[GUIDE]How To Unbrick Your Galaxy Tab!

Search This thread

vkolas

Jul 26, 2008
Torrance, CA
Tip for a Bricked (Black Screen of Death) Samsung Tab

I finally solved my Black-Screen-of-Death problem on my Samsung Tab 7. I tried every trick, every key-press/button press in the book. I've been to all the forums and read all the suggestions. But, what ultimately did the trick is moving from a Windows XP PC to a Windows 7 machine (I'm thinking the issue was driver corruption on the XP machine). Also (I'm not sure if this step was instrumental in the fix) I installed the Samsung ROM update utility (USCC_i800_EJ06_SimpleDL.exe), and simply followed the directions. The Samsung Update tool flashed the Tab like nothing was wrong. When finished, the Tab rebooted and I was back into a fresh stock install.

On a side note, I installed Heimdall (see instructions at beginning of this thread) flashed it with the Cubed 3D (VZW) custom ROM and I'm back in business.

I'm not guaranteeing this to work for everyone, but it worked for me after 3 days of pulling my hair out trying to get the device to do... anything other than show me the black screen of death. If this tip helps just one person then I am a happy camper. I hope this helps.

My device: Samsung Galaxy Tab (SCH-I800)

yappoe

Nov 23, 2011
hey yappoe thank you very much, him it dire that they do it, go in the box pda, truth?

It is by that it does not do well the conversion to rfs?

Thank you Again mate;)

Greetings

Hey, Yes, just put in the PDA box on Odin. You do not need to convert the file to anything. just download it and put .tar onto ODIN directly.

Reactions: k0sh

farcry27

Oct 8, 2010
Link for P1000N

[ update] : a member posted me another link thanks.

Looking for a working link for a P1000N stock froyo ROM. All Multiupload.com links are currently down.

Last edited:
Reactions: putrabiru and k0sh

priyana

Jul 21, 2007
are you sure you want P1000N stock rom?
Looks like you might have Asian ROM, if that is the case, don't try the P1000N ROM,
unless you think it is a brick already so no harm experimenting?
Why don't you head to the Overcome ROM thread in dev section and try to revive using Gingerbread instead of looking for another froyo.

Reactions: k0sh

londonandlawson

May 1, 2009
I have a Verizon Tab than can go in download mode or it will just stay stuck on the samsung black screen. When I load up Heim to get back top stock I do not have the options to add the files needed the tutorial says. Please link me to any files I need, I would greatly appreciate it

I added a pic from heim and one of when i tried installing the rom and an error I got

Attachments

• Untitled.jpg
    Untitled.jpg
    79.6 KB · Views: 1,076
  • IMG_20120327_215502.jpg
    IMG_20120327_215502.jpg
    243.8 KB · Views: 1,017
Last edited:

oshamahue

Nov 12, 2010
please help...

I have Galaxt Tab Sprint Sph-P100

I used Odin3 v.1.85 ( included in the Quens_P100_EF17_ROOTED.zip )

I put Quens_P100_EF17_ROOTED_PDA.tar in pda slot.
and klik start.

But in the middle of the process, it said failed when flashing factoryfs.rfs

Now im stuck in this screen

IMG_20110920_144934.jpg

whether i pressed Power off and ON or
Vol Up + power or Vol Down + power or Vol Up+down+power

get me to that screen.

if anyone can help please. what should i do ?

EDIT : Problem Solve , revert to Stock 2.2 EA24 , boom ... back online...

I got this screen and I tried to flash with odin but it didn't work for me. I got a message like "Establisihing Connection" but it did nothing. I used heimdall and I was able to flash the stock rom and the galaxy tab is back to life.

rickballs

Oct 24, 2010
My tab only shows the battery but it doesn't charge it. No button combo work. Nothing. Please help

Sent from my Nexus S using XDA

steeq

Nov 22, 2009
Monte San Pietro
tab in COMA BRICK here, can't power on in any mode, i'm trying to let it charge with the wall charger but it's about three hours and no vital signs at the moment...
bricked during a simple restock, had to power off because it was stuck in the process (about half an hour of waiting before decide to risk it, ouch!) and now it's really dead...
can't go in download mode, pc doesn't recognize it and Odin don't show devices.
any hope i'd have it back alive?

EDIT: tried to recharge all night long, now, no way...

Last edited:

slaia

Oct 25, 2010
London, UK
Succeeded with UltimateUnBrickRessurector

He I'm having the same issue with my tab. The battery icon pops up but its not charging at all. Should I try Odin?

We are in the same boat. Two weeks ago I bricked my GTab by mistakenly flashing wrong FW, which was for my phone Galaxy S2. After that the GTab was dead, it didn't power on, no led lights, no download mode or recovery mode. According to k0ush this should be coma brick and would resurrect itself after charging at least 4 hours. In my case this didn't work.

I was frustrated and looked for solution by googling a lot. I tried many solution proposed there, but no success. I went to Carphonewarehouse, where I bought GTab, and the technical person advised me to buy a new one. Basically he wanted to say to me to throw the GTab in the bin.

I tried the UltimateUnBrickResurrector again and again. No success. Then I decided to flash older ROM (P1000XXJQ1, which can be found on this forum) and suddenly the camera LED of GTab flashed brightly. But I still couldn't power on the GTab. Then I repeated the process and hoppla... I could boot the GTab into download mode.

Then in the download mode I flashed the latest ROM (JPI) with Odin and my GTab is alive again.

I told the whole story in length in order to show how many times I tried different things in desperation. I hope this will help you. The key was to flash older ROM JQ1.

I've just finished restoring all my backup by now and my GTab is working, as if nothing happened before.

olyloh6696

Oct 20, 2009
Manchester
Hi, my tab is stock unbranded from the UK, which samsung firmware do i download? Please reply.

Will the o2 firmware be safe to flash?

tnhtnh

Sep 28, 2009
read only

Hi, I can't delete or add files or flash rom i think a read only issues on the internal memory... is there any solution please?

xylu

Aug 29, 2011
Philippines
www.edajpage.weebly.com
my tab p1000 GSM, soft bricked

followed the instructionit booted and got stuck on SAMSUNG logo, any piece of advice?

i downloaded the open asia XJPE.. im from Philippines sir.

@edit:
when wiping data/factory reset

it says:
formatting/data
formatting/dbdata
E:format_volume: rfs format failed on /dev/block/stl10

can someone give me enlightenment?
tnx in advance.

Last edited:

yappoe

Nov 23, 2011

followed the instructionit booted and got stuck on SAMSUNG logo, any piece of advice?

@edit:

it says:
formatting/data
formatting/dbdata

tnx in advance.

you need to flash dbdata using odin on the PDA field.

http://xdaforums.com/showpost.php?p=23348040&postcount=121

fabri19

Sep 26, 2009
p1000n soft brick? Help!

Hi, yesterday I made a nand backup with cwm on a aokp ics rom on my p1000n, then a tried to restore from the backup and my GT got bricked. It starts and got stuck on galaxy tab logo black screen. Do I need to install stock rom to unbrick my GT? and where can I get p1000n stock froyo rom? does stock gingerbread works or just froyo?

Thanks in advance

k0sh

Mar 24, 2011
Galaxy World
play.google.com
Hi, yesterday I made a nand backup with cwm on a aokp ics rom on my p1000n, then a tried to restore from the backup and my GT got bricked. It starts and got stuck on galaxy tab logo black screen. Do I need to install stock rom to unbrick my GT? and where can I get p1000n stock froyo rom? does stock gingerbread works or just froyo?

Thanks in advance

if you still can enter the CWM then flash back your ICS rom. and don't use nand backups or restore , it may cause to brick your tab , if you want to restore the data from the previous rom then use advance restore and select restore data and app .
cheers

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    DO NOT MESSAGE ME BECAUSE WHAT'S IN HERE IS THE SAME I'M GOING TO REPLY YOU WITH.... :

Many of you guys are posting questions everyday about bricking your tab and most of you actually don't know what bricking is regarding to your device, in Phones\tablets there are three kinda of bricks which are listed below:

Warning :

Many People Are Soft\Hard bricking their Tab So Please Flash Safe And Read Carefully the Guides in Every Thread. Flash Safe

HARD BRICK

Unit does not power up, visibly charge, reach a boot-screen of any kind including a service or "download" screen. A device in this state requires service from the manufacturer or an individual equipped with the proper tools. There is no other way to recover a device in this state. (SpaceMoose1)
    you can refer to this guide to recover your HARDBRICK !!!
    http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=1312391

SOFT BRICK

Unit powers up, reaches a "download" or service screen, visibly charges but does not boot into an OS. Crashing, hanging etc. all apply here. It is easy to recover a device from this state so long as one has access to a firmware that was designed for the device and the ability to flash said firmware. (SpaceMoose1)

COMA BRICK

Device wont power on at all or respond to button input.
    Device powered off, NO show of big battery icon, even when charger is plugged in. Don't panic, let it charge fully for 4 hours from a mains supply not usb.It will start again !!!. Battery big icon will appear around 30% battery charged, I know because that's what I saw. I didn't check when it's in 10% or 20%. The 1st time I check was already 30% up from no-boot or no response. (cx5)

INSTRUCTIONS FOR UNBRICKING

Here are some steps you have to follow to make sure that your tab will work or will not work at all

HARD BRICK

Check to see if the device is actually "Hard" bricked by leaving it plugged into charge for atleast 4 hours via a mains supply (NOT USB).
    If above doesn't work you will need to send your Tab To Samsung To Fix it For you or visit this link.

( http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=1127978 )

SOFT BRICK

You can easily fix a soft brick by following the steps below:

GSM Tabs : All You Need Is Stock Rom + PIT Via Odin You Can Recover It By the Following Steps :

Download your Firmware from www.samfirmware.com
    (extract The Tar From the ZIP You Downloaded

Download Odin From The Attachment (this software you
    need to Use it To Recover You Tab

Put Your Tab Into Download Mode by ( hold Volume
    Down Button with Power Button )

Your tab will boot into download Mode plug your tab to your Pc\laptop after you make sure the drivers are installed and open ODIN

In ODIN Put In PDA Section ( TAR ) The stock Rom you downloaded, PIT section put the (gt-p1000_mr) attached with Odin IN PIT SECTION

Hit the start button , wait until the process Finish, your tab will reboot to confirm the new System.

In Case after ODIN finished and Reboot back into Download Mode Unplug Your tab and Force it to boot To Continue the process.

Optional : If you flashed stock rom and it didn't work with you , i recommend you to download RotoHammer Stock safe froyo get it from here http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=894763

Watch The Video Next Post

TAB SPECIFIC:

Telstra Tabs Follow This Guide ( http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=971870&highlight=telstra)

Verizon Tabs Follow This Guide ( http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=967175)

ORIGINAL NON ROOTED Galaxy Tab stock ROM for Verizon. http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=1136587

Sprint Tabs Follow This Guide (http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=1133053 )

P1010 Tabs Follow This Link (http://droidangel.blogspot.com/2011/05/samsung-galaxy-tab-wifi-p1010-original.html)

CDMA Tabs Follow The Guide Here In This Thread , Post Number 3 or Simply Click On Here : (http://xdaforums.com/showpost.php?p=14929111&postcount=3)

Please Note: If you Return To Stock Froyo And Not Gingerbread Please If you Want To Flash Any Custom Rom .. Consider To Use The Bootloader Patch To Give you The Ability To Flash Any None Official Roms\kernels ( http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=888071 ) .

Note: Do Not Flash Any Rom Is Not made For your tab . read The Dev Guide Carefully Always ..

Note: Do Not PM Asking Me For Help . The Steps Are given , Are The Same I'll give If You PM Me ..

Hope the Information is helpful to everyone, remember not to try something unless you are %100 sure, other wise you may brick your device, its better to be safe than sorry!!

Thanks Goes For Our Mod ( conantroutman ) To Accept This Idea To Be Presented To You .
    Thanks Goes For Natious For Helping Me With the Grammar :cool:

Flash Safe
    [Guide][CDMA][Stock rom] Thanks Goes For {boodafli}

1. download heimdall. get it here: http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=755265

2. download the stock verizon files. get them from here: Click On Me

you need all four files.

3. download the drivers for the samsung sch-i800. find those here: http://downloadcenter.samsung.com/co...v1.3.350.0.exe

4. unzip heimdall. go into the drivers folder, and run zadig.exe. at the top, select 'list all devices'. go to the dropdown menu, and select Samsung Composite USB (i'm pretty sure that's what it was called.) click start, and let it run.

5. open the heimdall front end.

6. put system in system (if you're flashing to ec02, then put factory in system)
    put cache into cache
    put param into param
    put the zimage into both the kernel and recovery slots.

7. turn your tab off, and plug it into the computer using USB. hold down the power and the volume down buttons until you see the little droid dude with a shovel.

8. click the start button on heimdall.

9. wait for the flash to complete (don't unplug your device, obviously, during the flashing.) once your phone reboots, it's okay to unplug it.

10. now, boot into the stock recovery, and wipe data and cache. reboot, and update to ec02.

11. enable usb debugging.

12. plug your phone back in to the computer.

13. now run superoneclick for root. get that here: http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=803682

14. either play with it in stock, or go find oldmacnut's excellent Better Than Life Rom, and follow the instructions to flash that.

15. enjoy your tab!

Now Go To His Guide And Hit His Thanks Button If he saved You *** Here

@edit:

it says:
    formatting/data
    formatting/dbdata

tnx in advance.

you need to flash dbdata using odin on the PDA field.

http://xdaforums.com/showpost.php?p=23348040&postcount=121
    You need dbdata.rtf

Please download this dbdata, and flash it using ODIN. It should fix your problem.
    GSM Odin What You Have To Put In ODIN

these are the two things you should put in ODIN .. Make Sure At The TOP in Left Side ( ID: COM ) The Yellow Color with The Numbers Are Showing , This Is Your Tab Means its plugged To Your PC\LAPTOP ..

Do Not Put Any Other Things In ODIN .. watch Here