Defective LCD? Repair under warranty? Experiences?

Search This thread

Osid

Mar 13, 2009
Milano
Just a simple question: I've buyed a refurbished Nexus 7 (2013) from an eBay seller in UK.

Device is defective: display always shows some vertical black lines. These are dead pixels? Could be correlated to bad handling during shipping? Exterior is without any scratch or sign. Device is in perfect state.

I think it's an hardware fault and that requires replacement of LCD panel.

WhGwpUk.jpg

I could send back device to eBay seller but I must pay shipping cost and it's an international shipping, so it's quite expensive.

I'm opting to use ASUS RMA under warranty. Nexus will be free shipped to ASUS Europe repair lab which is in Czech Republic (Brno).

This kind of defect is under warranty or there's a risk that ASUS could ask me to pay in order to repair my Nexus?

The only proof of purchase that I've are emails of eBay order and PayPal payment. Could be sufficient? Without proof of purchace I can obtain repair under warranty based on build date?

Last edited:

wantabe

Mar 8, 2011
Colorado Springs
Just a simple question: I've buyed a refurbished Nexus 7 (2013) from an eBay seller in UK.

Device is defective: display always shows some vertical black lines. These are dead pixels? Could be correlated to bad handling during shipping? Exterior is without any scratch or sign. Device is in perfect state.

I think it's an hardware fault and that requires replacement of LCD panel.

I could send back device to eBay seller but I must pay shipping cost and it's an international shipping, so it's quite expensive.

I'm opting to use ASUS RMA under warranty. Nexus will be free shipped to ASUS Europe repair lab which is in Czech Republic (Brno).

This kind of defect is under warranty or there's a risk that ASUS could ask me to pay in order to repair my Nexus?

The only proof of purchase that I've are emails of eBay order and PayPal payment. Could be sufficient? Without proof of purchace I can obtain repair under warranty based on build date?
I don't have any experience with refurbished devices but it's always been my understanding that they can tell when your device was sold based on the serial number. I'm sure that Asus will want copies of your emails for the RMA. Give Asus a call and explain the situation. One of my 2012 N7's I had to RMA for an audio issue and I thought that they were easy to deal with. Good luck!

Osid

Mar 13, 2009
Milano
I don't have any experience with refurbished devices but it's always been my understanding that they can tell when your device was sold based on the serial number. I'm sure that Asus will want copies of your emails for the RMA. Give Asus a call and explain the situation. One of my 2012 N7's I had to RMA for an audio issue and I thought that they were easy to deal with. Good luck!

I have RMAed device to European service center yesterday and today has arrived at the center.
I've sended with original package, all the included accessories and some paper forms (RMA module, declaration of goods, a copy of warranty form/card compiled and with SN sticker ).

I've produced also a copy of the invoice.

Now, my only fear is that the defect in photo will be considered not covered by warranty or warranty will be considered not valid, 'cause I've buyed from an eBay seller.

UPDATE #1: now appear in Check Repair Status page on ASUS website as "Product repair is in progress". Does it mean that it's considered a repair in warranty?

Last edited:

wantabe

Mar 8, 2011
Colorado Springs
I have RMAed device to European service center yesterday and today has arrived at the center.
I've sended with original package, all the included accessories and some paper forms (RMA module, declaration of goods, a copy of warranty form/card compiled and with SN sticker ).

I've produced also a copy of the invoice.

Now, my only fear is that the defect in photo will be considered not covered by warranty or warranty will be considered not valid, 'cause I've buyed from an eBay seller.

UPDATE #1: now appear in Check Repair Status page on ASUS website as "Product repair is in progress". Does it mean that it's considered a repair in warranty?
Sounds like it's all good.as long as you got an RMA authorization number and you should hopefully get it back in a week or two. ;)

Osid

Mar 13, 2009
Milano
Sounds like it's all good.as long as you got an RMA authorization number and you should hopefully get it back in a week or two. ;)

UPDATE #2: now ASUS website states "Product was repaired OK and is now packed ready for shipping or pick up." :)

So, it seems that's all good and very fast.
Will be the same device with some parts replaced? Replaced with another refurbished one? A new one? Sended back with "test OK/No problem found"?

Scott@ASUS

Jul 14, 2014
www.asus.com
Hello XDA,

If anyone has any questions regarding the RMA process or needs assistance with their Nexus, please do not hesitate to contact me. You can reach me by emailing me at CL-Scott1@Asus.com.

I am here to assist you with all of your ASUS needs.

Reactions: wantabe

wantabe

Mar 8, 2011
Colorado Springs
UPDATE #2: now ASUS website states "Product was repaired OK and is now packed ready for shipping or pick up." :)

So, it seems that's all good and very fast.
Will be the same device with some parts replaced? Replaced with another refurbished one? A new one? Sended back with "test OK/No problem found"?
Good deal! That was fast! If you want to verify that you get the same one back you can go into Settings/About tablet/Status and check the serial number. My experience was that I got the same one back but it's not unheard of for a device to be replaced. I wouldn't expect a refurbished unit to be replaced with a new one but who knows? Good luck I hope your N7 works well for you! ;)

Osid

Mar 13, 2009
Milano
Today I've received my Nexus 7 (2013) repaired! :)

Was replaced LCD+FRONT+GPS MODULE

Fast work and good support ;)

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    Hello XDA,

If anyone has any questions regarding the RMA process or needs assistance with their Nexus, please do not hesitate to contact me. You can reach me by emailing me at CL-Scott1@Asus.com.

I am here to assist you with all of your ASUS needs.