[MOD][XPOSED][4.0+] Map Zoom Invert 1.0

Search This thread

bgreco

Jan 21, 2014
bgreco.net
Google Map Zoom Invert is an Xposed module that inverts the one-finger zoom gesture in the Google Maps Android app.

Introduction
The Google Maps Android app contains a single-finger zoom gesture: double tap on the map, then slide your finger up or down to zoom. I find this gesture quite handy, so I was quite surprised when a Maps update that rolled out a few months ago inverted the gesture without warning. Now you swipe up to zoom out and down to zoom in. This behavior is frustrating to me not only because I'm used to the old behavior, but because it now behaves opposite of the desktop version of Maps! Scrolling up zooms in on the desktop, but swiping up zooms out on Android.

The Module
This module, once installed, will intercept the single-finger zoom gesture in Google Maps and invert it, restoring the old behavior: swipe up to zoom in, swipe down to zoom out.

Installation
  1. Install the Xposed framework. Your device must be rooted to do this.
  2. Download the Map Zoom Invert module, activate, and reboot. Only install modules if you trust the author!

Compatibility
This module has been tested using Maps 7.5 with CM 10.2 on the Galaxy Nexus and first generation Nexus 7. I imagine it will work on all devices so long as you have a reasonably current version of Maps.

Note that if you have a version of Maps below 7.4, you already have the "old" zoom behavior, so installing this will probably invert the zoom and you'll have the "new" behavior! But I've not tested this.

Source Code
The code used to build this module can be browsed or checked out from http://hg.bgreco.net/xposed/.
If you're interested in how this module works, take a look at GMapZoomInvert.java.

Credits
Many thanks to @rovo89, for creating the Xposed framework that makes this module possible.

Last edited:

stone_ship

Jul 17, 2010
Binghamton, NY
This is so fantastic. thank you. I never realized the behavior was changed with the update, I just thought it had it mixed up all along.

Sent from my Nexus 5 using Tapatalk

lssong99

Jul 15, 2005
Woo! Actually I never noticed GMap has this function. I missed the one hand operation +/- sign in pre-6.4 and were frustrated that it was being removed in 7.0+.

okty2k

Apr 24, 2010
Great, great thing!
I did not realized until today that indeed, it is Google's fault and I am not stupid. :)
On the funny side of things, in case Google will go back to old behavior, will the module 'reverse' things? Sorry, it is a little (more) OT, but I could not help myself!

And congrats for making to xda news....

jigglebling

Jun 30, 2012
Just to clarify why Google reversed this feature, it's because Chrome and Maps had opposing gestures for the same zoom feature, now they're the same.

Don't know why you would want to have opposing zoom gestures, but it doesn't hurt to have the option I guess. And not everyone uses Chrome browser.

Could you add the option to reverse Chrome's zoom as well, so they match up?

Last edited:

bgreco

Jan 21, 2014
bgreco.net
Great, great thing!
I did not realized until today that indeed, it is Google's fault and I am not stupid. :)
On the funny side of things, in case Google will go back to old behavior, will the module 'reverse' things? Sorry, it is a little (more) OT, but I could not help myself!

And congrats for making to xda news....

Thanks for pointing out that xda-news post! I hadn't seen that.

If Google ever switched the gesture back, the zoom would indeed get inverted again!

Just to clarify why Google reversed this feature, it's because Chrome and Maps had opposing gestures for the same zoom feature, now they're the same.

Don't know why you would want to have opposing zoom gestures, but it doesn't hurt to have the option I guess. And not everyone uses Chrome browser.

Could you add the option to reverse Chrome's zoom as well, so they match up?

Ah, that sort of explains the change. I don't use Chrome myself. But then why didn't they invert the Street View portion of Maps as well? Swiping up still causes the image to zoom in... seems rather split-brained to me.

Maybe I'll experiment with doing the same for Chrome... we'll see.

dboss007

Apr 6, 2010
Thanks for pointing out that xda-news post! I hadn't seen that.

If Google ever switched the gesture back, the zoom would indeed get inverted again!

