GPS Antenna Hardware Hack only 2 seconds to fix GPS status ;)

Search This thread

TylerDurben

May 14, 2010
Google Pixel 6 Pro
Google Pixel 8 Pro
This thread is only interesting for technical gifted people, because you can brick your device !!!
I would like to share a GPS Antenna Hardware Hack i found here "http://www.androidpit.de/de/android/forum/thread/435065/HTC-Desire-HD-Hast-du-GPS-Probleme-mit-deinem-DHD"into the internet some time ago.
I tryed allot of fixing apps and software modifications but nothing works realy good for daily work with gps so i started to soldering a cable (0,8mm) to the GPS Antenna contacts (have a look to the picture)
after the assembly and a new start I had after 10sec sat-fix from 5-6 satellites in the room!!!
Outside I have sat-fix within 2 sec :D

Here some steps how to do, but be carefull you will lose the warranty of your device

1. open the device like in the youtube video described (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7qm_z65LA8k)
2. solder a cable to the antenna contacts like the picture shows
2011-09-25%2019_06_44111.jpg

3. assembly the device ... reboot and have fun ;)

CoreDroid_TeamSensation_Banner.png

Big THX goes to pooganes for sharing his idea on Andropit

ROM: CoreDroid DHD V8.2 RC8
Phone: HTC Desire HD
Android Version: Android 2.3.4
Build No: 1.45.401.2
Sense Version: 3.0
Kernel: 2.6.35.14 - Lord Clockan V4 CFS (with Killersloth UV Scripts)
Radio: 12.62.60.27U_26.13.04.19_M

Last edited:

ceyo14

Jan 16, 2011
So phones don't really have an antenna?

Sent from my PG86100 using xda premium

joooe

Sep 7, 2007
Great mod!
Yep, GPS is probably the biggest problem in the DHD.
In my case, I usually get fast fixes in GPS Status, but then CoPilot or Sygic take forever to pick up the signal :confused:

The solution seems to leave GPS Status opened in the background and then opening the gps program. :mad:

Other times, rarely though, not even GPS Status can get sat fixes.

I'll be trying other radio versions. But it's annoying stuff.

Sadly, I'm not very good with soldering. :rolleyes:

TylerDurben

May 14, 2010
Google Pixel 6 Pro
Google Pixel 8 Pro
Great mod!
Yep, GPS is probably the biggest problem in the DHD.
In my case, I usually get fast fixes in GPS Status, but then CoPilot or Sygic take forever to pick up the signal :confused:

The solution seems to leave GPS Status opened in the background and then opening the gps program. :mad:

Other times, rarely though, not even GPS Status can get sat fixes.

I'll be trying other radio versions. But it's annoying stuff.
;)
Sadly, I'm not very good with soldering. :rolleyes:

with my hardwarehack u can delete faster fix and every other gps fix apps, i tested something around 10 fix aps and mods but nothing works realy good for me.
after soldering the cable to the device it works like my garmin gps system ;)
and hey u dont need to be a soldering good, have a look to the contacts and think about it ;)

joooe

Sep 7, 2007
If I could find a way of isolating only the pins while soldering, that would protect the motherboard from any mistake I make. Like a piece of aluminum foil with two little holes in it or something.
Hmmmm... Might try that.
Thanks!
By the way, what kind of cable did you use? Anything special?

TylerDurben

May 14, 2010
Google Pixel 6 Pro
Google Pixel 8 Pro
If I could find a way of isolating only the pins while soldering, that would protect the motherboard from any mistake I make. Like a piece of aluminum foil with two little holes in it or something.
Hmmmm... Might try that.
Thanks!

nothing special , i used 0,8mm copper cable that i had from an old headset

joooe

Sep 7, 2007
Ok, tried this yesterday.
No soldering though, as I was scared to ruin the phone.
Grabbed a 3 cm cable from a 12v car leds and just hooked them up to the 2 pins, just twisting a little so they don't come off.
At first the results where not much different. Opened it again, rewired them and voilá.
It's like magic. Just got close to my window and bang!, less then 5 seconds.
I even wiped the phone and installed the rom again and still works!

By the way, I looked at the contacts of the cover itself and tried to rub a little bit with a screwdriver to remove possible rust. Bad news.
Most certainly, the gps problem lies with these contacts. They are too thin!
When I tried to rub a little, I started to see the plastic underneath!!!

So, maybe, the little dark dots we see in them are just the plastic showing up due to use. That's why gps doesn't work as it should.

ivolol

Oct 14, 2010
Melbourne
Grabbed a 3 cm cable from a 12v car leds and just hooked them up to the 2 pins, just twisting a little so they don't come off.
At first the results where not much different. Opened it again, rewired them and voilá.

By the way, I looked at the contacts of the cover itself and tried to rub a little bit with a screwdriver to remove possible rust. Bad news.

So, maybe, the little dark dots we see in them are just the plastic showing up due to use. That's why gps doesn't work as it should.

