM unlock process". There are 5 choices to click on, but everyone returns "Your phone is not personalized", with a dismiss button underneath that statement. Does the SIM need to be rewritten to match the one in the battery compartment?, & what to do about the SIM unlock screen?

Ttongsul

Jun 26, 2014
The phone was off overnight with no SIM installed. Fired it up & the screen said the SIM was missing, turn off, insert SIM, restart. I did that & now the message "phone not allowed mm#6" is on the screen.

henslo

May 4, 2012
Hickory
Google cell unlocker. For a small fee you can get unlocked.

Sent from my LG-E980 using XDA Free mobile app

henslo

May 4, 2012
Hickory
Ok.. Use Google. Your phone needs to be unlocked!

Sent from my LG-E980 using XDA Free mobile app

Ttongsul

Jun 26, 2014
I forgot to state that I contacted the seller & they didn't want the phone back. They directed me to a service center. I sent the phone out & received it back a few days ago. They voided my warranty & told me I was SOL. Now I'm thinking I need to buy something like an Octoplus Box, but can't get a definitive answer on whether it will work or not on my issues. Skip forward to today. Found a local place, visited them, & was told the phone is indeed unlocked. A prepaid AT&T SIM card connected to the network. A call to Metro resulted in them registering the screen IMEI to their network. The phone now works with my SIM card. Problem solved. That doesn't say much for the customer service of the seller or the warranty company.

Last edited:
Reactions: henslo

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    I forgot to state that I contacted the seller & they didn't want the phone back. They directed me to a service center. I sent the phone out & received it back a few days ago. They voided my warranty & told me I was SOL. Now I'm thinking I need to buy something like an Octoplus Box, but can't get a definitive answer on whether it will work or not on my issues. Skip forward to today. Found a local place, visited them, & was told the phone is indeed unlocked. A prepaid AT&T SIM card connected to the network. A call to Metro resulted in them registering the screen IMEI to their network. The phone now works with my SIM card. Problem solved. That doesn't say much for the customer service of the seller or the warranty company.