Ah, that sort of explains the change. I don't use Chrome myself. But then why didn't they invert the Street View portion of Maps as well? Swiping up still causes the image to zoom in... seems rather split-brained to me.

Maybe I'll experiment with doing the same for Chrome... we'll see.

Would love to see this!! Could you enable this in the webkit? Reason being, this would work in many apps besides Maps and Chrome. The new underlying webkit in KitKat is Chromium and ANY app that uses the webkit would have this zoom functionality reversed. If you're on KitKat, go into an app that uses a browser and try the double-tap and zoom. Works like a charm! Only it needs reversed. ;)

Aleq

Apr 6, 2008
Could you check Google+ Places, please? There's a map, it could use your inverting too :)
Thanks a lot!

hasenbein1966

Aug 9, 2011
Would it also be possible with a similar Xposed mod to disable this one-finger zoom feature in Chrome and other browsers? It's very annoying because again and again it happens that the browser interprets fast scrolling movements as a double tap, and involuntary zooming happens.

philippe734

Aug 14, 2012
Paris (FR)
github.com
Great idea to invert the zoom ! But, no luck for me, didn't work on my device running CM11 build M7 + Google Maps v8.1.1
I will check in futur for update of your module.

kevjef420

Oct 11, 2010
GTA
Would it be at all possible to create an xposed modual that would keep avoid tolls checked by default? Google maps is the only navigation app that does not let you select avoid tolls by default. I live close to the 407 hwy and if you do not have a transponder in your car you pay $17 just to use it, and google always tells me to take 407 hwy every freaking time I am going somewhere so every flipping time I have to go in to options and select avoid tolls. It drives me crazy. I would pay good money for someone to do this.

Please consider this as an option for your module or create a new one and I will send money your way.

Thanks.

Reactions: dVs_0n3

Eserim

Dec 4, 2012
Not a problem for me, but what is, and maybe this mod could be extended, is the map rotation. As I have small phone I can zoom in and out with a single hand pinch, but frequently google maps reads this as a Rotation event and swivels the map - not what I want - any chance of adding a setting to kill this?

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    Google Map Zoom Invert is an Xposed module that inverts the one-finger zoom gesture in the Google Maps Android app.

Introduction
    The Google Maps Android app contains a single-finger zoom gesture: double tap on the map, then slide your finger up or down to zoom. I find this gesture quite handy, so I was quite surprised when a Maps update that rolled out a few months ago inverted the gesture without warning. Now you swipe up to zoom out and down to zoom in. This behavior is frustrating to me not only because I'm used to the old behavior, but because it now behaves opposite of the desktop version of Maps! Scrolling up zooms in on the desktop, but swiping up zooms out on Android.

The Module
    This module, once installed, will intercept the single-finger zoom gesture in Google Maps and invert it, restoring the old behavior: swipe up to zoom in, swipe down to zoom out.

Installation
    1. Install the Xposed framework. Your device must be rooted to do this.
    2. Download the Map Zoom Invert module, activate, and reboot. Only install modules if you trust the author!

Compatibility
    This module has been tested using Maps 7.5 with CM 10.2 on the Galaxy Nexus and first generation Nexus 7. I imagine it will work on all devices so long as you have a reasonably current version of Maps.

Note that if you have a version of Maps below 7.4, you already have the "old" zoom behavior, so installing this will probably invert the zoom and you'll have the "new" behavior! But I've not tested this.

Source Code
    The code used to build this module can be browsed or checked out from http://hg.bgreco.net/xposed/.
    If you're interested in how this module works, take a look at GMapZoomInvert.java.

Credits
    Many thanks to @rovo89, for creating the Xposed framework that makes this module possible.
    Would it be at all possible to create an xposed modual that would keep avoid tolls checked by default? Google maps is the only navigation app that does not let you select avoid tolls by default. I live close to the 407 hwy and if you do not have a transponder in your car you pay $17 just to use it, and google always tells me to take 407 hwy every freaking time I am going somewhere so every flipping time I have to go in to options and select avoid tolls. It drives me crazy. I would pay good money for someone to do this.

Please consider this as an option for your module or create a new one and I will send money your way.

Thanks.