The GPS chip will store satellite location data (in itself) even through a ROM wipe, afaik. So once you get a fix once, it will usually be much faster to lock thereafter (for a day or two, in the same location). You can use GPS Status to wipe the GPS chip's data to get a true cold fixes for testing.

joooe

Sep 7, 2007
I don't remember if I wiped the gps data with Gps Status.
Going to try it now. :D

---------- Post added at 01:17 PM ---------- Previous post was at 12:38 PM ----------

Reseted the A-GPS data, didn't even dowloaded an updated one (my monthly data plan is over for this month) and I can confirm that the lock showed up in less than 10 secs, both in GPS Status and CoPilot.
I'm indoors, on the second floor, with big windows. Phone was left against the window glass.

Brilliant stuff. :)

TylerDurben

May 14, 2010
Google Pixel 6 Pro
Google Pixel 8 Pro
I don't remember if I wiped the gps data with Gps Status.
Going to try it now. :D

---------- Post added at 01:17 PM ---------- Previous post was at 12:38 PM ----------

Reseted the A-GPS data, didn't even dowloaded an updated one (my monthly data plan is over for this month) and I can confirm that the lock showed up in less than 10 secs, both in GPS Status and CoPilot.
I'm indoors, on the second floor, with big windows. Phone was left against the window glass.

Brilliant stuff. :)

Congratulation ;)

dude-dancing.gif

Overloaded

Apr 23, 2009
Damn, your too late :p

Took my phone apart a few weeks ago to pimp it :p

But don't want to take that thing of again because it's a pain in the ass.

joooe

Sep 7, 2007
Damn, your too late :p

Took my phone apart a few weeks ago to pimp it :p

But don't want to take that thing of again because it's a pain in the ass.

Not really. Use a small customized tool, slightly bent at the tip and insert it carefully through the battery compartment, aiming at the cover. Just a little effort will do. The cover will pop up sligthly, just enough for you to put your nail in it.

s0litaire

Nov 3, 2010
Ayrshire
Wonder how easy it would be to get 2 of the small ipex connectors and make a small cable yourself?

would be a lot safer then soldering it...

laserb3ak

Mar 17, 2011
Adelaide
Firstly this "hack" takes longer than 2 seconds...

Secondly a large majority of GPS reception issues in DHD are related to bad contact between phone and antenna.

So check this connection before voiding your warrenty.

otherwise thanks for the info.

Reactions: Klemmer1

moh8021

May 13, 2011
so i tried this, and i had to solder the contacts on the antena to have contact with wire and little doohickey thing that pops out of the motherboard, it works better but its not that big of a difference sure i get 3 more satellite locks, unless you guys are using a patch, which i don't know about, plus sometimes it takes more than 10 second to find satellite, are you guys using a patch??

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    This thread is only interesting for technical gifted people, because you can brick your device !!!
    I would like to share a GPS Antenna Hardware Hack i found here "http://www.androidpit.de/de/android/forum/thread/435065/HTC-Desire-HD-Hast-du-GPS-Probleme-mit-deinem-DHD"into the internet some time ago.
    I tryed allot of fixing apps and software modifications but nothing works realy good for daily work with gps so i started to soldering a cable (0,8mm) to the GPS Antenna contacts (have a look to the picture)
    after the assembly and a new start I had after 10sec sat-fix from 5-6 satellites in the room!!!

Here some steps how to do, but be carefull you will lose the warranty of your device

1. open the device like in the youtube video described (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7qm_z65LA8k)
    2011-09-25%2019_06_44111.jpg

3. assembly the device ... reboot and have fun ;)

CoreDroid_TeamSensation_Banner.png

Big THX goes to pooganes for sharing his idea on Andropit

ROM: CoreDroid DHD V8.2 RC8
    Phone: HTC Desire HD
    Android Version: Android 2.3.4
    Build No: 1.45.401.2
    Sense Version: 3.0
    Kernel: 2.6.35.14 - Lord Clockan V4 CFS (with Killersloth UV Scripts)
    Radio: 12.62.60.27U_26.13.04.19_M
    I would like to share a GPS Antenna Hardware Hack i found into the internet some time ago.

1. open the device
    3. assembly the device ... reboot and have fun

I enyo that all of you like this work but this was Copy and Paste from a other forum. NeXT times, it would be nice if you could call my name and the forum where you found it, because it is MY PICTURE MY IDEA...made in Germany!... still nice that you like it, but thanks goes to me :)

Hmmmm... Might try that.
    Thanks!

nothing special , i used 0,8mm copper cable that i had from an old headset
    Do you mind posting some pictures dj sampson?:)

uploadfromtaptalk1332124784861.jpg
    uploadfromtaptalk1332124799279.jpg
    uploadfromtaptalk1332124819543.jpg
    uploadfromtaptalk1332124831952.jpg
    uploadfromtaptalk1332124842262.jpg
    uploadfromtaptalk1332124852820.jpg
    uploadfromtaptalk1332124880159.jpg

Sent from my Desire HD using Tapatalk