Galaxy S3 - the sd card destroyer

Search This thread

tntgdh

Aug 8, 2012
Well it happened again. first the gs3 destroid my 64 gb sd card. now it killed my 32 gb card. they last less than a month on it.
soo good to spend money with sd card like this,,,,so happy....

Anyone heard of problems like this ? i'm so angry now i can barely think....
just lost my pacience and broke the damm card. have to control myself not to throw the gs3 on the wall...

Last edited:

gsw5700

Jan 31, 2011
Had my 32gb Samsung class 10 card since June and it's very heavily used with no issues

Sent via TCP/IP

Cdjones187

Dec 16, 2010
Iowa
Strange. I have been using same sd card since the beginning and no problems ever.

And I have tried basically almost every custom and official rom there is.

This.

Had my 32gb Samsung class 10 card since June and it's very heavily used with no issues

And this. I have the same card actually, and same circumstances. Have used a few other cheap-o's with no issues as well.

Sounds to be a problem with the phone, or you got ripped off on both failing SD cards.. Are they dead 'dead'? Non working in a card reader connected to a pc?

jonaz100

Aug 28, 2012
You didn't buy a cheap card or fake one from ebay did you? I've had a cheap card fail on me before (transcend) but it wasn't in the s3. I've got a SanDisk extreme now and it's been very reliable so far. Worth the extra money I think

Sent from my GT-I9300 using xda premium

ama3654

May 26, 2006
London
HTC U11
the cheap ones on ebay are absolutely crap, my friend had two returned one after the other, only 2 weeks usage and they are dead, finally got a refund and went for sandisk, working flawless more than a month now. go for the brand names, they are ok price now and save yourself from wrecking your s3 please

androidizen

Aug 19, 2012
www.androidizen.com
the cheap ones on ebay are absolutely crap, my friend had two returned one after the other, only 2 weeks usage and they are dead, finally got a refund and went for sandisk, working flawless more than a month now. go for the brand names, they are ok price now and save yourself from wrecking your s3 please

Ye I would echo this, cheap cards either "branded" or no name are usually open to fail after a few weeks / month I use a rule of thumb if the price in a retail shop is for arguments sake £1/$1 per gig and im buying online any thing more than 50% cheaper and its probably a dodgy poor quality card or so old its only class4 but seller isn't being honest.

You have to watch Amazon as well as those virtual warehouse peeps like to send crap cards out in place of quality you expected happened a few times. Now I stick to class 10 Sandisk Extream cards as others have mentioned never had a problem since and I can use them in my DSLR or any other device that needs high speed and stability.

If OP tries a sandisk and it still kills the card then you probably have a faulty card connector in the phone shorting the cards out.

btemtd

Aug 8, 2012
And again I've been using my 64gb card for over 2 months now
SanDisk class 10

It's perfect

Sent from my GT-I9300 using xda app-developers app

rz32

Sep 25, 2012
Playing with apps that boost speed of external sd card can kill it easily.

Jay Ssj

May 9, 2012
If you are using branded sd cards and stilll facing problem then go to samsung customer service :eek:

Sent from my GT-I9300 using Tapatalk 2

da.trute

Jul 22, 2011
Well it happened again. first the gs3 destroid my 64 gb sd card. now it killed my 32 gb card. they last less than a month on it.

just lost my pacience and broke the damm card. have to control myself not to throw the gs3 on the wall...

You haven't actually said what was wrong with the card, it could be that a chkdsk could have fixed it. Had this problem myself twice with CM9 and a CM10 ROM as they dont have support of exfat and they corrupted my card. However I fixed the partitions easily in windows using a micro SD converter by simply running chkdsk.

prank1

Jan 28, 2007
Iraq
I bought a genuine 32GB class 4 SanDisk MicroSD.
After about 2 months in my S3 it started continuously mounting/dismounting, then becoming write protected, then not being seen by the phone / computer, I ended up sending it back. Don't know if the card was faulty or the phone 'destroyed' it..

tian105

Mar 11, 2011
I've had a very similar experience with OP.

My S3 already killed 2 cards and I'm on my 3rd.

The cards are all genuine.

1st one was a patriot 16gb class 10.
2nd was 32gb SanDisk class 10/1.

The problem is that after a while the card would constantly mount/dismount.

Now on my 3rd.

DeadSOL

May 8, 2011
I've had a Sandisk 8GB class 4 micro SD card since my Galaxy S days. That means I've been using the card for almost 2 years now. It's been in my S3 for two months. It still works perfectly fine. Maybe you bought a faulty one (or even a fake).

The title was hilarious, though. It's like a trailer for a new movie.
Galaxy S3: The Card Destroyer
Tagline: It came from another galaxy on a mission to destroy every type of card known to humanity! ;)

javelar

Oct 5, 2011
I've used 3 cards without problem..
8 gb Samsung Class 10
32 gb Sandisk class 10
64 gb Sandisk class 10

da.trute

Jul 22, 2011
I've had a very similar experience with OP.

My S3 already killed 2 cards and I'm on my 3rd.

The cards are all genuine.

1st one was a patriot 16gb class 10.
2nd was 32gb SanDisk class 10/1.

The problem is that after a while the card would constantly mount/dismount.

Now on my 3rd.

did it just not appear when browser or did you get errors randomly telling you it had dismounted?, were you able to remount and it worked or did it not then mount at all. Did you try to repair by chkdsk /f /r format etc?. I ask this is what mine did after installing a non exfat ROM.

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    Strange. I have been using same sd card since the beginning and no problems ever.

And I have tried basically almost every custom and official rom there is.

Sent from my ASUS Transformer Pad TF700T using XDA Premium HD app
    Where did you get your sd cards from, and how much did they cost?

I got my 8 GB class 10, used it in my S2 and my S. Working flawlessly in my S3.