Theme competition

Search This thread

sangeet.003

Retired Recognized Developer
Jan 9, 2009
Badlapur
will it be judged by build because i believe RC30 themes will hold the most custom icons/UI parts because they hold larger themes.

This competition is only for RC33 build as its the most latest build & includes all the stuffs included in the previous builds

also old themes means themes which are already posted are not allowed so everybody has a good enough time to make new ones...

mannyb

Dec 31, 2008
Interesting idea, doooshty. I definitely think it could garner some interest and help push the themes even further. It's a bit trickier now though, with RC33 and the space issue, but it's still doable if we make sure to design our themes accordingly and don't "waste" the precious bits and bytes.

Stericson

Retired Senior Mod / Retired Senior RD
Nov 10, 2008
This competition is only for RC33 build as its the most latest build & includes all the stuffs included in the previous builds

also old themes means themes which are already posted are not allowed so everybody has a good enough time to make new ones...

I am not ok with this being for only RC33 themes. This needs to be extended to both RC30 and ADP1.1.

Stericson

doooshty

Apr 2, 2008
Interesting idea, doooshty. I definitely think it could garner some interest and help push the themes even further. It's a bit trickier now though, with RC33 and the space issue, but it's still doable if we make sure to design our themes accordingly and don't "waste" the precious bits and bytes.

that's been part of the reason i've been taking sometime getting this together. i know there are issues with rc33...i dont want to have good theme designers not enter because of the issues with rc33, but at the same time i feel it may push people to really put in time to to find solutions to the problems being cause by the size limit. i'm looking forward to thisth...just waiting on more input on the money issue. my goal is to start this in the next few days. i'm off tomorrow hopefully we'll get this set up

MOONSSPOON

Feb 7, 2009
Seattle, Washington
I believe the platform (RC30, RC33, ADP1.1) of each theme should remain unannounced until the competition is over. Once over, it should be ported as well as possible to all 3, maybe with the help of another developer if need be. With the new applytheme tool, all graphical changes should be cross-platform compliant.

doooshty

Apr 2, 2008
I believe the platform (RC30, RC33, ADP1.1) of each theme should remain unannounced until the competition is over. Once over, it should be ported as well as possible to all 3, maybe with the help of another developer if need be. With the new applytheme tool, all graphical changes should be cross-platform compliant.

I am ok with this. I have no issues with this original competition being the choice of the designer. This will allow the designer to work in whatever environment they feel most comfortable in. If this goes well and there is an interest in more competitions like this I may branch it off into two different catagories, APD based and RC based.

To get the ball rolling I am going to have brandenk handle the money. If anyone has strong objections to this let me know, seeing as I am contributing $100 dollars and I have no issues with this and I hope this will provide other possible donors with confidence. If they do we will work on another solution if it arrives.

If all does well I hope we can start this before friday.

Rules.

1. No previously released themes, this goes against the push for innovation I hope to achive during this contest.
2. Designer has the choice to work in whatever enviornment he chooses...however RC33/ADP1.1 are the prefered choices as they are the most widely adopted releases.
3. The contest will last for one month from the start date. All themes must be recieved by midnight US/Pacific time on the final day to be entered in the voting. NO exceptions will be made.
4. The prize for this competition will depend on donations we receive, it will however be atleast $100 but no more than $200. If total donations exceed $200 the remain funds will be put towards future competitions. The winner will receive 70%, second place will receive 20%, and third place 10%.
5. The themes will be scored based on three catagories. Innovation/Originality(25% of final score), Technical Difficulty(25% of final score), and popular vote(50% of final score. If you are interested in being a judge let send me a private message and let me know. Judges are not able to compete, so any theme makers looking to sit this one out I can use your help as a technical judge.
6. All themes must be stable enough to run flashed to a phone and be useable.

If you plan to compete please contact me via private message, so i can get an idea of how many contestants we are looking at. I hope so see this bring out some favorites as well as some new faces.

If you are interested in donating towards the prize look for donation information soon, or feel free to PM me and i will get back to you with information when we have it.

