[Q] DPI Scaling and Stock Apps

Search This thread

brewski30

Jan 4, 2008
I am having the same problem with the Quick Circle Case. The circle is up and to the left. I have changed the DPI to Android System, clock, and the Lge Weather since the weather info is displayed there all to 530dpi but don't see anywhere else that that the DPI could be off..... Anybody have any idea or thoughts on what other app could be changed? If not, can anyone recommend another wireless charging case since this one looks like its on hold till a custom rom fixes it?

partylikeaninjastar

Apr 13, 2012
SF Bay Area
I am having the same problem with the Quick Circle Case. The circle is up and to the left. I have changed the DPI to Android System, clock, and the Lge Weather since the weather info is displayed there all to 530dpi but don't see anywhere else that that the DPI could be off..... Anybody have any idea or thoughts on what other app could be changed? If not, can anyone recommend another wireless charging case since this one looks like its on hold till a custom rom fixes it?
To fix the quick circle clock, my understanding is you change the LG clock DPI to 640 and also check the box to apply it to widgets. That should fix the quick circle clock (after a reboot, of course).

I've had no luck fixing the lockscreen circle clock, though. It's small and I'd like to scale it to its default size even though I have my system wide DPI at 530.

Sent from my LG-D851 using Tapatalk

sublimaze

Oct 13, 2010
Changing the DPI of the G3 really transforms it, so much so that I would have a hard time going back to stock DPI now....The G3 comes out of the box as if it's designed for visually impaired users.

I had the exact same thought before changing the DPI.

One other subtle tweak I did was set my status bar to solid black using G3 TweaksBox. Not only does it match the black nav bar now, but I think it just looks better than that gray color LG uses by default in non-LG apps.

I changed my status & nav bars to automatically match the color of the active app [emoji41]

Sent from my Nexus 4 using Tapatalk

kchino

Mar 11, 2008
The only app that is really screwed up for me due to dpi is Swiftkey, It's literally ginormous. Like 4 keys take up the entire allotted screen real estate for the keyboard. I've tried changing the dpi through App Settings with no result. Relegated to Google Keyboard and Flesky, I usually have all three in rotation depending on what I'm writing. I'm using the ZoneRom and have SystemUi at 530, besides this one quirk everything else is running great.

Xygod

Jan 2, 2010
I changed the System UI to 530 DPI using App Settings module and now my lock screen is like this :confused: Any suggestions? :highfive:

Attachments

• lockscreen.png
    lockscreen.png
    217.5 KB · Views: 227

Panzerapple

Sep 17, 2011
North Dakota
I have been going through the threads and is it just the T-Mobile version having issues with changing the dpi. I have tried the build prop method I use on all my Nexus devices instant fail. Tried app settings and adjusted the system apk. That was fine till I changed the lock screen wallpaper and got the fc. The international versions do not seem to suffer from the same problems. Any ideas that I am missing this phone would be perfect art 425 dpi.

Mi|enko

Jul 15, 2006
Finally isolated the problem I've been having all along. DO NOT use Root Explorer to edit the build.prop. The build.prop on this device is so large, than RE can't open the whole thing. If you make a change and save it, it truncates and removes anything that it couldn't display.

Reactions: Panzerapple

twiifm

Apr 12, 2011
I have circle case and this is how I did it.

I set LGHome Launcher to 540dpi in App Settings. Then in G3 Tweakobx I did the custom grid in the app drawer.

Then I set each individual app that I use often to 540 like Brower, Gmail, Fb etc..

This makes the launcher look more pleasing but it doesn't mess up any of the circle case apps

Takes more work this way though

pathtologos

Mar 9, 2009
Ft. Lauderdale, FL
I changed system wide dpi to 530 and when i booted up i got a "t mobile visual voicemail has stopped." plus, and this is REALLY weird, my device stopped "seeing" my external card. I wanna use xposed but I've noticed that some games break with it. Namely, final fantasy dimensions. Anyone else here game a lot that can tell me everything is ok using xposed tweaks?

Skizzy034

Mar 10, 2010
Amsterdam, NY
www.facebook.com
I'm also getting the small lockscreen for a second after turning the screen on. Its like it has to reload every time. It only pops up small for a second or two then goes normal. Has anyone found a fix yet?

Sent from my LG-D851

s_special

Mar 12, 2011
aturanen.jpg
I'm also getting the small lockscreen for a second after turning the screen on. Its like it has to reload every time. It only pops up small for a second or two then goes normal. Has anyone found a fix yet?

Sent from my LG-D851

Mines doesn't even resize. ?

---------- Post added at 11:00 AM ---------- Previous post was at 10:17 AM ----------

Is it possible that it's LG's lockscreen wallpaper software?
Can we use an alternative app to set the lockscreen wallpaper?

I've already tried editing the lockscreen app DPI but I see no difference
8usugena.jpg

Last edited:

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    As title states, it seems the stock apps are a little pain in the (you know what) to prevent the phone from doing what I want.

There's no custom ROMs yet so I'm more-or-less just playing with the stock ROM to get things working.

It seems like I can't get the DPI to go beyond 530 without annoying the stock apps. Stock is 640 DPI. DPI scaling makes full use of the stupid high resolution of the screen. I couldn't stand out of the box two notifications and bam you're scrolling in the notification tab. Add a few icon notifications and the whole bar is taken up. Silly for such a high resolution phone.

Bunch of Xposed tweaks later and bam. It works like a charm (including play store). Go below 530 DPI and the stock apps crash (see photos). Anyways smarter than me to figure this one out?

Photos tell a lot. It's night and day difference and now an awesome phone.

STOCK BIG FONT (removed some of the bloat)
    01_zps57614656.png

THIS IS HOW IT SHOULD LOOK STOCK (DPI in the 400s)
    02_zps24472b0c.png
    04_zps55e3ead3.png
    05_zpsb4511901.png

THEN BAM!!! :(
    06_zps2d74c3cc.png

EDIT: GOT IT. 530DPI is the limit. Now if someone smarter than me can figure out how to get the apps to play nicely I'm down. Otherwise I'm pretty happy with it as is.

Left: 530DPI / Right: 640DPI (stock)
    gotit_zpsef0917bd.jpg
    Finally isolated the problem I've been having all along. DO NOT use Root Explorer to edit the build.prop. The build.prop on this device is so large, than RE can't open the whole thing. If you make a change and save it, it truncates and removes anything that it couldn't display.
    Using Rom Toolbox Pro to change the DPI to 530 fixes the small lockscreen. I don't need to use APP Settings to change the individual apps dpi's either.uploadfromtaptalk1408650157309.jpg

Sent from my LG-D851
    Do you get force closes on system apps? I did that before with solid Explorer. I would have FC's viewing "app info"
    hy4a5ave.jpg
    Nope. Everything is working great.

Sent from my LG-D851
    Nope. Everything is working great.

Sent from my LG-D851

Thank you so much! THAT WORKED! I tried so many other methods for the changing the screen density but rom Toolbox worked like a charm!