(SOLVED) L2_HSIC wakelock solution

Search This thread

samdal

Oct 20, 2012
Edit: stock kernel with fix http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?p=42236453

A1 kernel also has fix! http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?p=30222169

I have had a problem with battery life due to l2_hsic wakelock for a long time. The wakelock has been present on both stock ICS and CM 10 with my P7500. Have searched for a solution for weeks and finally realized that the problem it is modem related. Flashed a modem from before ICS, and the wakelock is now gone. What a relief to get my honeycomb battery life back! I am now running CM10 and A1 kernel V1.8.4.

The modem I flashed was XXKK2.

Link to modems: http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=1867147

(Thanks to AAcount for sending me in the right direction)

Last edited:
Reactions: MnCC and odeccacccp

John Kester

Dec 26, 2012
Port Harcourt
Re: L2_HSIC wakelock solution

Are you able to make full voice calls with the device after flashing this modem? How good is the reception for mobile data, stable or flunctuating? I am CM10 4.1.2.

Thanks.

Sent from my GT-P7500 using xda app-developers app

samdal

Oct 20, 2012
Are you able to make full voice calls with the device after flashing this modem? How good is the reception for mobile data, stable or flunctuating? I am CM10 4.1.2.

Thanks.

I am also on CM10 4.1.2. Unfortunately, I have not tried using voice calls so I do not know. I am satisfied with mobile data reception, but have not made a thorough comparison.

Reactions: foreverman2013

picld

Feb 20, 2013
Well, that was disappointing...

I have the exact same issue with battery life, which on GB used to last almost 2 weeks (when the tab was not used much), and after upgrading to stock ICS 4.0.4 it now can't even hold for 2 days! CPU runs @ 200MHz ~85% of the time the screen is off and there are obviously plenty of l2_hsic wakelocks.

As suggested I replaced modem XXLQ8 with XXKK2, wiped cache and dalvik, but there is absolutely no difference in the battery life or CPU states.
I am truly devastated..
I can't imagine going back to stock GB, so is the only solution left for me now is to try an unstable nightly build of CM 10.1?

samdal

Oct 20, 2012
Well, that was disappointing...

I have the exact same issue with battery life, which on GB used to last almost 2 weeks (when the tab was not used much), and after upgrading to stock ICS 4.0.4 it now can't even hold for 2 days! CPU runs @ 200MHz ~85% of the time the screen is off and there are obviously plenty of l2_hsic wakelocks.

As suggested I replaced modem XXLQ8 with XXKK2, wiped cache and dalvik, but there is absolutely no difference in the battery life or CPU states.
I am truly devastated..
I can't imagine going back to stock GB, so is the only solution left for me now is to try an unstable nightly build of CM 10.1?

Have you tried in combination with A1 kernel? Changing the modem made all the difference for me. An I am at CM 10 with A1 kernel.

ccristal

Sep 28, 2009
Hi!
I found the reason of the high number of L2_HSIC wakelocks in my environment.
I have a Canon multifunction scanner/printer, connected via WiFi to my home PC.
It turns out that when you install the "Canon IJ Network Scan Utilities", there's a process called CNMNSUT.EXE that wakes up every second and broadcasts a BJNP packet to the whole local network. These packets are precisely the reason why I used to get so many network-related wakelocks (yes, I also had WLAN_RX_WAKEs).
Now... this process is responsible for the communication between the scanner and the Canon driver running on the PC: more specifically, it's the process that allows you to scan a document entirely from the scanner's panel, without having to do anything on the computer.
So, here's what I did to work around the problem, while still preserving the ability to scan via the panel:
  1. I configured a fixed IP address for the multifunction printer/scanner on my router;
  2. I restricted the communication to and from CNMNSUT.EXE only from/to the printer/scanner's IP address, using a custom rule in my firewall.
In this way, all the broadcast BJNP packets sent by CNMNSUT.EXE are blocked by the firewall, except the ones directed to the printer, and my phone doesn't receive those packets anymore.

I hope this helps at least some of you...

ccristal

odeccacccp

Dec 20, 2011
Bradford West Gwillimbury
I have had a problem with battery life due to l2_hsic wakelock for a long time. The wakelock has been present on both stock ICS and CM 10 with my P7500. Have searched for a solution for weeks and finally realized that the problem it is modem related. Flashed a modem from before ICS, and the wakelock is now gone. What a relief to get my honeycomb battery life back! I am now running CM10 and A1 kernel V1.8.4.

Hi,

Is the wakelock gone for you still? I've noticed it comes back sometimes. Can you please share a screenshots of the battery life and such?

Are you still using A1 kernel and this ROM 10.1 CM
or which ROM are you using?

samdal

Oct 20, 2012
Hi,

Is the wakelock gone for you still? I've noticed it comes back sometimes. Can you please share a screenshots of the battery life and such?

Are you still using A1 kernel and this ROM 10.1 CM
or which ROM are you using?

Yes, unfortunately the wakelock comes back from time to time, with a few days in between. My dirty fix has been to use the app Reboot Scheduler to reboot my tab every night. A reboot "fixes" the wakelock. This has reduced the probability that my tab is awake for any length of time and the total battery time is close to battery time without wakelock.

Sent from my GT-I9100 using xda premium

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    Edit: stock kernel with fix http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?p=42236453

A1 kernel also has fix! http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?p=30222169

Thanks.

I am also on CM10 4.1.2. Unfortunately, I have not tried using voice calls so I do not know. I am satisfied with mobile data reception, but have not made a thorough comparison.