Any questions and/or concerns may also be conveyed to me through Gtalk if you wish. Hit me up if you wish "Doooshty at gmail dot com"

sangeet.003

Jan 9, 2009
Badlapur
what if i want to post two versions of same theme means if i post same themes one for adp and other but the same for rc33 will both themes be allowed to participate?

doooshty

Apr 2, 2008
what if i want to post two versions of same theme means if i post same themes one for adp and other but the same for rc33 will both themes be allowed to participate?

You may if you like, however the version it is for wont be made public so as not to create a bias based on the version of a theme.

The judges may have access to this information as it may assist them to vote on technical difficulty and other factors, but when it is put to a popular vote this information will not be published with the theme.

I hope this answers your question:D

Stericson

Nov 10, 2008
your going to consider one version harder then the other? I will use ADP1 because you can't do everythin I will do on RC33. but I'm assuming you will think that because one has to compress the images for RC33 that it makes it a more challenging development platform and therefore should award a higher score?

Stericson

doooshty

Apr 2, 2008
your going to consider one version harder then the other? I will use ADP1 because you can't do everythin I will do on RC33. but I'm assuming you will think that because one has to compress the images for RC33 that it makes it a more challenging development platform and therefore should award a higher score?

Stericson

My intention is for thier not to be any preference given to one version or another due only to it's version. I do feel that in the case of two themes with all other aspects being even it would not out of place for an RC33 theme to get a difficulty nod. This is something I have thought through and I believe it to be fair. My feeling is that any advantages that RC33 may have in the difficulty catagory, the APD1.1 has in the originality/creativity catagory due to the additional options available. In addition to the voting, i believe that the Judges will need to know what version the theme is for so it can be flashed and tested if need be.

I will make sure the judges are aware of this and i will not appoint anyone a judge if i don't have confidence in them to fairly evaluate this.

I am planning of keeping the version type unavailable in the popular vote for fear that one's vote may be a reflection of the version they currently run on thier phone and not the most worth theme independant of the version.

As always, if the majority of people disagree with this I am open to discussion on it.

I hope this clears up any confusion

sangeet.003

Jan 9, 2009
Badlapur
Keeping the version unavailable won't let members test and vote the themes

I want voters to first explore the theme and then vote
By seeing just the snapshots they won't be able to test the stability, inner graphics and the other stuffs in it

Also it would be unfair if the wallpapers just are goog but the internal ui graphics are worst, then too members vote the theme seeing its home screen....

Think on my suggession please....

MOONSSPOON

Feb 7, 2009
Seattle, Washington
Keeping the version unavailable won't let members test and vote the themes

I want voters to first explore the theme and then vote
By seeing just the snapshots they won't be able to test the stability, inner graphics and the other stuffs in it

Also it would be unfair if the wallpapers just are goog but the internal ui graphics are worst, then too members vote the theme seeing its home screen....

Think on my suggession please....
Include plenty of snapshots and it will have to do. Themes should not be released at any point during the competition.

Voters will have to keep in mind that there is more to a theme than a wallpaper.

Stericson

Nov 10, 2008
Also, users are not really going to vote. I believe we are going to have a panel of judges who will test the themes and vote on the favorites, there may be some kindof general voting for the public but most of it is going to be done by the judges.

Stericson

JackD3ath

Jan 4, 2009
Satellite Beach, Florida
With Stericson and brandenk on ADP1.1 i am thinking about going to it more and more. I am still torn about whether i should use it or not. But I agree with having the comp include all builds, as this might convince others to switch over from one build to another and basically have us all conform to a consistent build, not especially worried about having the latest stuff a few days or weeks later as far as rc release updates.

doooshty

Apr 2, 2008
Great now i got RC33 working i am in. :D

I'm glad to hear it. You always do great work. I want to see what amazing things every one comes up with.

also NEW RULE

I have had questions about working as a team. I have no issues with this. You will be responsible for how the winnings are divided though. Please no more than 2 per team if you choose, I do not want to limit the number of themes submitted due to the fact that so many people are working togother.

thank you.