iPhone headphones/mic with Lumia 920

Search This thread

shaibs

Dec 21, 2012
I got 3 headphones with mic for my old iPhone, 1 of them (mic and 1 button only) works on the lumia 920.

The other 2 with 3 buttons - sound works.
volume buttons don't work and I don't care for that.

problem is, the mic doesn't work.

I did a lot of testing, I found that if I disconnect and reconnect it 2-3 times during a call (and only during a call) the mic will work for about 20 seconds and stop working.

During these 20 seconds I can end the call and start a new one, use voice control, or continue my current call. shaking the cable doesn't make it stop working. It will work for 20 seconds and stop for no reason.

Seems to me like a software issue, but I am not sure.

Anyone here knows if one of the converters/adaptors would make it work?
I mean FiiO (LU1 or LU2), or ADPTR-TRRS-35 (google it, sorry cannot post links).

Since the 920 suppose to support both configurations of TRRS (AHJ and OMTP) I assumed it would support these headsets.

My non-working headsets:
1. yurbuds inspire pro
2. Audio-Technica ATH-CP500i

If you know of any other adaptor that might work please let me know.

djrbx

Jan 9, 2007
Headphones made for the iPhone will not be fully compatible. You need to make sure you use headphones made for either Windows Phone devices or Android Phones. It's not a software bug. Apple moves the mic band on the headphone jack so that they will only work with an iPhones.

Apple does this so that consumers are required to buy headphones that are licensed by Apple and that they can only use those said headphones with iDevices.

EDIT: Using a converter should work. Although I recommend just buying non apple branded headphones w/ mic or a bluetooth headset.

Last edited:

shaibs

Dec 21, 2012
thanks for your yhkughts but i dlnt think so

Headphones made for the iPhone will not be fully compatible. You need to make sure you use headphones made for either Windows Phone devices or Android Phones. It's not a software bug. Apple moves the mic band on the headphone jack so that they will only work with an iPhones.

Apple does this so that consumers are required to buy headphones that are licensed by Apple and that they can only use those said headphones with iDevices.

EDIT: Using a converter should work. Although I recommend just buying non apple branded headphones w/ mic or a bluetooth headset.

@djbrx thanks but I don't think this is true. The Nokia Lumia 920 supports both AHJ and OMTP ( MIC on last ring or on one before).
but still - the MIC does not work on a 3 button head set. On a one button headset it works.

reason I was thinking it is a software issue was that if I quickly pull it out and back in while in a call the MIC will start working perfectly until I finish my call. But I have to do that for each and every call.

its not a problem in my device I tried it on 3 Lumia 920 all behaved the same.

I'm thinking the MIC transmits on different frequency or something lika that? I have no idea exactly what is going on but it seems like software issue since I can get it to work sometimes.

any other thoughts?

gilesjuk

Jul 7, 2005
There is no standard for headphones with mic. The way the extra ring on the plug works varies along with the button which often sends pulses to the device, it is how the pulses are interpreted that varies.

You need one designed for the phone you are using. iPhone headphones are awful, although the latest version seems to look better but I've not heard them.

shaibs

Dec 21, 2012
Standards

There is no standard for headphones with mic. The way the extra ring on the plug works varies along with the button which often sends pulses to the device, it is how the pulses are interpreted that varies.

You need one designed for the phone you are using. iPhone headphones are awful, although the latest version seems to look better but I've not heard them.

Yes, there is:
Search for OMTP in Wikipedia (can't post links)

There are actually 2 standards for headset with mic. AHJ and OMTP. thing is, apple is apple - never follow standards...

There is no standard for headset with mic and volume buttons - and that's where things stop working. as far as I tested, iPhone one button headsets works great on the lumia 920 (I tested 2, both works). the ones with 3 buttons don't - I tested 3.

As for their quality - don't know when was the last time you tried, but they have far superior headsets on the market than windows phone or any other phone. yurbuds are awesome, audio-technical, senns - are both amazing.
Granted - I can't stand "beats", their awful but ppl seem to like them not sure why.

The stock headphones I got with my iPhone 4 were much better than the stock that came with my Nokia... this is why I am so frustrated.

Well, guess there is nothing I can do.
I now have 2 very high quality headsets that I have no use for, I guess it's time to sell them.

Thanks for everyone's help!

gilesjuk

Jul 7, 2005
Yes, there is:
Search for OMTP in Wikipedia (can't post links)

There are actually 2 standards for headset with mic. AHJ and OMTP. thing is, apple is apple - never follow standards...

There is no standard for headset with mic and volume buttons - and that's where things stop working. as far as I tested, iPhone one button headsets works great on the lumia 920 (I tested 2, both works). the ones with 3 buttons don't - I tested 3.

As for their quality - don't know when was the last time you tried, but they have far superior headsets on the market than windows phone or any other phone. yurbuds are awesome, audio-technical, senns - are both amazing.
Granted - I can't stand "beats", their awful but ppl seem to like them not sure why.

The stock headphones I got with my iPhone 4 were much better than the stock that came with my Nokia... this is why I am so frustrated.

Well, guess there is nothing I can do.
I now have 2 very high quality headsets that I have no use for, I guess it's time to sell them.

Thanks for everyone's help!

Okay then, there's is no standard that everyone is conforming too :)

shaibs

Dec 21, 2012
LOL so true

Okay then, there's is no standard that everyone is conforming too :)

:) so true, but this is how it is everywhere

Even HTML have many different interpretations, even HTML5 which suppose to be one common standard doesn't work the same on all browsers.

The world would be a better place with just open source / standard and without these manipulative corporations.

morgads

Nov 30, 2005
Galaxy Y Duos
BOSE QC?

Hi

Anyone know if the BOSE C®15/QC®2 mobile communications kit works with the Lumia 920? I mean both mic and headphones of course.

Morgan

viper999

Mar 11, 2007
Holstebro
Possible fix.

I have a set of Bang & Olufsen EarSet 3i which has 3 buttons
and is made for the iPhone so the mic dosent work for my Galaxy s3.

However if i hold down the Volume button while pluggin it in it registeres the right way and the mic works.

I dont know if it works but have a go and report back :)
i'am also considering going for the Lumia 920 so this would be great info :D

Last edited:

schizo

May 11, 2007
Jakarta
www.freeratio.org

dc/dc

Out of all of my headphones (Shure SE102, Shure SE210, Klipsch S4i, BeyerDynamics DT250, Beats Solo HD, and Nokia Purity WH930), the only ones that work 100% properly are my Nokia Purity. However, I have successfully used the cable from the Nokias with my Beats and vice versa, so I'm tempted to get a coupler so I can at least use my Shures as they are earplugs.