Video output options

Search This thread

Tomaxda

Jan 6, 2012
As most people have probably already heard, the "MHL" port on the SGS3 isn't compatible with existing MHL accessories or displays (so it isn't really an MHL port then is it). See this site for more on that.

Sammie has released some over-priced accessories for it, but buying those would reward and re-inforce this move (the only nasty thing the've done on an otherwise brilliant phone) and they would probably become landfill when you get your next phone. Besides, Sammie recently indicated that this port can do more, so I guess that means they will release a second round of video accessories for this phone, making the first round landfill even before you move on to your next phone.

So, if someone really needs video output for their SGS3, what are their options?

Samsung makes a wireless (Wi-Fi) streaming video dongle for the GSIII, but this too appears to be proprietary and possibly just for the GS3. It looks like there are standards coming for wireless streaming, but they aren't here yet (e.g. Miracast).

Are there other wireless video streaming devices that work with the SGS3?

Even better, though, has any other company created accessories that are compatible with the fake MHL port on the SGS3? The best would be something that worked with the SGS3 and with standards compliant MHL devices and displays (of which there are now > 100), but I don't know if that is possible.

Actually, for some users, something a bit different might work...

DLNA for example, which allows you to play content from your phone on any smart TV. It's not the same as 'video out' for your phone, but I think some poeple are just looking for a way to get media from their phone to their display. And DLNA is very widely supported standard now.

Also, these are low cost Android 4 devices in the form of an HDMI dongle - you plug them directly into your TV:
Infinitec Pocket TV
The Kogan Smart TV HDMI dongle

firetruck41

May 15, 2011
Portland, OR
:meh: For $10 you can get the adapter from Samsung to use the old MHL adapters. The new adapter allows USB OTG, if I understand correctly, that is added functionality over what the old MHL offered. I don't think they changed just to make users buy new MHL adapters.

Sent from my android Iconia Tab using Forum Runner

Last edited:

Tomaxda

Jan 6, 2012
:meh: For $10 you can get the adapter from Samsung to use the old MHL adapters. The new adapter allows USB org, if I understand correctly, that is added functionality over what the old MHL offered. I don't think they changed just to make users buy new MHL adapters.

First problem is that would mean you need an adapter for an adapter, which is a cumbersome solution.

More importantly, I believe that what you are saying is not true: I have reviewed the info from Samsung so far and it appears to me that the new adapter adapter does not support any of the additional capabilities (USB org) that Samsung has recently suggested that the 11pin port is capable of.

That means that there will be new accessories soon to enable that capability, so you will have 3 accessories for that one port, just to do one thing.

nebsif

Feb 22, 2012
No cheap and trustworthy ebay alternatives yet??

Sent from my GT-I9300 using xda app-developers app

fylim

Sep 29, 2007
Auckland
Get a HDMI android tv dongle.

Then install mirrorOp sender/receiver for screen mirroring.

Works fine enough but frame rate may not be fast enough for gaming mirroring.

Tomaxda

Jan 6, 2012

georaldc

Jun 17, 2011
:meh: For $10 you can get the adapter from Samsung to use the old MHL adapters. The new adapter allows USB OTG, if I understand correctly, that is added functionality over what the old MHL offered. I don't think they changed just to make users buy new MHL adapters.

Has it been confirmed that OTG works together with the new MHL adapter? AndroidNZ couldn't get it to work in one of his video reviews

Se23

Oct 17, 2011
I couldn't get it to work.

mateo85

Jan 26, 2011
It's possible that .gs3 can play full hd movies over Mhl port or resolution will by like phone screen ?

Sent from my GT-I9300 using Tapatalk

AcousticBruce

Oct 28, 2006
I have bought a few products and have been successful at hooking my note 2 up to a tv with excellent results. I want to also hook up usb hub. I have had SO much bad luck even trying to find out a solution. It seems something is wrong here... oh I see now since I read all of galaxymhl.com. If there was any chance of me paying for the Samsung dock its NOT going to happen now. Dont ever mess with a standard!

I am ready to get out my solder gun and wire it myself...

I own this..

http://www.amazon.com/Cable-Matters...605012&sr=8-1&keywords=caBLE+MATTERS+HDMI+MHL

The micro usb is only for power only - NO DATA!!!

Also just bought this
http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B008FRJORK/ref=oh_details_o01_s00_i00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

The USB does not work with the phone! So sending it back today.

I need HDMI as well as DATA simultaneously. If I missed something I am sorry. It just seems people and products are not clear about this.

If there is a site on rewiring these cables it would be awesome. Does anyone have a solution???

Last edited: