(Q) wireless keyboard for nst

Search This thread

09mysh

Apr 27, 2014
Xiaomi 11 Lite 5g NE
Hi, is anybody using wireless keyboard on nst? Wired one works fine for me. But when I'm connecting wi-fi mouse, it doesn't seem to work correctly, there is no control over the pointer. I am asking because that could give me bigger choice of keyboards, and maybe also would help to reduce the battery drain. Thanks

Last edited:

09mysh

Apr 27, 2014
Xiaomi 11 Lite 5g NE
thank you... So does that mean that wi-fi keyboard should work normally?... Sorry, I just don't have any to check myself. I don't wanna buy before someone will tell that it is possible. thanks

Renate

Recognized Contributor / Inactive Recognized Dev
Well, there's wireless, Bluetooth and WiFi, all very different.

You could use a regular wireless keyboard with a USB dongle on the Nook side.
That will work fine as to the Nook it looks exactly like a wired keyboard.
USB mode as it is now uses a lot of current.
You time between charging will drop to once a day.

Bluetooth would have been a good one, if only B&N had spent the extra $0.50 for the WiFi module with Bluetooth.
Bluetooth on a USB dongle would have all the drawbacks of the above wireless keyboard but would also require a driver.

Keyboard over WiFi using a PC or another Android device would work.
You'd just need software on both ends.

Many keyboards that say "WiFi" are simply wireless keyboards that use the ISM spectrum the same as WiFi does.
The easy way to check is if the package includes a USB dongle.

Reactions: 09mysh

09mysh

Apr 27, 2014
Xiaomi 11 Lite 5g NE
Thanks for very detailed answer. Yes, I was thinking only about keyboard with wi-fi dongle. I've already noticed that unfortunately bluetooth will not work. There is a rather small range of portable USB keyboards that are specially dedicated to android devices. I was looking for one with a stand for comfortable typing anywhere I will be... a train, park bench etc.... Or well, you can find many usb keyboards with stands on ebay for example , but they all looks almost the same just with different logos, cheap, poor quality ones. Market is concentrated on bluetooth keyboards, then a lot of them are quite decent. So I'm just going to find a good usb compact keyboard, and then mount some kind of stand to it myself. Anyway, that is not very important for others, this post might be already to long.

ok, my question is: will it help to reduce battery usage in usb host mode, if I'll use keyboard powered by batteries?
Excuse my English. Thanks

Last edited:
N

NOOK!E

ok, my question is: will it help to reduce battery usage in usb host mode, if I'll use keyboard powered by batteries?

A good question. And I have a related one - won't using a USB dongle and wireless keyboard take a good bit less current than a plain USB keyboard, because the port isn't supplying power to the keyboard itself? I know to expect things like "It takes more battery life from the WiFi than the current" but I'd just like to know exactly.

*Mice

:laugh:

franzli

Mar 15, 2010
Sorry to bump this old thread (and hope someone might still read this).

I was wondering about Renate's bluetooth suggestion above. I realise it would still not be ideal, but I've got a pretty good bluetooth keyboard for my other android devices and it would be great if I could try it with my nook as well (in particular I'd also be curious to test NOOK!E's question about power demand).

I'm running pinguy1982's tweaked ROM (http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=2651053) and have been able to connect a micro-USB keyboard (the cheap ones built-in in some cases) using Renate's USBmode app. Now I was wondering if/how I would be able to use a USB bluetooth dongle to connect my bluetooth keyboard. Using the USB app, it seems to be recognised - it says something about a wireless device under View USB when I connect the bluetooth dongle. Exact output is:

1d6b:0002:01 MUSB HDRC host driver
0a12:0001:01 CSR8510 A10
#1 - e0:01:01 Wireless
#2 - e0:01:01 Wireless​

I don't know how to proceed from here though, as there's obviously no menu point for pairing a bluetooth device. I've had a look around for standalone apps for this, but not successful so far (devices that have bluetooth usually have a regular menu for that of course).
Any help about how to proceed would be much appreciated!

PS:
Just found BlueInput, but it just tells me that Bluetooth is not available. I guess that means something else is missing (if this is at all feasible to work).

Last edited:

Renate

Recognized Contributor / Inactive Recognized Dev
Oops, sorry, I didn't see this.

The Nook has remnants in the build for Bluetooth support.
That's mostly in permissions and groups.
The WiFi adapter module on the circuit board does not support Bluetooth.
For an extra $0.25 they could have speced the version of the module that supported it.
I guess that it's not a priority for B&N, even the new Nook Glow Plus has the same problem.

Your Bluetooth dongle gets enumerated on the USB host, but there are no drivers to handle it.
This is indicated by the lack of black dots to the right.
A wired keyboard would show you dots.

franzli

Mar 15, 2010
Oops, sorry, I didn't see this.

The Nook has remnants in the build for Bluetooth support.
That's mostly in permissions and groups.
The WiFi adapter module on the circuit board does not support Bluetooth.
For an extra $0.25 they could have speced the version of the module that supported it.
I guess that it's not a priority for B&N, even the new Nook Glow Plus has the same problem.

Your Bluetooth dongle gets enumerated on the USB host, but there are no drivers to handle it.
This is indicated by the lack of black dots to the right.
A wired keyboard would show you dots.

Thanks for your reply! So I guess there's no hope to get this to work (except for possibly somehow adding drivers, which I'm afraid is probably beyond my capabilities)...

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    Mouses are not currently supported correctly.
    Movement gets translated into KEYCODE_DPAD KeyEvents.
    Well, there's wireless, Bluetooth and WiFi, all very different.

You could use a regular wireless keyboard with a USB dongle on the Nook side.
    That will work fine as to the Nook it looks exactly like a wired keyboard.
    USB mode as it is now uses a lot of current.
    You time between charging will drop to once a day.

Bluetooth would have been a good one, if only B&N had spent the extra $0.50 for the WiFi module with Bluetooth.
    Bluetooth on a USB dongle would have all the drawbacks of the above wireless keyboard but would also require a driver.

Keyboard over WiFi using a PC or another Android device would work.
    You'd just need software on both ends.

Many keyboards that say "WiFi" are simply wireless keyboards that use the ISM spectrum the same as WiFi does.
    The easy way to check is if the package includes a USB dongle.