[Q] (Q) Root on the Pantech Breakout?

Search This thread

PaulimusMaximus

Mar 9, 2011
Seattle
So I know I most likely have to wait awhile for the breakout to be rooted. I was just wondering if any of the developers on this site where actually looking at doing it as we speak? I have tried using other methods currently out there to see and no luck so far.

Ksehwail

Apr 7, 2009
I have also tried many different root methods none of which have proved successful. I recently had to upgrade from a droid incredible.i also have the Asus transformer which is the financial reason I had to settle with the Pantech. With the upgrade I lost my free tethering ability, I am now back to the Incredible until I can figure out how to root the Pantech. If anybody has some knight please let me know thanks.

Ksehwail

Apr 7, 2009
I also found how to get into recovery by powerng off then holding power and the search button while powering on. However I am still unable to root. Maybe I am not understanding what the system dump is.

dalladubb

Jun 4, 2010
A system dump is when a dev gets the phone to copy the entire Android OS to the computer sort of like a dump truck dumping it's content into a hole you made (in layman's terms). This allows the devs unfettered and unrestricted access to the core of the phone's software components which they use to find a flaw in the system that allows the phone to be rooted. That's step one.

Step 2 is after the phone's OS has been rooted is to use that to gain access to the phone's boot loader and install a 3rd party recovery (like clockwork) that will show up when you press the power button + the search button. Right now you only get the stock Pantech bootloader area which does nothing unless you have the Pantech stock firmware and a special software verification key. You have neither.

Step 3 is then using the stock firmware dump to create custom, flashable ROM's which you can then flash using the 3rd party recovery software.

We're well into step one with the system dump. I'm gonna grab it and see what exactly they did to stop Gingerbreak.

Ksehwail

Apr 7, 2009
Thanks for the information D.. I am going crazy I had just bought my Asus transformer so did not have enough money to buy the Bionic. Verizon initially told me i would be able to use the Pantech for unlimited tethering since I had a grandfathered plan now they told me it would be 30$ for 2gb a month. I am in desperate need to root the Breakout if anybody has any insight it would be much appreciated

raze5115

Oct 12, 2011
Mesa
[Q] How to root a pantech breakout

Is there a way to root a pantech breakout yet? I have tried superonclick, gingerbreak, and z4mod with no luck & I am running android os v 2.3.3 gingerbreaed.

Oct 29, 2010
Not yet, from what I've seen. And I'm with ya, tried all the current rooters. But looks like Google patched something in the 2.3.3 release that blocks the current methods. Hopefully someone will find something soon (wish I knew enough about programming). This is an awesome little phone, and with a little root and customization, will be amazing.

terpsfan

Jan 3, 2011
Thanks for the information D.. I am going crazy I had just bought my Asus transformer so did not have enough money to buy the Bionic. Verizon initially told me i would be able to use the Pantech for unlimited tethering since I had a grandfathered plan now they told me it would be 30$ for 2gb a month. I am in desperate need to root the Breakout if anybody has any insight it would be much appreciated

have you tried the wifi hotspot app on market? It works for the breakout and u don't neeed to signup for mobile hotspot.

Ksehwail

Apr 7, 2009
I am unable to find any apps that support wifi tethering on the Breakout. I have tried many including barnacle, pdanet, and more all to no avail. The only way I am able to use the Breakout as a hotspot is by using the preinstalled verizon app. I am currently on an ulimited everything plan and have been given a month free tethering. however, I am being told that I have a 2gb monthly limit and will be charged for any overages even with the "free" month. It was my understanding that having an unlimited data/web plan that tethering would follow suite, guess not. If anybody can offer some advice it would be greatly appreciated.

jacobwebb13

Oct 19, 2011
tethering app

I found the tethering app that works for the Pantech Breakout. It works as a widget instead of an actual app but it goes off your unlimited data plan and it doesnn't require root. It is called tethering widget by HI-DEVELOP XD

Bitthebeast

Nov 1, 2011
Another Breakout owner looking to root...
This phone would be amazing rooted! I don't believe everyone who is saying it is impossible to root

willcaff

Aug 11, 2011
vance
it's pretty unrootable(at the moment)

i had my breakout since it was released and have tried various methods to root it.
I even bricked mine while trying a method i was pretty sure would unlock the bootloader.so (for now) it is not rootable.:(

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    not sure if this will help but I posted the breakout system dump here:

http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?p=18211013#post18211013
    The driver it mentions in the instructions is on the phone. When you plug your phone into your computer, you should get an auto-run pop-up from windows. Open it up and install said delicious driver goodness!
    I was able to root and push superuser and su using zergrush but doing it manually. I couldn't get the script to run. I was then able to remove bloatware using root explorer.

once i followed the manual instructions here
    http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=1296916

i ran
    push Superuser.apk to /system/app and push su to /system/bin.
    Then back into adb shell:
    chmod 644 /system/app/Superuser.apk
    chmod 4755 /system/bin/su

rebooted and i was good to go.
    It's easy go ahead and try it :)

On another note once it's rooted what bloatware can be safely removed?
    SuperOneClick worked for me last night. I have super user. I put free wireless tether for root 2.0.7 on my phone and used root uninstaller to get rid of all the verizon bloatware apps.